Church hymns for weddings, for non religious people

HallGreenVillan

37 minutes ago, Xela said:

Most men would get married in a shed. The big church wedding is usually driven by the bride wanting a fairytale big day, something that has probably been a childhood dream fo them. 

We got married in church, and it was kind of this, but not for my wife's sake (she's as just as atheist as me), more for the parents. This was in the days before you could just get married where you like, so the choice was essentially between a grim registry office in Leeds, or a 12th Century church in the picturesque Devon village (with good pubs) where she grew up. No contest, really. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

I’m not married but I’d get married in a church despite being an atheist if my soon to be wife wanted to.  Church’s are spectacular in beauty, a great space for a large crowd to gather and watch the ceremony and there are very few other spaces in the uk that can match them for an event like that.  If I went back to Australia, there are better places to go to get married.

I quite like visiting churches, but It's hard not to think about how they were paid for.

• Like 4

We got married at Wellington Registry Office in Telford. It’s not an ugly building so it wasn’t so bad. We had a shoestring wedding, buffet at a local pub and that was it. My wife says if we were to do it all again it would be a big church wedding, meringue dress, the whole lot. I asked her if the next one is aware of all this yet?

• Like 1

We had The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba, from Solomon, by Handel.

After the wedding my mum was very keen to meet and congratulate the musicians.

I told her she had to speak quietly in to this little box, as they were very small Germans that had come over for the day from Deutsche Grammaphon.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

We had The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba, from Solomon, by Handel.

Yep, we had that (as well as Morning Has Broken). Cheesy AF, but what the hell. 

Â