Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

4 minutes ago, allani said:

Absolutely.  As I have always said - FFP (in its current guise) has nothing to do with fair play at all.  It is all about protecting clubs like Liverpool, AC Milan, Real Madrid, etc, etc by making it harder for other clubs to challenge them.  Ironically, what it means is that it makes it harder for well-run clubs managed by good business people to grow and become successful and makes it easier for "dodgy" owners looking for a new shiny toy that they then get bored off and just throw away (exactly the type of owners that FFP said they were trying to prevent) who can find all kinds of dodgy loopholes to get around existing regulations.

It will be interesting to see whether the threat of the Saudi league means that British / European clubs abandon FFP (as it saddles them with following rules that the Saudi clubs don't have to follow) or go the other way and actually try and ensure that a more level playing field for all clubs is introduced in the interest of protecting the integrity of the game.

This is interesting. Many years ago I did some work with the then European Commission on an anti-dumping application. One of the people in the Commission was keen on football and, while having a beer one evening, told me that football clubs holding a player’s registration was in his opinion against European Law as it was then. So if challenged things would have to change: then along came Bosman. 
So I think FFP and its current workings should be challenged because it seems to be essentially anti-competitive. Perhaps some clubs think this could be correct so have threatened to do this hence some of the low fines given in the past.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

This is interesting. Many years ago I did some work with the then European Commission on an anti-dumping application. One of the people in the Commission was keen on football and, while having a beer one evening, told me that football clubs holding a player’s registration was in his opinion against European Law as it was then. So if challenged things would have to change: then along came Bosman. 
So I think FFP and its current workings should be challenged because it seems to be essentially anti-competitive. Perhaps some clubs think this could be correct so have threatened to do this hence some of the low fines given in the past.

The interesting thing, and the problem, would be how many clubs aren't actually interested in competing, how many of the 20 PL clubs would vote against FFP because they want to compete with city, how many of them would vote to keep it because they like the status quo... And I don't mean the top 6 being the top 6 I mean the likes of wolves, Palace, Everton who see the threat of championship clubs getting bought by billionaires and taking their place

It being voted in in the first place always felt like clubs were misled and naive as to what it would actually do but now I think even with eyes wide open it would be surprising who wants it

Just now, villa4europe said:

The interesting thing, and the problem, would be how many clubs aren't actually interested in competing, how many of the 20 PL clubs would vote against FFP because they want to compete with city, how many of them would vote to keep it because they like the status quo... And I don't mean the top 6 being the top 6 I mean the likes of wolves, Palace, Everton who see the threat of championship clubs getting bought by billionaires and taking their place

It being voted in in the first place always felt like clubs were misled and naive as to what it would actually do but now I think even with eyes wide open it would be surprising who wants it

This is all true but only one club needs to take a case to law and if upheld would force a change. Bosman wasn’t a top player but his action forced a change. Likewise any club affected by FFP could take a case and if upheld would change or eliminate FFP. Law is set by Parliaments not football so cannot be ignored.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Personally I think FFP is a disgrace.

it stops investment.

however working with the system I feel and have done since it came out that owners should be able to set up a bond for contracted payments.

in other words owners can spend what they like as long as they put the cash up front into a bond which is then drawn down on to pay those commitments. This protects clubs from going bust which was the point of FFP.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Sounds to me like we aren’t done if the right player is available.

it doesn’t sound like another 40m plus player coming in though.

I do feel a “big signing” is on the way, to help us out in attack…

3 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Personally I think FFP is a disgrace.

it stops investment.

however working with the system I feel and have done since it came out that owners should be able to set up a bond for contracted payments.

in other words owners can spend what they like as long as they put the cash up front into a bond which is then drawn down on to pay those commitments. This protects clubs from going bust which was the point of FFP.

This is a very good idea as a bond is a good “work around” for those uncomfortable with the restrictions of current FFP. I like it because its proposal would test the vested interests of older “established” clubs.

1 minute ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Just watch us sell him to an oil club for peanuts. We should milk the life out of this

Milking the life out of it is simply getting his wages off his books. Any transfer fee is a bonus.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Sounds to me like we aren’t done if the right player is available.

it doesn’t sound like another 40m plus player coming in though.

Depends what crazy is! I don’t see that us signing another £40m player being seen as crazy, but signing a £70m player or buying two or three £40m might be.  I still think there is another one through the door yet of significant value

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Milking the life out of it is simply getting his wages off his books. Any transfer fee is a bonus.

Spot on and with his wage off the books perhaps we can get a Chiasa in

• Thanks 1

I’d like Gouiri possibly instead of Chiesa, sorry @Jas10, mainly as he can cover for Watkins up top as well as out wide left. He’s a consistent scorer too.

Kudus or De Keteleare would also be good as competition for Buendia (he can be our backup keeper 😜)

I think we might wait on the RB and back up keeper.

If Digne goes, a sneaky bid for either Truffert or Maatsen perhaps.

Two more decent attacking players in and I think we’d move for a top eight challenger to a top four challenger. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, burchy said:

I’d like Gouiri possibly instead of Chiesa, sorry @Jas10, mainly as he can cover for Watkins up top as well as out wide left. He’s a consistent scorer too.

Kudus or De Keteleare would also be good as competition for Buendia (he can be our backup keeper 😜)

I think we might wait on the RB and back up keeper.

If Digne goes, a sneaky bid for either Truffert or Maatsen perhaps.

Two more decent attacking players in and I think we’d move for a top eight challenger to a top four challenger. 

I wouldn’t rule out Ferran, and as much as people don’t like it - Felix… not at this point anyway…

Think it’s evident that Digne is needed too, at least until Moreno is back, fit and firing…

Edited by Jas10