Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, Risso said:

Other than Martinez, Ramsey and Kamara in the first team, I wouldn't be unduly bothered about any other player being moved on. They're all capable of playing well, but they all also have massive weaknesses. Emery is going to take time to shape the team so we won't be seeing a massive turnover straight away, but I think he's got his work cut out trying to get the likes of McGinn, Mings and Konsa to play consistently well and carry out his orders. They're just not technically good players, and those three especially need upgrading pretty quickly.

Couldn't agree more.

On 29/12/2022 at 08:48, CVByrne said:

We need a Keeper who the Defence are confident will make the right decision. We need a keeper who will run out and clear the danger when balls are played in behind the defence. 

I think Mings is our fastest CB and in a partnership with Carlos who is also quick and Martinez in goal we should be ok for now. Carlos has to take the burden of playing out from back as he was signed for. 

Emery will probably need one or two of his own defensive signings in the summer too. 

Spot on.

was you watching Meslier against Man City?.....played like a sweeper.

21 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That ain’t too shabby either!

I love to see us scoring goals, its the essence of the game......but defending builds the team, and creates stability in the league.

I am particularly encouraged by UE's record of being hard to play against, one of the reasons I was miffed at the Liverpool offering, I expected us to be more resolute.

but on reflection, they didn't do what they was being told......and he hasn't really got sufficient quality, to change things with affect.

I am confident, he will gets us playing the way he wants, but despite the improvement, I still see area's he hasn't got to yet......The Brighton game, was the biggest change for me, but I expect few to agree with that.

Time is of the essence, and I am looking forward to us morphing in to a team, few will want to play.

I would love 0-1 on Sunday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't think Unai is a bawler or shouter, but I do get the impression, if you are not a winner, you won't last long, with him....He won't suffer fools.

I think that was what the problem was for him at Arse.  He had so-called superstars like Aubameyang and Ozil who wouldn't/couldn't play the way they were supposed to, but he had no better alternatives and plenty of pressure from fans/media to keep playing them. I may be wrong...

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, TRO said:

I love to see us scoring goals, its the essence of the game......but defending builds the team, and creates stability in the league.

I am particularly encouraged by UE's record of being hard to play against, one of the reasons I was miffed at the Liverpool offering, I expected us to be more resolute.

but on reflection, they didn't do what they was being told......and he hasn't really got sufficient quality, to change things with affect.

I am confident, he will gets us playing the way he wants, but despite the improvement, I still see area's he hasn't got to yet......The Brighton game, was the biggest change for me, but I expect few to agree with that.

Time is of the essence, and I am looking forward to us morphing in to a team, few will want to play.

I’m hindsight as Liverpool played a long ball tactic we should have sat deeper. But we also created a lot of chances and on another day could have scored more and then wouldn’t be chasing the game. 

Lots of positives for me.  I didn’t enjoy the game because of all the blatant Liverpool fans in the Doug Ellis. Might just watch it on tv next time we play them.  

43 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

I think that was what the problem was for him at Arse.  He had so-called superstars like Aubameyang and Ozil who wouldn't/couldn't play the way they were supposed to, but he had no better alternatives and plenty of pressure from fans/media to keep playing them. I may be wrong...

You’re not wrong. He identified those guys needed to go but the fans and club weren’t happy and they were on huge wages that couldn’t be shifted. In the end when Arteta made those moves he had the backing because of what Emery had been through with them. Step one though is not binning people off - it’s figuring out if they NEED binning off or if, in at least some cases, he as a coach can raise their game.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

Apparently he was also given a remit of a attacking football. Whereas when Arteta came in he had the freedom to do what he pleased so went back to basics and made them more defensive. 

I do wonder how much control he had over transfers though. The Pepe signing was a shocker. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m hindsight as Liverpool played a long ball tactic we should have sat deeper. But we also created a lot of chances and on another day could have scored more and then wouldn’t be chasing the game. 

Lots of positives for me.  I didn’t enjoy the game because of all the blatant Liverpool fans in the Doug Ellis. Might just watch it on tv next time we play them.  

I get the positives.....and essentially, we played some good football.....but they could have scored a hatful on another day too.

but the same old errors, keep haunting us and the same old reponses get tedious....Some of the faults get reported by fans, only to be shutdown, by those that don't want to hear it.....Listen to Pete on the holy trinity show.

Some People can see, what we need to improve us.....Unai has to address it, I am hoping he can....I was honestly surprised SG didn't.

Look, I get it takes time....but I want to see credible action, in eradicating the same old reponses after a defeat, like this.....sure the missed chances, could have bailed us out....but that is it again, masking over inherent weaknesses.

Lets be fair here, we was just as open in the cup at Old trafford.....and the long ball undone us again....this is not something new, and we know what is said when we do the same things over and over....yes,Insanity.

We cannot play the highline, with the players we have, it takes us all our time, to play with a low block......its suicide.....but that aside, 9 players was in the box, when Van Dijk scored, most of them ball watching.

I don't want my team to be know as Valiant losers, bridesmaids or a good footballing side with a soft underbelly....I want us to be winners, more often than not.

It is doable, but we have to have the right team to do it with.....We have the right manager in Unai, but he can't do it without the right character/ talent/IQ of players.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Apparently he was also given a remit of a attacking football. Whereas when Arteta came in he had the freedom to do what he pleased so went back to basics and made them more defensive. 

I do wonder how much control he had over transfers though. The Pepe signing was a shocker. 

The essence of a really good football team is doing both attacking and defending when necessary.....that is exactly what Newcastle have done.

One without the other is mediocre, inconsistent, mid-table..... we have to pursue strengthening with equal vigour.

I get frustrated to hear us linked with one without the other.

16 hours ago, TRO said:

I get the positives.....and essentially, we played some good football.....but they could have scored a hatful on another day too.

but the same old errors, keep haunting us and the same old reponses get tedious....Some of the faults get reported by fans, only to be shutdown, by those that don't want to hear it.....Listen to Pete on the holy trinity show.

Some People can see, what we need to improve us.....Unai has to address it, I am hoping he can....I was honestly surprised SG didn't.

Look, I get it takes time....but I want to see credible action, in eradicating the same old reponses after a defeat, like this.....sure the missed chances, could have bailed us out....but that is it again, masking over inherent weaknesses.

Lets be fair here, we was just as open in the cup at Old trafford.....and the long ball undone us again....this is not something new, and we know what is said when we do the same things over and over....yes,Insanity.

We cannot play the highline, with the players we have, it takes us all our time, to play with a low block......its suicide.....but that aside, 9 players was in the box, when Van Dijk scored, most of them ball watching.

I don't want my team to be know as Valiant losers, bridesmaids or a good footballing side with a soft underbelly....I want us to be winners, more often than not.

It is doable, but we have to have the right team to do it with.....We have the right manager in Unai, but he can't do it without the right character/ talent/IQ of players.

It’s a real dilemma, I imagine, for UE. However, I’m not sure his default defensive tactic is a high line. Definitely didn’t play with one vs Brighton….in fact quite the opposite. I see an experienced coach who has the ability to tweak the system depending on the opponent. Going back to my earlier post, he is still in the early stages of assessing what the players can and can’t do….so he has to utilise the tactical approach he wants for each game and then hope that the players can adapt to it. So, vs Pool he will have seen that we struggled with a high line…..does he now completely abandon that option until he has had the opportunity to remodel the defence? Or does he persist with intense coaching of the tactic confident that he will be able to improve them at least a certain amount? That’s his dilemma. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if NSWE have given him the rest of this season to improve the current squad as much as he can prior to significant changes in the Summer if required. Not to say it’s a free hit…..more a patient process to clarify and confirm what we need to do to progress in 23/24. 

• Like 2

On 30/12/2022 at 13:32, TRO said:

“Boring boring Villa” please

shows how poor we have been in 2022 (not sure 2021 was any better).

FYI for those who dont see us, Villa are 73rd / 92:

image.png.e03e351f5c1b17002ae3396a4933c01c.png

the only current PL teams with a worse 2022 record are West Ham (76th), Leeds (78th), Wolves (79th), Everton (87th), Southampton (90th).

Fingers crossed that Emery can turn it around for us in 2023.

• Thanks 1

On 30/12/2022 at 15:11, TRO said:

I get the impression we have for a long time employed quite thick players as the same mistakes keep happening regardless of manager.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mantis said:

Has any manager had a tougher opening 5 fixtures (including cups) than him? Man United home, Man United away, Brighton away, Liverpool home and Spurs away is brutal, especially when you factor in our history against United. The fact that he got at least 2 wins from that is pretty damn impressive.

The pattern since he started is win - lose - win - lose - you know what happens tomorrow!

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

shows how poor we have been in 2022 (not sure 2021 was any better).

FYI for those who dont see us, Villa are 73rd / 92:

image.png.e03e351f5c1b17002ae3396a4933c01c.png

the only current PL teams with a worse 2022 record are West Ham (76th), Leeds (78th), Wolves (79th), Everton (87th), Southampton (90th).

Fingers crossed that Emery can turn it around for us in 2023.

27% of our yearly wins and nearly 23% of our goals have come in the 5 games since we sacked the piece of shit

We will be fine

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

27% of our yearly wins and nearly 23% of our goals have come in the 5 games since we sacked the piece of shit

We will be fine

And that's despite those 5 games being harder than average!

Really is incredible how bad Gerrard was.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

I get the impression we have for a long time employed quite thick players as the same mistakes keep happening regardless of manager.

I get the impression, you have a point.....hence my doubt about our recruitment strategy......I have had doubts about quite a few, for some time now.

Sure we get a few right, but we get more than a few wrong too.

I find it interesting how the Director of Footballs position is under scrutiny.

• Like 1

Â