Newcastle FC

ender4

Will Newcastle finish in the top half of the league?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Will Newcastle finish in the top half of the league?

• Yes
    • No

I just read in the Daily Mirror newspaper that Newcastle have only finished in the top half of the PremierLeague 4 times in the last 11 years!! :shock:

I never realised they were that rubbish.

I thought i must share this news with you all, and at the same i time i seem to have started a Newcastle thread (i don't think there is already one open anywhere)

Keegan also saying that he is aiming for top 8 finish this season.

So my question is:

Will they finish in the top half or bottom half this season?

I just read in the Daily Mirror newspaper that Newcastle have only finished in the top half of the PremierLeague 4 times in the last 11 years!! :shock:

2007/08 12th (43 points)

2006/07 13th (43 points)

2005/06 7th (58 points)*

2004/05 14th (44 points)

2003/04 6th (56 points) *

2002/03 3rd (69 points)*

2001/02 4th (71 points)*

2000/01 11th (51 points)

1999/00 11th (52 points)

1998/99 13th (46 points)

1997/98 13th (44 points)

On each of those four occasions they have finished above us, but they are the only four occasions Newcastle have finished above us in the last 11 seasons.

Newcastle get a hell of a lot of good will from the media. The main reason is that they probably have the best catchment area of any team in England, given that they are a one club city with only one local rival and absolutely no rival clubs north of them to the Scottish border.

When Geordie fans ask "what other club would get 52'000 fans a week when their team constantly finishes in lower mid table?" just tell them that any Premier League club with a similar kind of unrivalled catchment area will.

I've gone for yes. A defender or 2 will sort out their defence. Taylor will be immense sooner or later; possibly this season. They have a strike force to die for and they have some pretty damn impressive midfielders if they can keep them fit. And their keeper is highly rated even though I'm not a fan. So with Blackburn's collapse (imo) and Newky hitting the ground running, even taking into account Spurts undoubtedly getting back into the top 10, I'd say Newky are a decent bet to follow them above the likes of the shammers.

Joey Barton has been released from Strangeways after beating up a teenager last New Years Eve!

The CCTV footage shown on the news after the trial had finished was just horrendous...his brother is in jail for Murder...He's obviously got anger issues as it's not the 1st time he's his violent behavior has been a problem. Yet Kevin Keegan is going to welcome him back???!!

What message does this send out to younger football fans??... That it's perfectly OK to get steaming drunk and beat someone

up..kicking them senseless while they're lying on the ground!!

If Joey Barton was a youth team player Newcastle would have sacked him. If Joey Barton worked in the offices at St James' Newcastle would have sacked him.

As he was a £6m signing and only six months into a five year contract at the time of his offence, Newcastle will not sack him.

The board would not want to throw away a financial investment like that.

Newcastle are rubbish - they're fans are almost as deluded as the tossers who support Spurs in that they think they have a divine right to be in the top 5 and winning trophies.

Last season Newcastle were lucky they hit a tiny bit of form that pulled them clear of the relegation zone. Now they have got rid of a few players and signed next to no one - so they have a paper thin squad of has beens, youngsters and journey men - have they got a smaller squad than us?!?

Unless they bring in 6 or so players I can see them struggling at the foot of the table - and I'll be laughing by socks off when they are getting slammed 5 and 6 nil week in, week out.

Man Utd

Arsenal

Chelsea

Liverpool

Villa

Everton

Man City

Pompey

Blackburn

West Ham

Tottenham

They'll all finish above the toon.

Plus Boro, Sunderland and Wigan are capable of finishing above them, imo, but probably won't.

I put yes... thin their attacking options in the premiership can only be rivalled by the top 4 and spurs and possibly ours... their defence on the other hand i would rate as badly as Boro's and i can see Sunderland doing really well this season... but still believe they have what it takes to make it into top 10 this year, probably just scrape it.

The main reason is that they probably have the best catchment area of any team in England, given that they are a one club city with only one local rival and absolutely no rival clubs north of them to the Scottish border.

I thought that slightly to the south, Sunderland are actually quite near Newcastle? And if you move further down south there is Middlesborough?

I thought that it was Middlesborough that had no other clubs near them rather than Newcastle, unless clubs from lower leagues are included, then I wouldn't be sure.

Sunderland is slightly south, hence:

given that they are a one club city with only one local rival

Its a good 60 miles from Newcastle to the Scottish border. No other clubs in that direction. Middlesbrough isnt a local rival, its a shitty small industrial town a good hours drive away. Do you consider Northampton or Milton Keynes local to Birmingham? If not, then Middlesbrough isnt local to Newcastle.

Newcastle have a catchment area that is easily the best of any club in England. The only club that is comparable is Sunderland, and given all the regional media in the North East is based in Newcastle then the people on the satellite towns will be drawn to the Geordies. You can include satellite towns in North Yorkshire on that list, especially with the demise of the likes of Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday.

Newcastle are a big club, but its more to do with the massive support they can call on due to their location and lack of local rivals than any on pitch success.

2007/08 12th (43 points)

2006/07 13th (43 points)

2005/06 7th (58 points)*

2004/05 14th (44 points)

2003/04 6th (56 points) *

2002/03 3rd (69 points)*

2001/02 4th (71 points)*

2000/01 11th (51 points)

1999/00 11th (52 points)

1998/99 13th (46 points)

1997/98 13th (44 points)

On each of those four occasions they have finished above us, but they are the only four occasions Newcastle have finished above us in the last 11 seasons.

In their first four seasons though they finished above us in all the 4 seasons and had a couple of runners up finishes.

Also when we finish above them the difference tends to be slight (except last season when the gap was quite large) but when they finish above us there were a couple of times where the gap was huge (over 20 points difference).

Which explains why we are merely 5 points above them in the all time premiership table. Despite having a season's worth of points' advantage the lead was eaten into and overtaken during the mess of the GT / DOL era.

Fortunately MON came in and we reeled them back in and retook the lead! :D

Wiki

Sunderland is slightly south, hence:

given that they are a one club city with only one local rival

Its a good 60 miles from Newcastle to the Scottish border. No other clubs in that direction. Middlesbrough isnt a local rival, its a shitty small industrial town a good hours drive away. Do you consider Northampton or Milton Keynes local to Birmingham? If not, then Middlesbrough isnt local to Newcastle.

Newcastle have a catchment area that is easily the best of any club in England. The only club that is comparable is Sunderland, and given all the regional media in the North East is based in Newcastle then the people on the satellite towns will be drawn to the Geordies. You can include satellite towns in North Yorkshire on that list, especially with the demise of the likes of Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday.

Newcastle are a big club, but its more to do with the massive support they can call on due to their location and lack of local rivals than any on pitch success.

Sorry I'm not from England so I dun actually know where Northhampton and MK lie. :lol:

So seeing that Sunderland have a surprisingly large stadium of 49000 despite them being shit, is it also due to them having similar conditions (location wise) to Newcastle as well?

Also is Sunderland local to Newcastle? Or does only Newcastle exist in the city/county/whatever it's called/area of Newcastle and ditto for Sunderland, hence their support?

And why then does Middlesborough not enjoy similar support then? Is it because there ARE other clubs in the Middlesborough city/area or is it because they are simply a small shitty town?

Â