January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 minute ago, Rolta said:

He's not a winger or an attacker according to the scouting report I just read, which was glowing.

He does a few games on the wing and as an attacking midfielder according to whoscord. But seems to be primarily a CM.

honestly, if you look at Guendouzi’s positions played this season its quite similar. 

I just noticed that striker Chelsea spent £80million on has very average stats. Therefore it is clearly a mad signing.

(not serious, the one and a half minutes of a YouTube video I watched made him look like a more mobile Haaland)

My knowledge is complete.

6 minutes ago, Rolta said:

He's not a winger or an attacker according to the scouting report I just read, which was glowing.

I know , but neither are Douglas Luiz , Kamara or John Mcginn , I wasn’t expecting double figures in assists and goals but more than 0. I’m not suggesting he’s a poor player though he’s quite skilful and can progress the ball up the pitch but has to add goals and assists to his game.

10 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I know , but neither are Douglas Luiz , Kamara or John Mcginn , I wasn’t expecting double figures in assists and goals but more than 0. I’m not suggesting he’s a poor player though he’s quite skilful and can progress the ball up the pitch but has to add goals and assists to his game.

Angers are currently bottom of Ligue 1, their top scorer has only 4 goals.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

This is a good point.  I do think we will end up with a "solid" three in midfield (Kamara, Dougie + ANO Guendouzi?).  I also think that this will mean that we retain the ball better, build better quality attacks, are less susceptible to conceding after losing the ball in the middle of the pitch, etc - however, the one down side is that it puts more pressure on the attacking 3 to be scoring more goals.  However, I think that front 3 will be getting much better service, will have more time / space than we've given them over the last 24 months and as a result WILL score more goals.  I also think that Dougie and Guendouzi will chip in with a fair few between them when they have better cover and so feel better able to support attacks.  And whilst Kamara is mainly a CDM, his run and assist for Bailey's goal are a clear example that he's got the ability going forwards.

In particular reference to McGinn - I can see him being used more as a sub and also more in a way in which he can focus on the stuff he is good at (pressing and harrassing players in their own half).  So it wouldn't surprise me if he gets more assists / goals by virtue of the fact he'll be less knackered and also being slightly higher up the pitch.

• Like 1

Of the midfielders we are linked with, my preference would be Guendouzi > Ounahi > McKennie.

If Twitter is to be believed, McKennie has rejected us, and possibly Guendouzi has as well. And seems the owner of Angers has flown to England to discuss a transfer for Ounahi with English clubs, us and Leeds by all accounts.

Similar fees reported for those three players, but think Ounahi deal could be made up mostly of addons. 

47 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah stars at world cups or any tournaments but haven’t repeated that at club level is historically a poor idea to buy post tournament 

Absolutely.  I am not an expert on French football but seems like he's a rung below Guendouzi for example.  Maybe just a little pressure being applied to OM during negotiations - i.e. we have alternatives in the pipeline if you play hardball too much?  Just a bit of a niggle that he might be the kind of signing that takes 6 - 12 months to adjust - whereas we really need another CM who can make a more immediate impact.  That said I genuinely didn't expect Kamara to get up to speed as quickly as he has so maybe my concerns are completely unfounded.

Edited by allani
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Of the midfielders we are linked with, my preference would be Guendouzi > Ounahi > McKennie.

If Twitter is to be believed, McKennie has rejected us, and possibly Guendouzi has as well. And seems the owner of Angers has flown to England to discuss a transfer for Ounahi with English clubs, us and Leeds by all accounts.

Similar fees reported for those three players, but think Ounahi deal could be made up mostly of addons. 

This made me giggle.  But yeah I agree with you in general.  I think Guendouzi improves us immediately, Ounahi probably improves us next season and am uncertain that McKennie improves us much.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, allani said:

Absolutely.  I am not an expert on French football but seems like he's a rung below Guendouzi for example.  Maybe just a little pressure being applied to OM during negotiations - i.e. we have alternatives in the pipeline if you play hardball too much?  Just a bit of a niggle that he might be the kind of signing that takes 6 - 12 months to adjust - whereas we really need another CM who can make a more immediate impact.  That said I genuinely didn't expect Kamara to get up to speed as quickly as he has so maybe my concerns are completely unfounded.

I also think agents are throwing our name into some of the links.  I think Guendouzi link is real but less convinced on McKennie and Ounahi.  Then who knows on the wingers linked! We are very secretive on our dealings so it could be none of them and just agents drumming up interest. Interesting to see what happens.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MSvillain said:

Gab mentioned Marseille may be interested in Ounahi, so they could snap him up as a replacement at about 2/3 of the price if we buy Guendouzi 

It's been suggested our interest in Ounahi is just to put pressure on Marseille, so you could be right.

4 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

Gab mentioned Marseille may be interested in Ounahi, so they could snap him up as a replacement at about 2/3 of the price if we buy Guendouzi 

Thought the rumoured fee for Ounahi was £39m? Seems similar fees

Just now, nick76 said:

Thought the rumoured fee for Ounahi was £39m? Seems similar fees

I'm not sure it would be as high as that, I think that was the initial fee that was being reported during the WC, so probably just getting regurgitated in all the articles.  Angers are bottom and going to get relegated, I don't think they would be able to refuse any decent offers.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I also think agents are throwing our name into some of the links.  I think Guendouzi link is real but less convinced on McKennie and Ounahi.  Then who knows on the wingers linked! We are very secretive on our dealings so it could be none of them and just agents drumming up interest. Interesting to see what happens.

I think it is obvious that we ARE looking and we HAVE money (at a certain level) - so we are definitely credible when it comes to agents wanting to add possible names.  And of course "has been offered to ...." is a classic line that means **** all other than an agent may have called someone at Villa and said "hey my player x is available are you interested", the club rep says "Don't know - I just make the tea", agent says "OK" and then releases a Twitter story saying that contact has been made.

Interesting to see what happens though and it keeps me addicted to the news as it is entirely plausible that we confirm a player signing at literally any time.  Although I will be checking more frequently today because you know it is Wednesday and all that!!!

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I'm not sure it would be as high as that, I think that was the initial fee that was being reported during the WC, so probably just getting regurgitated in all the articles.  Angers are bottom and going to get relegated, I don't think they would be able to refuse any decent offers.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-talking-39m-transfer-26005957

Aston Villa 'talking' about £39m transfer target Leeds United want

But I agree it could be less but if other PL clubs are interested it may take that.

Edited by nick76

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Also you would imagine that OM would be able to push for more of the fee as an initial payment, whereas Angers might agree to a lower initial fee but with the promise of more add-ons based on performance.  So the fee might end up not dissimilar but we've protected ourselves a bit more in that some of the payments are based on the player and the club being successful. 

2 minutes ago, allani said:

Also you would imagine that OM would be able to push for more of the fee as an initial payment, whereas Angers might agree to a lower initial fee but with the promise of more add-ons based on performance.  So the fee might end up not dissimilar but we've protected ourselves a bit more in that some of the payments are based on the player and the club being successful. 

I would say, if true, that Angers have the stronger bargaining position as it means we’ve lost out on Guendouzi so are running out of options and we seem to be the only team in for Guendouzi whereas Ounahi has at least three PL admirers along with non-PL clubs interested so can request better payment conditions.