Train strike

chappy

Aslef, the train drivers’ union, announced it had an overwhelming mandate for further industrial action which will involve drivers walking out at nine rail companies in a dispute over pay.

A total of 974 drivers at CrossCountry and Avanti – 93% – voted in favour of a strike on 13 August, adding to actions already scheduled for that Saturday by drivers at Greater Anglia, Great Western Railway, Hull Trains, LNER, London Overground, Southeastern and West Midlands Trains.

Click

I’m 100% in favour of the strike action so can’t complain when it inconveniences me. Factor this news into your match day plans though for the early kick off.

😷😷 flying in for this game from Dubai and was planning to get train from london. Am thinking of driving now from London but will this be absolutely carnage? It’s the only game can make rest of this year 😢😢

16 hours ago, Amed said:

😷😷 flying in for this game from Dubai and was planning to get train from london. Am thinking of driving now from London but will this be absolutely carnage? It’s the only game can make rest of this year 😢😢

Could try National Express if you don't want to drive? Might take a while.

On 28/07/2022 at 16:40, Amed said:

Don't forget this has now also been moved to a stupid o'clock kick off time! 

30 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

The club need to communicate this asap to people to arrange alternative plans.

We have had a week of near seamless integrated public transport across the city for the commonwealth games. Next week will be back to reality of total gridlock.

Cant the club purchase some of those shuttle buses and say to fans park at the Fort/Star City from 11am and we'll pick some of you up or is that too short notice?

I actually caught a train on cross city line on one of the strike days so they do still run but it's every half hour so going to be insane queues at Aston and Witton stations so avoid at all costs.

On 05/08/2022 at 20:35, VillaChris said:

Cant the club purchase some of those shuttle buses and say to fans park at the Fort/Star City from 11am and we'll pick some of you up or is that too short notice?

I actually caught a train on cross city line on one of the strike days so they do still run but it's every half hour so going to be insane queues at Aston and Witton stations so avoid at all costs.

I think the people striking are different for this strike than the previous one, it was just the drivers on the 30th August.  I think the one next weekend is wider than just drivers. 

Might still be some service, but I wouldn't be relying on it to get you there,  and definitely not to get you back. 

• Like 1

Hi Guys, I am travelling over to London for work this week and have planned to leave from there on Sat morning to go to the Everton game. I have my ticket purchased with Avanti Westcoast which is due to leave from London Euston at 08.49, what are the chances of this happening? I see on their website they are hoping to have x4 services each hour running to B'ham, would my ticket still be valid if this was the case or would I need to purchase a new tkt for one of these services? Cheers

5 hours ago, barryvilla said:

Hi Guys, I am travelling over to London for work this week and have planned to leave from there on Sat morning to go to the Everton game. I have my ticket purchased with Avanti Westcoast which is due to leave from London Euston at 08.49, what are the chances of this happening? I see on their website they are hoping to have x4 services each hour running to B'ham, would my ticket still be valid if this was the case or would I need to purchase a new tkt for one of these services? Cheers

You're a braver person than me. Would get national express in those circumstances as too risky to turn up in the morining and expect the remaining services to all be running fine.

• Thanks 1

I’d be surprised if they have 4 services an hour on a strike day?! I’d book the national express coach if I were you. Ground is about an hour walk from the station.

• Thanks 1

On 05/08/2022 at 20:35, VillaChris said:

To confirm.  There are NO trains running on the cross city line on Saturday.  All West Midlands railway services are cancelled for the whole day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

To confirm.  There are NO trains running on the cross city line on Saturday.  All West Midlands railway services are cancelled for the whole day.

O.k so are the club genuinely just expecting 40k to turn up by their own means?! Everyone knows how massively congested Aston is after games when trains are running normally.

Just checked the website and there is stuff about VP tours with 80s legends, Aaron Ramsey, Man. City tickets going on sale....nothing about how fans who normally come to VP by train can get there on Saturday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chappy said:

Someone at the club is reading this thread :lol:

Helpful.. plan your journeys in advance. So what if you plan to drive instead, but every car park you could reasonably use is full? Or every road is congested to the point your bus runs late and you miss kick off.

Looks like they are expecting all 40k to make it to the ground by their own means. Buses will be overloaded, roads will be overloaded, car parks will be overloaded. I see no other outcome aside from a significant number missing kick off.

The really should be offering a shuttle service.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Helpful.. plan your journeys in advance. So what if you plan to drive instead, but every car park you could reasonably use is full? Or every road is congested to the point your bus runs late and you miss kick off.

Looks like they are expecting all 40k to make it to the ground by their own means. Buses will be overloaded, roads will be overloaded, car parks will be overloaded. I see no other outcome aside from a significant number missing kick off.

The really should be offering a shuttle service.

only the same as a boxing day match I guess.

35 minutes ago, blunther said:

only the same as a boxing day match I guess.

In a sense true, but as mentioned above , you have the added complication of this not being the norm, and not everyone being aware. Usually means more people making a last minute call to drive, impacting those that planned to drive, based on having had no issue doing so on a boxing day previously.

Also being first game of the season and some tickets/cards still not having been issued.

Imagine it will be quite a bit worse than a normal boxing day, but guess we'll see.

• Like 1

Â