Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So you just want to stay a midtable team? Adding just a midfielder really isn’t going to get us European place is it.

I actually think it might.

We have a lot of young players in this squad who are improving, and a quality midfielder would make a huge impact.

I think we'll see 2-3 incomings though with more emphasis on sales this Summer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So you just want to stay a midtable team? Adding just a midfielder really isn’t going to get us European place is it.

Games are won and lost on midfield balance. Our keeper is decent, advanced options are semi-decent, the midfield is the problem area - but we've got a lot of decent midfielders. The issue is that there's no balance. It could genuinely be as simple as one player to fix the balance.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, og1874 said:

The loan fee was probably another 5m

Maybe, I don't know what they have paid us for him for the second half of this season.....

I think it is likely the reported 15m is rubbish.

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

Maybe, I don't know what they have paid us for him for the second half of this season.....

I think it is likely the reported 15m is rubbish.

Nah it sounds about right to me, 18-20m all in for the loan fee plus transfer, plus wages off the books for 6 months (probably another 1m)

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

For 6 months. I doubt it be so high for a player we publicly showed we didnt want

Given the context, I would imagine it would be massively inflated versus any other team coming in for him on loan. From Newcastle's perspective, it also makes sense. 5m fee, if they go down they're not saddled with him, if it works and he helps them stay up, it's worth every penny versus the 100m odd they lose on relegation

Edited by og1874

2 minutes ago, og1874 said:

Nah it sounds about right to me, 18-20m all in for the loan fee plus transfer, plus wages off the books for 6 months (probably another 1m)

Well I guess we will see this time next year in the accounts, but like I said it is enough to buy a better player for us.

4 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Well I guess we will see this time next year in the accounts, but like I said it is enough to buy a better player for us.

While I agree, better probably isn't the right word here. Targett is a very good player when deployed in a specific setup. The issue is that he's a poor player when not in that setup. He felt it more than most when Grealish wasn't in the team, and I just don't think he had it in his locker to adapt - so he went to somewhere that he could be effective again. He'll be as good for Newcastle as he was for us last year (our player of the season, remember), so long as they continue to use him in a way that suits. The second they change that, he'll be back to this season's Villa Targett and they'll be looking to offload him, just like we did

I think "more system suitable" is the word to use, rather than "better"

Edited by og1874

13 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I actually think it might.

We have a lot of young players in this squad who are improving, and a quality midfielder would make a huge impact.

I think we'll see 2-3 incomings though with more emphasis on sales this Summer.

10 minutes ago, og1874 said:

Games are won and lost on midfield balance. Our keeper is decent, advanced options are semi-decent, the midfield is the problem area - but we've got a lot of decent midfielders. The issue is that there's no balance. It could genuinely be as simple as one player to fix the balance.

I think we are comfortably a midtable team but for me we are well short of a European place regularly competitive team.  A lucky season we may sneak an European place but otherwise we need more to be serious about European places.  

I think we’ll see more surgery on this squad in the summer, the last 18 months has shown we have issues. 

OG I think you sum it up, our outfield is semi-decent….that doesn’t get you European football.

6 minutes ago, og1874 said:

While I agree, better probably isn't the right word here. Targett is a very good player when deployed in a specific setup. The issue is that he's a poor player when not in that setup. He felt it more than most when Grealish wasn't in the team, and I just don't think he had it in his locker to adapt - so he went to somewhere that he could be effective again. He'll be as good for Newcastle as he was for us last year (our player of the season, remember), so long as they continue to use him in a way that suits. The second they change that, he'll be back to this season's Villa Targett and they'll be looking to offload him, just like we did

I think "more system suitable" is the word to use, rather than "better"

Well that is why I ended the sentence with the words for us..... I am saying the same thing. 

I recommended Sosa earlier https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/borna-sosa/profil/spieler/293194

He gets forward much more and gets a good amount of assists.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I think we are comfortably a midtable team but for me we are well short of a European place regularly competitive team.  A lucky season we may sneak an European place but otherwise we need more to be serious about European places.  

I think we’ll see more surgery on this squad in the summer, the last 18 months has shown we have issues. 

OG I think you sum it up, our outfield is semi-decent….that doesn’t get you European football.

I think with a reversion to 4-2-3-1 and two starting central midfielders of the defensive variety we would challenge for the Europa league 

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

No, it for sure doesn't. Your midfield needs to be your best group to do anything in football. I don't think our midfield is hideously terrible or anything, though. In isolation we have a group of decent players there, we just don't have the right balance and there's too much use of square pegs in round holes. We're playing an 8 (Luiz) as a 6, arguably two almost-10s (McGinn and Ramsey) as 8s (and also as strange stand-in full backs at times), and we don't seem to be bothered about a 7. Too many of the same type of player being used in the wrong roles.

9 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Do you think the 5 subs rule changes your opinion on signing Luis Suarez for 12 months?

Suarez and Archer on the bench with a new forward starting and Ings + Watkins sold is potentially where I see us starting the season

47 minutes ago, og1874 said:

Spot on.

Player for player we are on a similar level to West Ham, you could argue ours are better but we don't have Declan Rice...

Ings, Watkins and Suarez being our front 3. Archer getting another Loan. I think Suarez having a point to prove the year of a world cup would be excellent. He consistently outscores his xG even this season. While the profile of the club with Coutinho and Suarez signed on permanent deals can help get other targets.

Just now, CVByrne said:

Ings, Watkins and Suarez being our front 3. Archer getting another Loan. I think Suarez having a point to prove the year of a world cup would be excellent. He consistently outscores his xG even this season. While the profile of the club with Coutinho and Suarez signed on permanent deals can help get other targets.

I'll be HUGELY surprised if Ings and Watkins are both at the club when the window closes, more surprised than I'll be if neither are

1 minute ago, AVFCDAN said:

Spot on.

Player for player we are on a similar level to West Ham, you could argue ours are better but we don't have Declan Rice...

Sometimes you don't even need a Declan Rice, sometimes you just need a Gavin McCann tbh

1 minute ago, og1874 said:

I'll be HUGELY surprised if Ings and Watkins are both at the club when the window closes, more surprised than I'll be if neither are

I think our problems are down to our system doesn't create enough chances for them to score. I think when we played the two of them up top with Coutinho behind them it was very effective. I can't see why we would sell either of them as the market doesn't look like one we can get an improvement on them. 

• Like 1