Giants News

kkr

If i was saying that Philli were shit and that we are going to steam roll them this weekend i would agree with you, however this is not what i am doing. I am merely re-posting comedy images created by someone else for banterous purposes, he did a load last year also which i posted every week as well.

I have plenty of respect for the ability of the Eagles coaching staff and players, which is why i am so nervous about this weekends game!

With help of loophole, Giants create salary cap space

by Mike Garafolo /The Star-Ledger

Tuesday January 06, 2009, 9:46 AM

NOTEBOOK

Eli Manning, Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward, Amani Toomer, and James Butler, listen up: There's suddenly more money for the Giants to potentially throw your way in 2009.

And you can thank backup tight end Darcy Johnson for that.

According to NFLPA records, the Giants recently exercised a common practice used by many teams to create more salary-cap room for the upcoming season. Late last month, the team took most of the room on its cap for this season and converted it into a $7.2-million "likely to be earned bonus" for Johnson. At least, that's what its called; the bonus isn't really expected to be earned. And when it's not earned, it becomes a credit on the following season's salary cap.

In this case, Johnson's bonus was for special-teams participation. It's unclear how much Johnson had to participate to earn the bonus, though someone informed of the recently added clause in his contract said he did not reach it. The person requested anonymity because the terms of the deal were not to be discussed publicly.

The Giants now get to add $7.2 million to their salary cap next season. The '09 cap is scheduled to be at least $123 million, which means the Giants' cap will be at least $130.2 million.

The added money could be used to re-sign their impending free agents (Jacobs, Ward, Toomer and Butler are at the top of that list) or to give Manning a new contract. Manning is signed through next season and his contract is expected to be extended at some point.

The Giants' players are off today after participating in their conditioning and strength programs yesterday. They will return to practice tomorrow, though some players will be at the stadium for extra lifting and film work today. Coach Tom Coughlin said the coaching staff gave the players their film on the Eagles and a study guide yesterday.

Coughlin was asked about the status of RB Brandon Jacobs (knee) and DT Fred Robbins (shoulder).

"They seem to be doing okay," Coughlin said. "I am not going to say what their status will be on Wednesday."

Coughlin said there are some players who could be limited or out of practice. When asked who those players were, Coughlin replied, "I'm not going to say because I'm not sure exactly who they are."

Jacobs, WRs Steve Smith (tendinitis) and Domenik Hixon (foot/ankle), TE Michael Matthews (ankle) and LB Zak DeOssie (unknown) were out of action on Friday.

Coughlin said defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo won't be distracted by his interviewing last week with the Jets, Browns, Lions and Broncos for head-coaching jobs.

"I have talked to him," Coughlin said. "He's tried to keep me posted but there isn't any doubt in my mind that his focus is right here preparing for the Philadelphia Eagles."

C Shaun O'Hara suggested the offense was caught off-guard by how little the Eagles blitzed in Week 14.

"I think that we were expecting a little bit more," O'Hara said before adding: "I think that it's going to be two similar style defenses so we see some of the same blitzes from our defense that they run. It's going to be an offensive battle really for both offenses kind of facing similar defenses and it is always going to come down to a couple of big plays."

Thankyou Darcy Johnson!

Im having the same feelings as i did leading up to most of last years playoff games, especially the Dallas game, in which one moment im nervous and anxious and then the next im excited and the next i think it will be a struggle and then i think we should handle them and arrrrrrgh, why cant it be 6pm Sunday!

Coughlin: Jacobs ready to play

Posted: January 7th, 2009 | Adam Schefter | Tags: Brandon Jacobs, New York Giants, Tom Coughlin

Any questions about whether Giants running back Brandon Jacobs would be available for Sunday’s NFC Divisional Playoff Game against the Eagles vanished Wednesday. Giants coach Tom Coughlin proclaimed Jacobs good to go after a knee injury sidelined him from New York’s regular-season finale in Minnesota.

“He is pretty darn excited today,” said Coughlin. “I had to remind him the game is Sunday.

“He is a physical presence. He is a guy that we count on to set the physical edge. And we are looking forward to getting him back in the lineup, obviously.”

link

If he plays well this offseason we will be hard to stop. I hope he has a huge game Sunday and smashes the Eagles!

:crylaugh:

Is it just me that gets somewhat annoyed by certain US speak? On that SI cover "Philly IS dangerous".. it's ARE! NOT IS!

As for them injuries, if one of Westbrook, Runyan, Andrews, Dawkins, Gaither and Samuel doesn't play, I'll eat my hat!

Quote from Rookie DeSean Jackson:

"Everyone wants to talk about the Giants, they're the Super Bowl champs, they're so great...and they are still the Champs, but we're going to go in there and beat them."

Â