Giants News

kkr

Westbrook was in my fantasy team and he was on the injured list ALL SEASON........but I dont think he's missed a game. maybe one, but certainly no more.

He'll play.

sports068.jpg

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

Brandon Jacobs Brandon Jacobs came to work on Monday and nearly had to be hosed down.

"He was rip-roaring and yelling," guard Chris Snee Chris Snee said. "I kind of said, 'Hey Brandon, we don't play until Sunday at 1,' and he kind of looked at me like I was crazy. He's fired up. I love it."

Jacobs came to work yesterday and almost needed a sedative.

"Pretty darn excited," coach Tom Coughlin said. "I had to remind him the game is Sunday."

Jacobs hit the practice field, cut on a dime and ran with speed and power and without any restrictions. The pain in his left knee is gone.

"I feel real good, I feel real good about our situation," Jacobs said. "I just can't wait until the game gets here."

That energy is pent up in the tank-like body Jacobs uses to slam into opponents and set to burst out on Sunday, when the battering-ram running back, finally healthy, gets to unleash his full fury on the Eagles in an NFC divisional playoff game that's more akin to a venomous grudge match. With every step he took and every word he said, it was apparent to the Giants New York Giants that their beast is back.

"When we have him out there, he's kind of the lifeline of our team," linebacker Danny Clark said. "I can't find any guy in this league who is dying to tackle him. You have No. 27 lined up on the field, it definitely weighs in our favor. He's a spiritual and physical leader for us and everybody feeds off his energy. By him showing up for practice and the game, our team is a lot better already."

There was verve in so many of the Giants New York Giants , evidence that their bye week was successful in healing bodies and minds. There was also an effervescence surrounding Jacobs, who missed three of the last six regular-season games navigating through a torn left posterior cruciate ligament, an injury that also forced him out of the second half of the Dec. 7 loss to the Eagles.

So much of the talk for this showdown centers on the dangerous Brian Westbrook and the threat he poses to a Giants defense he ravaged for 203 yards from scrimmage and two touchdowns in a 20-14 Eagles victory, the only home-field loss for the Giants this season.

Jacobs, though, is a huge factor. The Eagles in the two games never really stopped him. He savaged them for 126 yards and two touchdowns in the 36-31 Giants victory at Lincoln Financial Field, and in the rematch Jacobs had 52 yards in just 10 carries before banging his already-hurt left knee and getting forced out.

By the time kickoff arrives, Jacobs will have not played in a game in 21 days. He's no longer considered injured because his name doesn't appear on the injury report.

"I can run full speed and make harder cuts. . . . I'm ready to go," he said.

When is the last time he's felt this good?

"It's been a while, since Week 3, actually," Jacobs said. "I've been playing since Week 3 with the same thing and I think I've been performing at a very high level. I don't think it's going to bother me on Sunday or at any other time during this run."

Despite missing so much time, Jacobs amassed 1,089 yards and 15 touchdowns. Now he's rested, healthy and ready. Before he ever hit the practice field, Jacobs was hyped.

"In the meetings, he can't even sit still," said Derrick Ward Derrick Ward , who joined Jacobs in surpassing 1,000 rushing yards.

"He had a little bounce in his step," Snee said. "We love his energy, we love what he brings to the table on Sundays."

If he can wait that long.

"I'm wired," he said. "You got to think about it, I didn't do anything for the past two weeks. I feel like my production has been down when I have played. I want to come out and be able to produce and help my team win and I want to have everybody fired up."

He already has done just that.

paul.schwartz@nypost.com

Great reading!

Rob - And your Browns are where in the play-offs this weekend???

I predict a narrow win by 7 points for the Superbowl Champs against the Eagles.

Go Giants!!!

l_757f1044d888408fb282673fef355e2f.jpg

They only beat us last time because of Westbrook, shutting him down is key to winning this game, or at least containing him as best we can. Him coming in beat up will help us and indeed last week he only had 20 carries for 38 yards and 2 receptions for 12 yards.

Minnesota shut him down but then one very well blocked screen play and he was gone for 71 yards and the TD, 1 play on the drive and it iced the game which shows just how dangerous he is and a threat to break it to the house at any point in the game.

Slow down westbrook, contain him and establish Jacobs are the keys to us winning this game, just pound him time after time to wear them down, give Jacobs 20 carries first half if necessary and then unleash wind and fire!

Troy Aikman was not a Marino-esque numbers guy during his career, never exceeding 3,500 passing yards or a 100 passer rating, and only once throwing for more than 20 touchdowns.

The reason he is in the Hall of Fame is this: three Super Bowl rings. That is why the former Cowboys quarterback and current Fox analyst feels a special kinship with Eli Manning.

"I've always thought that I probably had a much better appreciation for Eli than most people because I get it; I understand what he's about, what his role is within that team," Aikman said Wednesday.

"He's never going to have great numbers as long as they continue to do the things they do ... I'm really proud of the fact Eli made the Pro Bowl this year, because what it showed me was there is a value people place on winning."

If Manning wins his next three games, he will join an elite club: starting quarterbacks who have won consecutive Super Bowls.

The first six - Bart Starr, Bob Griese, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana, Aikman and John Elway - are in the Hall of Fame, and the most recent, Tom Brady, will be.

What would it mean to Manning's legacy if he could pull it off?

"How I am viewed over the context of my career is based on one thing: being able to win three world championships," said Aikman, who will work Sunday's divisional playoff game against the Eagles and the NFC Championship Game Jan. 18.

"It elevates you to another level. I would think that's important to him."

Aikman said he always has thought highly of Manning, but three months ago, he told WFAN he would prefer to have the Cowboys' Tony Romo. Not anymore.

"I would have to say I'd take Eli right now," he said. "I still think that Tony has amazing playmaking ability. He has some abilities that are rare in this league at that position and he can create.

"But when you evaluate the body of work and when you really evaluate 'what does it take to win?' when you look at Eli, he has a body of work that shows he has what it takes."

Aikman has been a lightning rod for years, with many Giants fans convinced he is biased in favor of the Cowboys and many fans in Dallas convinced of the opposite.

(He and Boomer Esiason had a public spat in October after Esiason accused him on the radio of pro-Dallas bias during a Cowboys-Cardinals game.)

In fact, Aikman consistently manages to play it straight, whether re-evaluating the Romo-Eli debate or telling it like it is about his former team, which flopped spectacularly in its finale against the Eagles. For example:

"Do I believe the makeup of the New York Giants, whether it's last year or this year, is better than the makeup of the [current] Cowboys team? I would say absolutely," he said.

"The things I believe are important to winning, the Giants possess and the Cowboys don't. It's why last year the Giants won the Super Bowl and this year the Cowboys didn't make the playoffs."

Of course, if the Giants lose Sunday, "it would be a failed season," Aikman said.

He does not buy the popular comparison of this season's Eagles with last year's Giants. "I don't see it," he said, citing the Eagles' stronger play down the stretch and the fact that they are widely perceived as having a chance to make a deep playoff run.

Aikman was there when the Cowboys lost to the Giants in the divisional round last January, and knows some would compare these Giants to those Cowboys if the Eagles win. But don't the Giants deserve some slack for having won it all last year?

"I know the Giants will be the first to tell you," Aikman said, "that that's yesterday's news."

link

For a Cowboy he is actually quite a balanced guy and im beginning to tolerate him more in the commentary booth. i think its something to do with him covering a load of our games last year and ALL the post season games. Well he will be doing today's and the NFC Championship game so lets hope for similar results and that he is a lucky charm!

I have to admit, I think the Buck/Aikman combination is the worst commentary team in sports, I've often muted their games. EVEYRTHING that happens during the game, Aikman relates back to him and the Cowboys, he's just self-obsessed, while Buck is so far up Aikmans arse it's unbelievable. Can't stand him at all.

Â