Giants News

kkr

Have a search on myp2p.eu in the forums. I think there is some application that you can use but im not sure as i haven't used it before.

Cheers mate. :thumb:

Eli league's most valuable

Eli Manning shouldn't need these last four regular-season games to be a frontrunner for the NFL Most Valuable Player award. But if the 11-1 Giants run the table, engrave the trophy. Just give it to Eli already.

All that talk about how Manning is merely a caretaker of the Giants' offense is about to evaporate again. Now that Plaxico Burress is gone from the Super Bowl champs, joining Michael Strahan, Osi Umenyiora and Jeremy Shockey, anyone still questioning which Giant is the real rock of the NFL's best team shouldn't need to see how Manning does the rest of the way. He already gave an answer last Sunday against the Redskins.

Not much more than 24 hours after the Giants woke up to the head-spinning news that Burress had accidentally shot himself early Saturday morning and that Antonio Pierce could be in legal trouble for his involvement in the situation, any anxiety about how the Giants might react dissipated when Manning threw a 40-yard touchdown pass to Amani Toomer on the team's very first possession.

The Giants won comfortably. Facing eight- and nine-man defensive fronts that were stacked up to stop the Giants' league-leading rushing attack and shift the pressure to him, Manning had 305 passing yards, his best game of the season.

The Giants' offense expects to get the same treatment Sunday when Philadelphia brings its kaleidoscope of blitzes to town. The Giants have 15 wins in their last 16 games behind Manning. Yet they still expect another opponent to dare him to beat them with his arm.

When asked if there's an NFL offense alive that can run the ball consistently well against the nine-man fronts the Giants have faced lately, running back Derrick Ward shrugged and said, "Not unless we have nine guys blocking them."

So what does Manning have to do differently now that his best wideout, Burress, is gone?

"I know it sounds boring -- but nothing," offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said.

It's not a boring answer. But it is telling. The NFL season is such a long and winding road that it's easy to forget that Manning's play and not the Giants' three-headed running attack was the talk of football earlier in the year.

Remember how bold, almost blasphemous it sounded when people said Eli, not Peyton, was the best quarterback in the family? Remember when people said Eli, not Hall of Fame-bound Brett Favre of the Jets, is the best quarterback in town?

Even if you broaden the argument of whom you'd rather have in a big spot and include the other quarterbacks challenging Manning for league MVP, Eli still is the answer.

It's not Favre, who throws more interceptions, nor the Cowboys' Tony Romo, who still has to win a playoff game for the first time. Any playoff game.

Arizona's Kurt Warner? Like Drew Brees, Warner has terrific stats. But Manning and the Giants trounced Warner head-to-head this year and Brees' Saints aren't even a lock to finish above .500. If Indianapolis stays hot and wins out, Peyton Manning might have the next-best case for MVP. But Eli is the best choice.

There have been a lot of I-told-you-so's -- to the point of tedium by now -- about how Eli has transcended the early-career slams that he didn't cast off enough sparks to be the true leader of an NFL team.

Like a lot of snap judgments, those assessments were wrong. He did have some hot-and-cold stretches. But he hasn't for a very, very long time.

Manning and Burress combined for more touchdowns than any other quarterback-receiver passing tandem in the league the past few seasons. But this year it hasn't seemed to matter to Manning whom he throws to. When he has needed to make passing plays, convert long third downs, grind out a time-consuming fourth-quarter drive, he's proven he can. And when the Giants are steamrolling teams by running the ball, he's happy to hand off and win.

Continuing to rise over the tumult of losing Burress and the lingering tension about Pierce's unresolved future -- Pierce looked tighter than a spooked kitten when he spoke to the media yesterday -- could at last bring more attention to Manning. Especially if he has to keep throwing more to beat more eight- and nine-man defensive fronts.

That finally could swing the national spotlight toward what's quietly been true all season: The best team in the NFL's best candidate for league MVP is Manning. (The offensive line, good as it is? Please ... )

The only thing these last four regular-season games should decide is whether Manning wins by a landslide.

NewsDay

Thought this was a good read. Especially like the end line.

"The only thing these last four regular-season games should decide is whether Manning wins by a landslide."

Yeah makes a lot of sense. I was thinking the same thing in so much that if the last four teams stick 8 or 9 in the box all the time then Eli is capable of having a few big games which would then probably see him as a firm candidate for MVP.

If we win out then i cant see how it can go anywhere else, but first things first, week by week and we need to handle the Eagles properly this weekend, do that and we get the East crown and a first round bye.

The wind was a joke and we got away from the run for some reason. Poorly played, poorly called, looked like a team who had been busy answering questions about some word removed who had shot himself rather than preparing for a divisional game to clinch the title and a playoff bye!

I hope he gets 15 years and never plays football again, his distraction has already caused this one loss and if the season tanks because of him i will be so **** pissed off!

On a positive note, GO STEELERS!

Them winning has crowned us NFC East Champions and guaranteed a first round bye! Hardly the most glorious of scenarios to achieve it in but then again seeing Romo and Dallas fail doesnt get much better!

This loss will hopefully be a wakeup call and remind us that we need to focus, hopefully the media start to doubt us again because then we will most likely go into Dallas and win well! Going to Irving Texas next week though as division champs will be great, no pressure and with a chance to put a serious dent in one of our main rivals playoffs hopes, something we should revel in, bring it on!

I really, desperately want to beat Dallas, I don't want them in post-season. Romo is generally quite crappy in the 2nd half of a season, so we may be able to get a few takeaways.

It's nice to be division champs again though!

Expect to see the backs used more in the passing game, especially Ward who could have a good game. I hope the cowboys do play 8+ in the box because i think Eli will shred them then. The only reason he didn't do that last week also was because of the wind and our receivers ability to catch the ball! I think they make up for that this week though and play well with it being a game decided in the 4th and winner being by only 3 or 4 points.

Having said that Dallas are a desperate team and desperate teams do well this kind of year so we will have to match their intensity levels otherwise it could be a long day.

Yeah we should be able to get them out of stacking the box with screens and play action but even if we don't next Sunday is the big one as that will be against Carolina to decide the #1 seeding.

Adam Schefter

Giants reach deal with CB Webster

Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Corey Webster, New York Giants

The Yankees have been throwing around millions, and the New York Giants are doing the same.

Hours before the Giants took the field to play the Cowboys in a colossal NFC East matchup, New York reached an agreement with free-agent-to-be cornerback Corey Webster on a five-year, $43.5 million deal that includes $20 million guaranteed.

Webster was one of the Giants’ postseason heroes during last season’s Super Bowl run, and he would have commanded millions on the open market this offseason. But the Giants took him off the open market Sunday, locking him down the way Webster normally does with receivers.

“Corey has been a outstanding person and player in his short career for the Giants,” said general manager Jerry Reese. “He really came into his own the latter part of last year and that has carried over into the 2008 season, where he has shown that he is one of the top corners in the league.

“We are very happy to get this deal done.”

link

Awesome news! That is a huge deal also! Jacobs next please!

For those of you interested in salary-cap musings and implications, or for those who like to see how good it is to be a top NFL cornerback, here's a look at the details of Corey Webster's new five-year, $43.5-million contract:

Signing Bonus: $5 million

Base Salaries

2009: $1 million (guaranteed if on roster 2/25/09)

2010: $2.75 million ($2 million guaranteed if on roster 2/25/10)

2011: $7.25 million

2012: $7 million

2013: $7.5 million

Note: The Giants have the option to convert any of his yearly base salaries to a signing bonus. That benefits the player and the team because the money would then be guaranteed and it would allow the Giants to lower his cap number and create room for other signings at any point by spreading the hit over the rest of the contract.

Roster Bonuses

2009: $8 million (guaranteed)

2010: $4 million (guaranteed)

Note: Like the salary guarantees, these are skill/injury guarantees, meaning the Giants must pay them if they cut him or he gets hurt. Non-football injuries (no jokes, please) will release the Giants from any obligations. So combine the $12 million in guaranteed roster bonuses with the $3 million in guaranteed base salaries and the $5 million of his signing bonus and you get the $20 million in guarantees that was previously reported.

Workout Bonuses

$250k each in '10, '11, '12 and '13

MG

link

Note: The Giants have the option to convert any of his yearly base salaries to a signing bonus. That benefits the player and the team because the money would then be guaranteed and it would allow the Giants to lower his cap number and create room for other signings at any point by spreading the hit over the rest of the contract.

What's the point of a salary cap if you can just get around it like this?

Manipulating the cap is what all teams do, essentially the Giants have the option (should Webster stay a smart individual, i.e. not go shooting himself, and be playing well) to change the salary into a bonus so that his money is guaranteed and giving room for structuring other players contracts more favourably.

Im not 100% certain on how the cap works but my understanding is that bonus contributes towards the cap number a player has on his team, not as much as a base salary would though. Its not like teams can just guarantee everyone their money and build a team of allstars otherwise every team in a big market would be doing that.

If Derrick Ward gets at least 51 yards against the Vikings next week, the Giants will have 2 - YES TWO! - 1,000 yard running backs for the season! I believe the only other time this has happened was the perfect Dolphins season with Czonka/Morris

Ward for the start! He should get it, but it will be hard against what is a notoriously tough run D. They said that about the Ravens though and then look what we did to them!

Ward was, dare i say it, very Tiki Barber like last night!

Â