Giants News

kkr

Hall's agent: New York Giants not interested

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Friday November 07, 2008, 1:52 PM

Just got an e-mail reply from free-agent CB DeAngelo Hall's agent, Alvin Keels. I had asked Keels if the Giants were talking to him about Hall.

"They aren't interested," replied Keels, who also represents former Giants S Gibril Wilson.

I thought that would be the case. Nice to see an agent who's not using them as leverage against other teams.

As for the Giants' current secondary, S James Butler (knee) will not play after trying to practice yesterday and then sitting out today. That means rookie S Kenny Phillips will make his first start. Phillips will play on the weak side of the offense while Johnson will shift over to the strong side and will be responsible for making the calls in the secondary.

"I have to step my game up as far as being vocal, communicating and making sure everybody's on the same page," Johnson said.

As for Phillips, he's not doing cartwheels. Rather, he's taking a calm, modest approach and said he doesn't think about his first start being a monumental moment. He's been in enough big games at Miami and has played in the dime package with the Giants, so he's just looking at it like he'll be taking more snaps.

Nobody seems to agree with DE Justin Tuck's being fined $7,500 for driving Cowboys QB Brooks Bollinger into the ground.

"The explanation we received was way too general," coach Tom Coughlin said. "It reminded me of the Shaun Rogers play that, not only wasn't he fined, he wasn't fouled. We're going to support Justin's appeal. We don't think (the fine) is right. He did nothing you wouldn't instruct a player to do."

MG

link

The Washington Redskins have reached a one-year contract agreement with free-agent cornerback DeAngelo Hall.

link

Great, going to a divisional rival! I hope we drove up the price for him.

I'm not shocked by that move, if you have a big name, chances are you'll be playing for Dallas or Washington.

Butler not playing is not good, at the end of last seasons regular season, I was praying we released him or something, I thought he was useless, but during post-season and throughout this year so far he's proved me wrong, I like both KP and Johnson though, so I'm sure they'll do the job.

On another note, I think Tom Coughlin has been outstanding this season in everything he's done. He dealt with Plaxico in the right way for not turning up to work for by suspending him, and the rest of the team got behind him for that, now he's sticking up for his players when he needs to, Tuck in this case. At the end of the '06 season I'd have happily seen him go, but I'm so glad to have him now!

I'm not shocked by that move, if you have a big name, chances are you'll be playing for Dallas or Washington.

Butler not playing is not good, at the end of last seasons regular season, I was praying we released him or something, I thought he was useless, but during post-season and throughout this year so far he's proved me wrong, I like both KP and Johnson though, so I'm sure they'll do the job.

On another note, I think Tom Coughlin has been outstanding this season in everything he's done. He dealt with Plaxico in the right way for not turning up to work for by suspending him, and the rest of the team got behind him for that, now he's sticking up for his players when he needs to, Tuck in this case. At the end of the '06 season I'd have happily seen him go, but I'm so glad to have him now!

Agree. I was abit miffed about the Plax suspension, but having seen his pathetic attitude since he got paid im surprised we actually gave him the deal for one and secondly that Coughlin didnt punish him harder.

Butler has been great this year which im not surprised with as the coaching staff talk him up, saying he makes plays all over the field which is very much the case in the past two games with a couple of picks and that hit on Washington that allowed Kehl to get his first pick. Now if he could just hold the ball when he does pick it off he might take one back for 6!

KP i like a lot, he looks set to continue the trend of elite Miami safeties who can destroy receivers with huge hits so he could be another play-maker in the making also.

Yeah it has been withdrawn after NFL commissioner Roger Goodell saw the hit and deemed the fine unnecessary.

It's about time, the NFL is no fun at the moment, you can play hard, celebrate, anything.

I just thought, don't we usually wear our red alternates when we host Dallas? I guess we won't be wearing them this season, shame, I like them! :(

LITTLE FALLS, N.J. - Giants starting right tackle Kareem McKenzie was arrested Thursday night for driving while intoxciated in Little Falls, N.J.

The Giants referred questions on the arrest to their public relations staff but said McKenzie would play in Sunday's game at Giants Stadium against the Ravens.

Lt. Salvatore Calafiore of the Little Falls police department said that McKenzie was pulled over at 9:30 p.m. on Thursday after he cut through a gas station at Route 23 and Main St. Police said McKenzie failed a breath test and was arrested. He was released later Thursday night. McKenzie is due in court to answer the charges on Tuesday.

Giants coach Tom Coughlin, in an interview on WFAN said: "I had an opportunity to sit with Kareem this morning. There's never been a better citizen, not an individual who has more remorse about what he did. He's not blaming anybody but himself and feels very badly about this. He's been a guy that's been a first-class guy here in this organization. He made a mistake, everyone realizes that. The legal process will run its course, the league will take their action. I just don't think this individual -- it's a mistake, we're disappointed, he's disappointed, but he's going to be hardest on himself."

Newsday

Kareem, what were you thinking man!

“We are aware of the situation with Kareem,” coach Tom Coughlin said. “I spoke to him this morning. He is extremely remorseful. The legal process will take its course, and the league will handle this matter. Nobody will be harder on Kareem than Kareem himself. He is very conscientious and has been a first-class citizen since he arrived here with our organization.”

The Giants are playing this one the right way. Under the CBA, the league and not the teams have the right to impose discipline for violations of the substance-abuse policy, which includes alcohol and drug offenses. (That said, there’s language in Paragraph 11 of the Standard Player Contract that permits a player to be cut if he ”has engaged in personal conduct reasonably judged by Club to adversely affect or reflect on Club.” Lesser forms of discipline, however, apparently aren’t allowed.) After the legal process is resolved (and if McKenzie is convicted of or pleads guilty to the charges), he’ll be subject to a fine or a suspension from the league office.

Said McKenzie: “I spoke with Coach Coughlin and [G.M.] Jerry Reese this morning and expressed my remorse for last night’s situation. I am prepared to deal with the consequences of that situation from both a legal standpoint and as a player in the National Football League.”

ProFootballTalk

It seems Kareem and Coach Coughlin are handling this in the righy way. Hopefully it doesn't affect him on the field!

There goes the commentators talking about how long the line have played together!

I imagine the league will suspend him a game or two when they inevitably investigate the incident but perhaps that might not occur until all legal proceedings have been carried out and im not sure how long that will take, hopefully until the offseason!

Â