Giants News

kkr

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - The Giants today re-signed one player, said goodbye to three others and welcomed a new member of their coaching staff.

David Carr will return in 2009 as Eli Manning’s backup quarterback. Carr, who joined the Giants last year, played in three games in 2008.

The Giants terminated the contracts of three veteran players who ended the season on injured reserve– running back Reuben Droughns, cornerback Sam Madison and safety Sammy Knight.

Tom Coughlin filled the final vacancy on his coaching staff by hiring Al Holcomb as the Giants’ new defensive quality control coach. Holcomb comes to the team from Lafayette College. He replaces Andre Curtis, who joined Steve Spagnuolo’s staff with the St. Louis Rams.

Carr, who is entering his eighth NFL season, threw only 12 passes last year in reserve of Manning. He completed nine for 115 yards and two touchdowns. Carr saw his most extensive action in the regular season finale in Minnesota, where he played the entire second half and hit eight of 11 passes for 110 yards and a score.

Despite his limited playing time, Carr was an important contributor to the NFC East champions as the scout team quarterback in practice. Carr was equally adept at impersonating drop-back quarterbacks such as Kurt Warner and those more nimble on their feet, like Donovan McNabb.

“We are excited about having David Carr back,” Coach Tom Coughlin said. “He did a very good job of preparing our defensive team this past year. David helped us prepare for the opponent’s offensive scheme, whether it included a quarterback who was mobile or a drop- back game. The coaches were very pleased with what he did and I just hope it gets better.”

Carr takes great pride in helping prepare the defense by giving an accurate portrayal of the opposing quarterback.

“When the season starts Eli gets all the reps, so that is really the only time I get to work on some things in a live situation,” Carr said. “At the same time I am trying to give them looks, I am trying to work on things in my game that I can improve. I am talking to the defense constantly about what they are doing and trying to help them any way I can from a quarterback’s perspective and they return the favor and do the same thing to me. It was a real good situation. Coach Spagnuolo and I had a really good relationship and Coach Coughlin and everybody, we just got along great. It was all positive for me last year and it was something that they made it comfortable for me to come back.”

Manning, who threw the game-winning touchdown in yesterday’s Pro Bowl, is secure as the team’s No. 1 quarterback, but he also benefits from having Carr as a teammate.

“I think that going beyond a one-year opportunity allows the relationship between Eli and Dave to continue to grow,” Coughlin said. “A lot of really good positive things come out of the meeting room with regard to two veteran quarterbacks and (position coach) Chris Palmer and the thinking and the way in which they study and understand the next opponent. Eli’s whole idea is to stay at least one day ahead of the coaches and what I like is when the quarterbacks themselves are in there looking at an opponent, talking about the opponent, talking about the opponent’s strength’s and weaknesses, thinking about what can and can’t work. So I like that kind of exchange between two veteran quarterbacks. I think it is also beneficial to David Carr’s career that he spend a minimum of another year with the New York Giants.”

Carr was the first overall selection of the 2002 NFL Draft, by the expansion Houston Texans. He played five years in Houston and one with the Carolina Panthers. His career totals include 2,218 passes, 1,325 completions (59.7 percent) for 14,141 yards, 64 touchdowns and 72 interceptions.

When Carr signed with the Giants last year, it was widely assumed he would stay for just one season before seeking a starting job with another franchise. Several teams still have unsettled quarterback situations, but Carr decided his best move was to stay put.

“Last year was just such a positive experience for me I wanted to try to do it again,” Carr said from his California home. “Just try and kind of get another one of those years under my belt just learning and continuing to better myself. Honestly, there are spots out there and starting positions and there could have been some things where it would have just been my Houston situation all over again and it wasn’t really something I was looking forward to, to tell you the truth.

“(Some of the starting possibilities) it is just difficult to win. I’m not saying that I wouldn’t love the challenge of doing that, but it just wasn’t right for me, the spots that were available. I felt comfortable in New York, my wife likes it out there, and it was kind of an easy deal for me.”

Carr cited several reasons why he was eager to return to the Giants.

“The offensive scheme is very quarterback-friendly,” he said. “I still think the offensive line is the best in the game and then having the running game like we have and the defense. I think that our defense can only get better from where we were last year. I think that it is going to be another situation where we are competing for a division title and then hopefully going further in the playoffs than we did this year and that is something that I want to be a part of for at least one more year. Maybe next year there would be some better situations out there for me and we will look at that when that comes up, but I am happy that the Giants and I could come to an agreement where I am coming back for one more.”

In Droughns, Madison and Knight, the Giants released three players with a combined 33 years of NFL experience.

Droughns joined the Giants on March 9, 2007 in a trade with Cleveland for Tim Carter. He led the Super Bowl XLII champion Giants with six rushing touchdowns. He ran for 275 yards that season. Last year, Droughns did not have a rushing attempt, but he finished fourth on the team with 11 special teams tackles. He suffered a neck injury at Dallas on Dec. 14 and was placed on injured reserve two days later.

Madison played three seasons for the Giants after spending the first nine years of his career with the Miami Dolphins. In 2008, he played in seven games as a reserve defensive back and on special teams before breaking his ankle on Dec. 28 at Minnesota. Madison’s interception of a McNabb pass in Philadelphia on Nov. 9 was the 38th of his career.

Knight joined the Giants last March 4 after stints with New Orleans, Miami, Kansas City and Jacksonville. He played in nine games and finished the year with 13 tackles (eight solo). When Knight was inactive at Cleveland on Oct. 13, it ended his streak of 160 consecutive games played. He has 42 career interceptions. Knight was placed on injured reserve with a hip injury on Nov. 29.

Holcomb, the newest member of the coaching staff, spent the previous three seasons as the defensive line coach at Lafayette. The Leopards’ defensive coordinator, John Loose, worked with new Giants coordinator Bill Sheridan from 1992-97 and enthusiastically recommended Holcomb.

“Al Holcomb is a veteran coach who has been at the collegiate level his entire career,” Coughlin said. “As a coordinator he has coached all three position groups (line, linebacker and secondary). John Loose called Bill Sheridan and said this is an extremely impressive football coach who is deserving of an opportunity like this if someone would give him a chance to interview - so we did. I was impressed with Al and with his whole thought process in terms of how he got in to coaching. He did not play football at West Virginia but became a G.A. at Temple right out of college. He has a master’s degree and I think he will make a solid addition to our staff.”

Holcomb previously coached at Kutztown University, Bloomsburg and Colby. In the summer of 2007, he participated in the NFL’s minority coaching internship with the Jets.

“I am humbled and it is a great honor and a privilege to be a part of a great organization like the New York Giants,” Holcomb said. “They have such a storied tradition and franchise and I am certainly looking forward to contributing and being a part of a great season. Coaching in the NFL was a goal of mine. This has been a lifelong dream of mine, to be honest with you.”

link

February 9, 2009

Giants re-sign Carr; cut Madison, Knight, Droughns

4:30 p.m.: UPDATED with quotes from the Giants

David Carr will be back for another season with the Giants.

Sam Madison, Reuben Droughns and Sammy Knight will not.

Carr, who spent last season as the backup quarterback to Eli Manning, re-signed with the Giants “very recently,” according to his agent, Mike Sullivan. The one-year deal will pay the 29-year-old a $1 million salary next season.

Meanwhile, according to multiple NFL sources, the Giants freed up more than $4.25 million in salary cap space by cutting Madison (who was due a $1.77 million salary in 2009), Droughns ($1.25 million) and Knight ($1.25 million). All three players had ended the 2008 season on injured reserve.

All four moves were confirmed by the Giants a little while ago.

The Carr move is a bit of surprise, only because it was expected he’d search the free agent market to see if he had a better opportunity at a starting job. The former No. 1 overall pick (2002) hasn’t been a regular starter since leaving the Houston Texans after the 2006 season. He spent one unproductive season with the Carolina Panthers before joining the Giants last March.

Carr only played twice for the Giants last season. He mopped up a 44-6 win over Seattle on Oct. 5 (completing his only pass for five yards) and he played the second half of the Giants’ meaningless season finale in Minnesota (8 for 11, 110 yards, one touchdown).

“I think that going beyond a one-year opportunity allows the relationship between Eli and Dave to continue to grow,” Tom Coughlin said in a statement released by the Giants. “A lot of really good positive things come out of the meeting room with regard to two veteran quarterbacks and (quarterbacks coach) Chris Palmer and the thinking and the way in which they study and understand the next opponent. Eli’s whole idea is to stay at least one day ahead of the coaches and what I like is when the quarterbacks themselves are in there looking at an opponent, talking about the opponent, talking about the opponent’s strength’s and weaknesses, thinking about what can and can’t work. So I like that kind of exchange between two veteran quarterbacks.

“I think it is also beneficial to David Carr’s career that he spend a minimum of another year with the New York Giants.”

“Last year was just such a positive experience for me I wanted to try to do it again,” Carr added. “Just try and kind of get another one of those years under my belt just learning and continuing to better myself.

“Honestly, there are spots out there and starting positions and there could have been some things where it would have just been my Houston situation all over again and it wasn’t really something I was looking forward to, to tell you the truth. (Some of the starting possibilities) it is just difficult to win. I’m not saying that I wouldn’t love the challenge of doing that, but it just wasn’t right for me, the spots that were available.”

Meanwhile, Coughlin issued no comment on the three veteran cuts, which were not unexpected. Droughns and Madison clearly knew they headed in this direction, considering they were both forced to take pay cuts to stay with the team in 2008. And none of them were very productive last season anyway.

Madison, 34, got off to a slow start last summer while recovering from offseason hernia surgery and he lost his starting job to Corey Webster and the nickel back job to Kevin Dockery. Soon, rookie Terrell Thomas was jetting past him on the depth chart and the veteran played in only seven games before breaking his ankle in the regular season finale.

The 30-year-old Droughns, meanwhile, suited up for 12 games but played only on special teams. Already behind Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward and Ahmad Bradshaw on the depth chart, he was passed this season by 23-year-old Danny Ware. The 33-year-old Knight played in nine games last season before landing on injured reserve with a hip injury and lost his playing time to rookie Kenny Phillips.

The Giants also made one move with their coaching staff, adding Al Holcomb as their defensive quality control coach. He spent the last three seasons as the defensive line coach at Lafayette, and he replaces Andre Curtis who joined former Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo in St. Louis.

link

All great moves, especially getting Carr back in for ONLY $1m!

Crunching Numbers: How the Roster Moves Help the Salary Cap

I spent quite a bit of time over the past few weeks researching the various player salaries, looking up everything from signing bonuses, roster bonuses, incentives and of course base salaries. I’m not saying I got it all, but compared to past efforts where I gave subscribers a single page spreadsheet, I was able to really break down what each player’s cap values for 2009 and gain a better understanding of how keeping or cutting a player would help/hurt the Giants cap.

So with that said, here’s a breakdown of what the Giants probably saved with the roster moves made today. (Note: This is in no way official – this is merely my estimate based on my research of the numbers and my understanding of the salary cap and how it works.)

CB SAM MADISON: The veteran corner was in the final year of his contract and was due a base salary of $1.770M. his prorated signing bonus was $500K, so the Giants saved $1.270M and will be charged $500K in dead money against their 2009 cap.

Effect on the Roster:Madison’s departure leaves New York with starters Corey Webster and Aaron Ross, second-year man Terrell Thomas, and roster hopefuls Rashad Barksdale and Travonti Johnson. Figure Kevin Dockery, a RFA, should be tendered a one-year deal while UFA R.W. McQuarters is not likely to get a new contract. So cornerback is looking like a need once again.

RB REUBEN DROUGHNS:Droughns, also in the final year of his contract, was due $1.250M in base salary and had a prorated signing bonus of $500K as part of the restructured deal he signed when Cleveland traded him to the Giants in exchange for Tim Carter.

So the base minus the pro rated bonus is $750K, But Droughns also had at least one earned incentive in 2008 in which he was paid for every game he was dressed to play. By my calculations that comes to about $375K. Finally, Droughns was due a $375K roster bonus I believe on February 27 (the start of free agency or the new league calendar year). So the earned bonus from being active in 2008 is cancelled out by the savings on the roster bonus, so the Giants end up saving $750K on Droughns, getting charged $500K in dead money against the 2009 cap.

Effect on the Roster:Droughns’ departure means the Giants only have three running backs under contract: Dwayne Wright, Ahmad Bradshaw and FB Madison Hedgecock. That’s expected to change as Danny Ware is an exclusive rights free agent and I’m sure Brandon Jacobs will re-sign with the club, though I can’t be as sure that something will get done with Derrick Ward. But then again, I didn’t think the Giants would get David Carr back, so anything can happen.

Assuming the Giants get Jacobs/Ward and Ware back on board, my guess is they might look to take a young developmental prospect to compete with Wright. If they get both Jacobs and Ward back, then this position probably doesn’t need to be addressed.

S SAMMY KNIGHT: Knight had two years remaining on his contract. This year he was due $1.250M in base salary plus a $250K roster bonus. The remaining prorated bonus, which accelerates into the 2009 cap (because he was cut before June 1), is $833,333. Subtract the roster bonus from that amount and you get $583,333 in dead cap money against the 2009 cap. That means the Giants save approximately $666,667 on the Knight transaction.

Effect on the Roster:Knight’s departure and the unlikely return of UFA James Butler leaves New York with the likely new starting duo of Kenny Phillips and Michael Johnson, and veteran Steve Cargile. So yes, safety is a need as of this writing based on the numbers.

SUMMARY: The Giants cleared $2,686,667 from their 2009 cap situation, and they have only $1.5M in dead cap money counting against the cap so far (in calculating the savings, I subtracted the base salaries from the remaining bonuses that get charged as dead money). Not a bad place to be in financially considering they have guys like Brandon Jacobs they need to re-sign and guys like Eli Manning, who’s due a hefty pay raise.

Oh in case you’re wondering, I have a preliminary number on how much cap room they have left, but I need to crosscheck a few things before I say anything. I’ve read the reports saying it’s anywhere from $10M to $12M, but there was also a media report saying the Giants were due a $7M cap credit which could boost that total to as much as $22M if those numbers are accurate. I need to research the cap credit thing to better understand it and how it affects the current numbers.

I am guessing that none of the transactions was designated post-June 1 roster move, a designation that comes in handy if a team cuts a player with multiple years left on his contract and a sizeable signing bonus. Under the cap rules, when this happens before June 1, the team gets hit for 100% of the remaining signing bonus in the current cap year before June 1 if the move is not designated as a post-June 1 transaction.

If the player is cut after June 1 or is designated a post June 1 transaction (I believe that each team gets a maximum of two per year under the current collective bargaining agreement), what happens is the entire remaining signing bonus sits on the team’s books until June 1; after that, the team only gets charged the prorated part against the current year and the balance is dumped into the next year’s cap.

Got it?

link

Giants franchise RB Jacobs

By Michael Eisen, Giants.com

Take this story to go! - RSS | Podcast | Mobile

FEBRUARY 13, 2008

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - The Giants today designated Brandon Jacobs as their franchise player, virtually ensuring that the free agent running back will be with the team in 2009.

The NFL’s collective bargaining agreement permits each team to designate one of its free agents (restricted or unrestricted) as a franchise player each season. Under the terms of the CBA, that player receives a one-year tender for the average of the five largest salaries at his position the previous season. In 2008, the NFL’s five highest-paid running backs earned an average of $6.6 million.

The designation does not preclude the Giants or any other team from negotiating a multi-year contract when the free agency period begins on February 27th.

Indeed, the Giants hope to reach such an agreement with Jacobs, their two-time 1,000-yard rusher and the catalyst behind their NFL-leading rushing attack. Should another team offer Jacobs a contract, the Giants have a right to match that contract or would receive two first-round draft choices as compensation from that team.

The two–week period for designating franchise players ends Thursday and the Giants did not want it to expire without making it far more difficult for another team to sign Jacobs.

“With the deadline approaching it was the right business thing to do at this point, although we are hopeful to get a longer term deal hammered out in the near future,” general manager Jerry Reese said. “I did speak to Brandon and we had a very good conversation today.”

“I never felt Brandon would be anything but a New York Giant,” Coach Tom Coughlin said. “There isn’t any question that when you talk about being a physical football team, he gives you that physical edge as a runner, a pass protector or catching the ball coming out of the backfield. He’s a valuable, valuable part of our team and of the philosophy and the concept by which we play. It’s important for our team going forward that he’s a Giant.”

Jacobs believes the Giants’ decision to designate him a franchise player will help the two sides come to an agreement on a multi-year contract.

“They don’t want to let me go and it just buys more time to get a deal done,” Jacobs said. “A deal is going to be done and I am confident in that fact that a deal is going to be done. They just didn’t want to let me hit the market to see what else is out there. They want me in and it is fine with me, because I would rather be here. It is another reason why I don’t really have a problem with it. Now if I didn’t want to be here I would be going off the deep end now, but that is not the fact because I want to be here. My family likes it here. This is where I started and this is kind of where I want to finish. It is really just to franchise me to try to get a deal done.

“I think both parties will probably come to an agreement here soon on a long- term deal. A lot of guys would be going off the deep end now, which I understand why guys do it and why nobody wants to be franchised. That only happens when guys don’t want to play the rest of their career with that team and they want to see what else is out there. I am in a situation where I want to be here. I want to play here. That doesn’t really bother me.”

In response to another question about a long-term deal, Jacobs said, “I am confident that something is going to get done. I do know that.”

Jacobs said he felt good after this afternoon’s conversation with Reese.

“I spoke to Jerry, and that is the reason I am being franchised – buying more time to get a deal done,” Jacobs said.

This is just the third time – and the first instance in 13 years – the Giants have designated a franchise player. They used the tag on tackle Jumbo Elliott in 1993 and running back Rodney Hampton in 1996.

“That (being the Giants’ first franchise player in more than a decade) is telling me that they really want me here,” Jacobs said. “That is why I know for a fact that they are going to buy time to get a long term deal done. If they didn’t want me here they would say, ‘Let him hit the market and see what he gets out there and then offer him toward the end of the whole thing.’ They were pretty good about it, we were pretty good about it, and I feel good about the situation that I will be here at least for one more year if nothing gets done, but I am very confident that something is going to be done soon.”

The 6-4, 264-pound Jacobs recently completed his fourth and most productive season with the Giants. He rushed for a career and team-high 1,089 yards – the 11th-highest figure in the NFL - despite missing three games with a knee injury. In 2007, Jacobs ran for 1,009 yards in 11 games. In the recently-concluded season, the Giants led the NFL in rushing yards per game (157.4) and per carry (a franchise-record 5.0).

Jacobs has put together an impressive resume. He is just the fourth running back in Giants history to run for at least 1,000 yards in at least two consecutive seasons. The others were Joe Morris (1985-86), Rodney Hampton (1991-95) and Tiki Barber (2002-2006).

With 2,620 career rushing yards, Jacobs is already 10th on the Giants’ all-time list. He has rushed for at least 100 yards in a game nine times and the Giants won eight of those games.

Jacobs rushed for 15 touchdowns in 2008 and is just the second player in Giants history to run for at least 15 touchdowns in a season. Joe Morris ran for a team-record 21 scores in 1985. Jacobs’ 15 touchdowns tied for third in the NFL with the Jets’ Thomas Jones and Tennessee’s LenDale White.

Jacobs has 35 career rushing touchdowns, which ties him with Ottis Anderson for fifth on the franchise’s career list.

In 2008, Jacobs averaged 5.0 yards a carry, one of just four backs to rush for at least 500 yards and maintain such a high average. Another one of those backs was his teammate, Derrick Ward, who averaged 5.6 yards an attempt while rushing for 1,025 yards. Jacobs and Ward were the fourth pair of running back teammates to run for at least 1,000 yards in the same season.

Even with all that already accomplished, Jacobs believes his best is yet to come.

“No question,” Jacobs said. “I had Derrick last year and we were a team and we did it together. I have Ahmad (Bradshaw) and Danny (Ware) that are going to be back this year, I don’t know what the chances are with Derrick (who is also a free agent), but I just try to make the guys around me better. I am looking forward to a Super Bowl season.”

With Jacobs in the backfield, the Giants’ chances to realize that goal certainly improve.

link

It better be to get a long term deal sorted otherwise i will be less than happy.

Not posted in the NFL forum for a while.. happy that we've at least made sure Jacobs is here next season, but certainly want us to give him a long term deal before the season starts. Happy with David Carr signing and the cutting of Droughns and Knight.. not sure on Sam Madison, he was still a decent corner and Ross/Webster don't hide the fact that he's helped them in their time with the Giants. Would like to see him back as a coach at some point! Certainly think we need to draft or sign a CB, can't think who we've got off the top of my head.. Webster, Ross, Dockery, Thomas and? :?

Thing with Madison is he has broken his leg against the Vikings in the last game of the season and this may signal the end to his career as he was already slowing up before the injury.

He has also been in the tutor role for the past two seasons so i think anything he can pass on he probably will have so i hope we have cut him as a player and if he does retire then immediately get him back as a positional coach, although not CB's as Peter Giunta is doing a fine job there but i am sure Sam could help assist him.

After Webster, Ross, Dockery and Thomas we have RW McQuarters who is a UFA and then just practice squad players Travonti Johnson and Rashad Barksdale, so CB could be a need this season especially as i think Dockery might be a RFA or ERFA and possibly out of here.

I was quite surprised with the following stats also -

30. Kevin Dockery, New York Giants

Season Totals: 40 attempts, 5.53 YPA, 32.50 Forced INC%, 0 TDs, 1 INT

My two cents: Why is Aaron Ross starting over this guy? Not only did Dockery post impressive numbers, but Ross posted arguably the worst numbers in the league. Here they are side by side.

Dockery: 40 attempts, 5.53 YPA, 32.50 Forced INC%, 0 TDs, 1 INT

Ross: 81 attempts, 9.11 YPA, 19.75 Forced INC%, 4 TDs, 3 INTs

It’s not even necessary to break these numbers down, they speak for themselves. Dockery is a better CB than Aaron Ross, it’s that simple. Ross is young and could still develop into a quality CB, but it he shouldn’t be starting for anyone, especially the defending Super Bowl champions.

Top 50 QB's in 2008

Very interesting and perhaps corner might be a need this offseason, although we already know how good this guy has become so if K-Dock or Ross can elevate their game next year then we will be able to shut down teams receiving threat-

2. Corey Webster, New York Giants

Season Totals: 66 attempts, 3.92 YPA, 65.15 Forced INC%, 1 TD, 3 INTs

My two cents: Did Corey Webster seriously not make the Pro Bowl? I have come to terms with the Pro Bowl being absolutely meaningless, but that is just ridiculous. There wasn’t an NFC CB to even come close to the level on which Webster played. He led all CBs with a 3.92 YPA, and a 65.15 forced incompletion percentage. The only TD he allowed was to Terrell Owens in a week nine victory.

February 15, 2009

A look at the Giants' free agents

David Carr has been re-signed and Brandon Jacobs has been franchised, leaving the Giants with not a whole lot to do between now and Feb. 27, when the unrestricted free-agent signing period begins. The fates of most of their UFAs have already been sealed, meaning their attention will be focused on who they can add once the signing period begins.

But before we move on to that, here’s a look at what they have and haven’t done with their own free agents, with a little insight — via various NFL and team sources — on what the Giants are thinking, and what’s happening (or, in most cases, what’s not happening):

Locked in

RB Brandon Jacobs and QB David Carr — Jacobs was slapped with the franchise tag which guaranteed him a one-year, $6.621 million tender. He hasn’t signed it yet as the two sides will revist talks on a long-term deal. Carr signed a one-year, $2.1 million deal.

Locked out

WR Amani Toomer, K John Carney, and QB Anthony Wright — Toomer wasn’t in the Giants’ 2009 plans anyway, but he slammed the door on any potential return when he mouthed off during Super Bowl week about how underused he was. And in case you didn’t see it in Rich Cimini’s NFL column on Sunday, a source told him that the Giants “grew tired of” Toomer years ago. It’s kind of a sad ending to an impressive and long Giants career.

Carney, meanwhile, has been told he’s free to test free agency because the Giants don’t want to carry two kickers next year and plan to give the job back to Lawrence Tynes. And Wright was squeezed out when Carr signed, since Eli Manning, Carr and Andre’ Woodson will be the 1-2-3 QB team next year.

If the Price is Right

RB Derrick Ward, James Butler, OL Grey Ruegamer, and CB R.W. McQuarters — Ward was reportedly scheduled to meet with the Giants last week, but his agent said that neither he nor his client had any plans to be in the New York area. That doesn’t mean they didn’t speak by phone, but clearly the franchising of Jacobs is a blow to Ward, if he wanted to return. He made it clear he wants a starting job, which can’t happen now. He’s also, a source said, looking for upwards of $4 million per year. It’s hard to believe the Giants will give him that much, especially since the coaches love Ahmad Bradshaw. But, if Ward checks out the market and can’t find what he’s looking for, don’t rule out a return at a bargain price.

Butler, meanwhile, didn’t sound happy at the end of the season that the Giants had made absolutely no effort to reach out to him on a long-term deal. He played on his $1.417 million tender last year, and with Kenny Phillips ready for a starting role the Giants aren’t expected to go much higher. His return may depend on his asking price, too, and on whether he finds a market for himself in free agency.

As for Ruegamer and McQuarters, the two 32 year olds both have value — Ruegamer for line depth and McQuarters as a punt returner and a guy who can play both corner and safety in a pinch. Veteran depth is an expensive luxury in a salary cap world, though. Ruegamer seemingly has the better shot at coming back if only because the Giants have more depth at corner than on the line. But both may have to play at or near the NFL minimum.

One and Done

DE Renaldo Wynn and Jerome McDougle — The two defensive ends didn’t contribute much, and now Osi Umenyiora is presumably coming back to join what should be a three-man end rotation with Justin Tuck and Mathias Kiwanuka. Dave Tollefson (an exclusive rights free agent) figures to be the fourth. If there’s a fifth, it’ll come out of the draft.

Restricted Plans

CB Kevin Dockery — Considering Dockery spent time as the nickel back last year and now figures to be at least the fourth corner (probably behind Terrell Thomas) it’s extremely likely he’ll be tendered. It’s just not clear how high the Giants are willing to go. He originally signed as an undrafted free agent, which means that if the Giants give him the “low tender” (which this year is the not-so-low salary of $1.01 million) they would be due no compensation if they chose not to match whatever offer Dockery receives from another team. To get compensation they’d have to tender him at $1.545 million, which is this year’s “second-round tender” — and that’s a hefty price for a fourth corner. It’s possible, though. They surprised everyone by giving S James Butler the second-round tender last year — although Butler, at least, was penciled into the starting lineup.

(Update/correction: An earlier version of this blog listed TE Darcy Johnson in this category. However, he is actually an “Exclusive Rights Free Agent”, which means he can’t solicit offers from around the league and that the Giants are his only option in 2009, assuming they want him back. I thought he had three years of service, but forgot he spent most of his first NFL season on the practice squad. My apologies for the error).

The Salary cap

I have gotten many, many, many inquiries from you all about how much room the Giants will have under the $123 million salary cap. The truth is that an exact figure is impossible to pinpoint without knowing the details of every single contract and what the Giants’ plans are. A cap number is in a constantly fluid state, depending on bonuses, “likely to be earned” incentives, “unlikely to be earned incentives” and salary escalators — not all of which are often known. Also, there’s no way to know yet what plans the Giants have for restructuring contracts, which of their own UFAs they might sign before Feb. 27, or how high they’ll tender their RFAs. All of it factors in to the final number.

So I try to deal in ranges, and I’ve heard from NFL sources that the Giants have anywhere from $10-20 million in cap room. I realize that’s a huge range. Most people have put them in the $10-15 million range. However, that was before $6.621 million of that space went to Jacobs, and obviously before they tender their two RFAs. It was also before they saved about $4.25 million by cutting S Sammy Knight, CB Sam Madison, and RB Reuben Droughns.

Best guess, after the cuts and the Jacobs franchise tender, and after they tender their RFAs, they’ll probably be around $10-12 million. It’s enough to sign what they need. And if they choose to be big players in the market or trade for a high-priced receiver (or something) they have the ability to create more room. Remember, if they were to work out a long-term deal with Jacobs, his cap number for 2009 would almost certainly decrease. Same thing if they get around to working out a new deal for Eli Manning.

The bottom line is they are in decent enough cap shape, with the ability to find more room if necessary.

link

Ahmad Bradshaw surrendered to Virginia police on Sunday and will serve another 30-day stint for a probation violation.

While the P.R. isn't great, Bradshaw's infractions stem from an incident when he was a juvenile and he wasn't suspended last year for serving 30 days. He's again likely to avoid discipline. Bradshaw was originally given a 60-day sentence and allowed to serve it in two segments. He'll be out on March 17. Feb. 17 - 1:13 pm et

link

Finishing off some of the sentence that he started serving last summer. dates back to his college days, nothing new so don't worry people!

Very sad news about Toomer indeed, the GOAT will be missed! We have offered a second round tender to RFA K-Dock so if another team makes a contract offer to him and we don't match it we get a 2nd round pick.

Very sad news about Toomer indeed, the GOAT will be missed! We have offered a second round tender to RFA K-Dock so if another team makes a contract offer to him and we don't match it we get a 2nd round pick.

Dockery got a bit of stick on one of the NFL forums I'm on by Giants fans, though I've nevre really noticed anything bad about him.. maybe I just don't understand the NFL so well then or something!

Win/win for us really, another 2nd rounder will be nice (we already have another 2nd rounder from the Shockey trade, don't we?) and our CB group at the moment is young, so we won't have to worry about that position for a while.

I think K-Dock is a good nickel corner but as a starter he doesn't have the size and can give up the odd big play. He will be getting around $1.5m for a second round tender so that's a reasonable deal and i don't anticipate anyone will come in and make an offer for him with second round tender but if they do then i don't mind, take the second round pick, replace him with a cheap veteran in free agency that we seem to do so well and then use the pick to trade up or take best player available.

Butler has been told we will allow him to test free agency but to keep us informed, i think he will end up with Spags at the Rams.

February 18, 2009

Ward ready to be free

Derrick Ward wants to be a starter, and he knows it’s probably not going to happen in New York.

That’s what he said a few minutes ago on ESPN’s Rome Is Burning, in one of his final media appearances before he becomes a free agent on Feb. 27. He spoke well of his time with the Giants, but he sounded like a man clearly headed for the door.

“Right now I think I’m anxious to see what’s out there,” Ward said, when asked if he wanted to return to New York. “I feel that I accomplished a lot of my goals this year. I feel that I’m a quality starter. I can be a starter on a team. I can help a team win.”

Ward said he believes the only way that will happens is if he goes someplace else.

“Yeah, I think so,” Ward said. “They just franchised Brandon Jacobs. He’s the starter there. He’s their workhorse. He’s the one that sets the tone on the team. I was able to come in after him and do my thing. But I think I’m ready to take over that starting role for a team and help a team win.”

Ward didn’t completely rule out a return to the Giants, but after they franchised Jacobs and guaranteed him a $6.621 million salary for 2009, it’s hard to see them coming up with decent money for Ward, too.

“I mean, anything’s possible,” Ward said. “If the right situation was to come about with my contract and his contract I’d have to keep all options open. But right now I’m excited about getting into free agency and seeing what’s out there for me.”

During the interview, which was clearly set up by his new agent, Drew Rosenhaus, Ward listed Arizona, Cleveland and Houston as possible destinations for him because those are three teams he believes could use a running back. But he added “I see a lot of teams out there that might need my services.”

One of them, though, is apparently not the Giants, whom he said haven’t even discussed a new deal with him since the season ended.

“No, they haven’t approached me yet,” Ward said. “But hopefully something will happen in the next couple of days.”

That is extremely unlikely. At this point, the only way Ward will be back with the Giants next season is if he can’t find decent money and a starting job on the open market and comes crawling back at an extremely reduced rate.

The Giants have extended a “second-round tender” to CB Kevin Dockery, their lone restricted free agent, meaning he’s guaranteed a salary of $1.545 million next season. Not bad for a former undrafted free agent who made $445,000 last year.

Dockery can solicit offers from other teams from Feb. 27 through April 17, but the Giants have the right to match. If they don’t, they’ll be owed a second-round pick from whatever team signs him.

After seven straight years at the NFL’s annual scouting combine, I’ve decided to graciously turn over the keys to the Daily News’ Indianapolis bureau to Rich Cimini. So, while I enjoy a football-free weekend, please make sure to check out his Jets Stream blog for updates from the combine. And don’t forget to keep your eyes on the Daily News’ Giants page for breaking news, including reports from Tom Coughlin’s press conference at the combine on Friday, and Jerry Reese’s press conference at the combine on Saturday.

link

No surprises about Ward really, the only hope i had about his situation was that we would tag him and use him as trade bait but that isn't an option with Jacobs tagged now.

NOTES

Coughlin confirmed Mathias Kiwanuka will remain at defensive end next season as part of a three-man rotation with Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora. Kiwanuka switched to linebacker for his injury-shortened 2007 season and remained at the position in training camp last year. He switched back when Umenyiora suffered a season-ending knee injury against the Jets in the preseason.

Initially, RB Brandon Jacobs said he'd be upset if the team placed the franchise tag on him. But Jacobs said in the team's press release last week he felt the team's decision gave both sides a chance to work out a long-term deal.

"He understands that. And I think we did a pretty good job of (conveying that)," Coughlin said. "(General manager) Jerry (Reese) talked to him, (RB coach) Jerald Ingram talked to him, (director of PR) Peter-John Baptiste talked to him. So there were lots of opportunities to explain what was coming and why."

link

New York Giants' Coughlin: Door is open for Plaxico Burress' return

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Friday February 20, 2009, 10:02 PM

INDIANAPOLIS -- At the end of the 2004 season, Plaxico Burress didn't find as many suitors or as much money as he wanted on the free-agent market. The next season, with plenty to prove, Burress tied a career-high in touchdowns and came within two catches of his best output for receptions.

Two years ago, when he turned 30 and realized he wasn't going to play forever, Burress showed up early (for him) to the Giants' offseason workouts, started taking better care of his body and played through ankle, knee and shoulder injuries on the way to the Super Bowl.

This year, after shooting a hole in his leg, Burress is down again and needs to prove himself once more. The motivation to get back up, according to his coach, is apparently back.

"I know one aspect of it and Plaxico's been always solid about that. I know he has talked to (wide receivers coach) Mike Sullivan about it -- 'If I only can get back on the field, I want to be the kind of player that I can be,'" Tom Coughlin said Friday during his annual press conference at the NFL Scouting Combine.

There are still a lot of things that must fall into place before that happens:

Burress has to avoid jail time on charges of illegal possession of a firearm.

He must dodge a lengthy suspension by the NFL.

And his requests for a trade, which were made last week via an e-mail from his agent to the entire league, have to be withdrawn if he wants to remain a happy member of the Giants.

But if the focus and motivation are back for a player who seems to be at his best when he's knocked down a peg, his return to the Giants, which once seemed unlikely, could become a reality. And like the Giants have done since they suspended Burress and placed him on the non-football injury list in early December, Coughlin kept the door open for his return.

Even if he's not quite sure what the Giants will do in the meantime.

"You have to figure that ... I don't know how you figure that. For me, that's not an easy thing to answer," Coughlin said when asked if the team has to assume Burress won't return once free agency begins. "To speculate is not a very smart move on my part. Obviously, we're going to do all the work with that position, etc., etc. We'll just see what happens at the end of March (after Burress' court date on the 31st)."

No matter the outcome of the legal proceedings, the Giants know there will be a potential distraction to handle. Burress will either be incarcerated and/or suspended, back on the team in an attempt to return to prosperity, or he'll continue to demand a trade, a la Jeremy Shockey last season.

"I really haven't asked that question," Coughlin said when asked if Burress wants to be a Giant, "nor do I think anyone else has asked it."

Coughlin said he isn't worried about the distraction factor, as his leadership council has handled that part of the equation well. But when it comes to football, even Coughlin knows the team's performance wasn't as good without Burress.

And that's why they need him -- or someone like him -- on the field.

"Obviously, it'd be great to have a player -- if it's not Plaxico but with Plaxico's magnitude -- on our football team," Coughlin said. "And that's the thing that we've got to try to do for our team."

From above link also.

GIANTS, JETS EYE RAVENS LB SCOTT

By MARK CANNIZZARO and PAUL SCHWARTZ

Last updated: 3:35 pm

February 24, 2009

Posted: 2:28 am

February 24, 2009

Could it be possible that the Jets and Giants will be going after the same coveted linebacker in free agency?

Though it's likely that the Jets will be more aggressive in their pursuit of Ravens' linebacker Bart Scott, the Giants could show interest as well, since they have a need at that position.

The Jets, having recently released David Bowens and Brad Kassell and who might not re-sign free-agent-to-be Eric Barton, are thin at the linebacker position. The team is seemingly positioning itself to make a strong run at Scott, or perhaps even veteran Ray Lewis.

The Giants, having stated that Mathias Kiwanuka will remain at defensive end, are in need of a playmaker at linebacker, too. They ended the season with Chase Blackburn starting at weakside linebacker and he's probably more suited to a reserve role.

Bryan Kehl had a few bright moments as a rookie but he's no sure-thing as a replacement, and Gerris Wilkinson cannot stay healthy and on the field.

The Giants lack a playmaker at that spot and Scott could fill that void, but Scott's agent, Harold Lewis, said, "No, nothing at all," when asked about any Giants' interest in Scott to date.

Of course, that doesn't preclude the Giants from immediately making a call early Friday morning, once the free agent signing period begins, if Scott is free.

"He'd be a perfect guy to fit into their system," Lewis said.

The question here is whether Scott will get to the open market Friday, since the Ravens would like to re-sign both he and Ray Lewis, and both players have indicated they want to remain in Baltimore.

Harold Lewis, who said he's been "overwhelmed by teams showing interest" in Scott, made it clear that Scott's first choice is to stay in Baltimore.

"That's his No. 1 goal, to work out a deal with the Ravens," Lewis said.

Lewis did say, regarding the Jets, that it would be "very attractive to play with his coach up there," referring to Jets coach Rex Ryan, who has been Scott's defensive coordinator in Baltimore for Scott's entire NFL career.

"Bart started his career with Rex Ryan," Lewis said. "He owes so much to the teaching Rex has done with him. He's very grateful to that."

Lewis said that if Scott becomes a free agent on Friday they will decide on the two or three teams he wants to play for and quickly set up visits. Lewis said he thinks things will get done quickly because of the economic climate.

"It's going to be a different year this year, you've got to hit it hard and fast," he said.

link

February 23, 2009

Johnson, Tollefson, Douzable sign tenders

They had no choice, of course, but tight end Darcy Johnson, defensive end Dave Tollefson, and defensive tackle Leger Douzable — three of the Giants’ “exclusive rights free agents” — have signed their tender offers for the 2009 season, the Daily News has learned.

Johnson, who was signed by the Giants as an undrafted free agent in 2006, will be paid $460,000 next season. Tollefson, who joined the Giants in October of 2007, will also be paid $460,000. Douzable, who was signed to the practice squad in September and promoted to the 53-man roster on Dec. 2, will make $385,000.

The 26-year-old Johnson was the Giants third (and sometimes second) tight end last season. He had four catches for 46 yards and two touchdowns. He also had one 13-yard catch in the Giants’ lone playoff game.

Tollefson was part of the Giants’ rotation at defensive end. He played in 13 games and had 3 ½ sacks, though all of his sacks came in his first four games. He had none — and only eight tackles — in his last nine games.

Douzable did not get into any games last season.

An “exclusive rights free agent” is the lowest rung on the NFL’s free agent chain. It’s for players with less than three “accrued seasons” whose contracts have expired. If those players are offered a one-year contract at the minimum salary by their old club, they either have to sign it or sit out the season. They can’t shop for better offers around the league.

The Giants had six ERFAs. The other three — RB Danny Ware, RB Kay-Jay Harris and S Craig Dahl — have not signed their tenders yet. It’s a good bet, though, that they eventually will.

link

Report: T.J. No. 1 target for Giants

Wideout T.J. Houshmandzadeh of the Bengals is the top free agent on the New York Giants' wish list, according to The Sporting News.

Advertisement

2009 Easter Seals Autism Awareness PSA 160x600 banner ad Quantcast

The NFL's free agency period begins Friday, when teams will start combing the market for players essential to their 2009 season.

While Houshmandzadeh is a reliable receiver, TSN noted, "there is no way to find a comparable replacement to Plaxico Burress, as 6-5 receivers with speed and a huge wingspan are almost impossible to find. Burress faces a serious legal battle and possible jail time as a result of illegal gun charges."

Houshmandzadeh also is reportedly coveted by the Eagles, Ravens, Titans, 49ers, Dolphins and Seahawks.

link

Â