Giants News

kkr

That's a tough job he's taking there !! I'd say expectations are high. Wasn't long ago they were a superbowl winning team. He doesn't have the Denver roster or the Detroit patience to work with. But I'd say he'll be fine. I'd certainly be happy if I was a Rams fans right now though.

I think its a smart choice though, he obviously has assurances that all personnel decisions will be made by him which is a reason as to why he was being overlooked by other team.

He will get to mould the team how he wants to now, especially the D which has a few decent players on and im sure he will build a beastly unit eventually. Its one of the worst divisions in the NFL and the Rams do have some good players so i hope he does well. Them being a dome team will help the pass rush and they have the second selection in the draft as well so i think it is a good fit.

Will be interesting alright. I still say it's a tough job. Tougher than he could have had. In fact it's arguably the toughest one he could have picked out of the choices available to him.

I think its more that this one picked him and decided that they could trust him with personnel decisions as that was a reported sticking point with other teams. Will be very interesting to see how he moulds that roster though, both defensively and offensively. I will be following them keenly next season though.

More on Spags

The contract apparently will pay Steve Spagnuolo $11 million over four years to be head coach of the St. Louis Rams, and he undoubtedly will earn every penny of it trying to turn around that team.

Rumors have defensive line coach Mike Waufle in line to replace Spagnuolo as the Giants defensive coordinator. The team may feel Waufle is their most important defensive position coach and does not want to lose him to Spagnuolo, who could name him as his defensive coordinator.

link

Waufle has such intensity and passion for his job and does it very very well, sign him up as DC ASAP!

Giants eye Capers to replace Spagnuolo

The New York Giants are targeting Dom Capers as their next defensive coordinator, replacing Steve Spagnuolo, who was hired as Rams coach on Saturday, sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen Saturday.

Rams and Bucs hire coaches

NFL.com Video

The Rams hire Steve Spagnuolo.

Capers was New England's special assistant/secondary coach this season.

Capers was given permission and has interviewed for the Packers' defensive coordinator job but is more likely to go with Coughlin. Capers worked with Coughlin in Jacksonville in 1999 and 2000.

That would suck!

Rams Hire Spagnuolo

Saturday, January 17, 2009

By Nick Wagoner

Senior Writer

The Rams have chosen Steve Spagnuolo as their new head coach, the team announced officially on Saturday evening.

He will be introduced at a news conference on Monday at 11 a.m.

Spagnuolo, the New York Giants defensive coordinator, and the Rams agreed on a four-year deal only hours after Dallas offensive coordinator Jason Garrett departed St. Louis following his one night visit.

Spagnuolo was believed to be a favorite of ownership after an impressive presentation and interview in Los Angeles on Thursday afternoon.

Rams owners Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez along with senior adviser John Shaw, general manager Billy Devaney and director of player personnel Lawrence McCutcheon were part of three interviews this week involving Spagnuolo, Garrett and Minnesota defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier.

After those interviews concluded, Devaney made his recommendation to ownership. That recommendation as it turned out, was Spagnuolo.

"We considered some very qualified and outstanding candidates for this position but we kept coming back to Steve Spagnuolo,” Devaney said.

Rosenbloom said he was in agreement with Devaney after all of the hard work his general manager put in to find the right candidate.

"On behalf of Lucia (Rodriguez), Stan (Kroenke) and me, Billy did a spectacular job of presenting some fabulous candidates,” Rosenbloom said. “We’re very excited that Steve will be our head coach and are looking forward to an exciting season.”

In his two seasons in New York, Spagnuolo’s defenses have earned a reputation for a fierce pass rush combined with exotic and creative blitz schemes. With the likes of Michael Strahan, Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora at his disposal, it wasn’t a major surprise the Giants defense had such success rushing the passer in 2007.

This season, the Giants played without a retired Strahan and lost Umenyiora to injury before the season. Spagnuolo’s unit still finished the season ranked fifth in defense, allowing 292 yards per contest.

New York’s front four was so dominant in 2007 and in the playoffs, that it earned Spagnuolo a raise to about $2 million a year, making him one of the highest paid assistants in the league.

Spagnuolo is well respected and liked by his players for his ability to take into account their thoughts, adjust his game plans accordingly and resistance to point fingers when something goes wrong.

Considering Spagnuolo’s history, it’s not surprising that his defenses mirror his personality. Spagnuolo cut his teeth under legendary Philadelphia defensive coordinator Jim Johnson for eight seasons as a defensive assistant, defensive backs and linebackers coach for the Eagles.

There, Spagnuolo, 49, learned the many exotic and creative blitz packages that Johnson has a reputation for.

Spagnuolo took those principles with him to New York, running a base 4-3 defense that emphasizes a variety of blitz packages and various other ways to create pressure on the quarterback.

"Steve has been on some outstanding defensive staffs during his ten seasons in the NFL,” Devaney said. “He represented what we were looking for when this process began."

Born in Whitinsville, Mass., Spagnuolo played his college football at Springfield College where he was a wide receiver.

An east coast guy through and through, Spagnuolo developed a relationship with Devaney when the two were with the Redskins at the same time in 1983. At the time, Spagnuolo was a player personnel intern while Devaney was a scout.

A decade later, Spagnuolo was a scout in San Diego where Devaney was director of player personnel. That relationship combined with the Giants playoff run helped Devaney skip the preliminaries with Spagnuolo and advance him directly to the finalist round of interviews.

link

Spagnuolo named Rams Coach

By Michael Eisen, Giants.com

JANUARY 17, 2009

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ – The architect of the Giants’ defense is leaving to reconstruct a new team as its head coach.

Defensive Coordinator Steve Spagnuolo was named the Rams Head Coach on Saturday

Steve Spagnuolo, the defensive coordinator who helped the Giants win the Super Bowl last season and the NFC East title in 2008, today was named the new head coach of the St. Louis Rams.

“I’ve very happy for Steve,” Coach Tom Coughlin said. “He did a great job in his two years with the Giants. We’ve been very, very aggressive on defense and we’ve been able to have two very successful years back-to-back. Steve has made an outstanding contribution to our team and we wish Steve and Maria all the best.”

Spagnuolo interviewed for at least four head coaching jobs since the conclusion of the regular season, so the players and coaches knew he would likely leave to run his own program.

“Obviously, it’s a great opportunity for him,” said All-Pro defensive end Justin Tuck. “We are happy for him. He has done a lot for this organization in his short time here. Winning a Super Bowl in your first year as defensive coordinator is pretty impressive. I really think he has the skills necessary to be a successful head coach. He’s a hard worker and he quickly gained the respect of all his players. We wish him all the best.”

This season, the Giants’ defense ranked fifth in the NFL, allowing only 292.0 yards a game. It was the unit’s highest ranking and the fewest yards allowed since 2000, when the opponents of the NFC champions gained 281.4 yards per game. The Giants were ninth in the league in rushing defense (95.8 yards) and eighth against the pass (196.2). They were fifth in scoring defense, allowing 18.4 points a game.

Coughlin would not say how he plans to fill the vacany on his staff created by Spagnuolo’s departure.

Spagnuolo joined the Giants on Jan. 22, 2007 after eight seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles, the last three as the club's linebackers coach.

In 2007, the Giants ranked seventh in the league in total defense, allowing 305.0 yards a game. In 2006, the season before Spagnuolo’s arrival, the Giants ranked 25th in defense, surrendering 342.4 yards a game. The No. 7 ranking was the Giants’ highest since 2002, when they were ninth. The 305 yards per game were the fewest allowed by the Giants since 2000, when the NFC champions gave up 284.1 The defense ranked in the top 10 in the league in eight statistical categories, including opposing third down conversions (34.6 percent) and yards allowed per play (4.96 yards).

In 20 regular season and postseason games last season, the Giants’ defense held opponents to 17 points or less 12 times. The Giants were 12-0 in those games. Opposing quarterbacks had a passer rating of less than 75.0 in 11 games. The Giants won 10 of them. The Giants were eighth in the NFL in rushing defense, surrendering 97.7 yards per game, or about 17 fewer yards on the ground per game than they allowed in 2006. That was their highest ranking and lowest yardage allowed since 2001, when they were eighth 96.6 yards a game.

In 2007, the Giants led the NFL with 53 sacks, their highest sack total since they had a league-high 54 in 1998.

"I think Coach Spags is going to be very successful as a head coach," said cornerback Corey Webster, who blossomed in Spagnuolo's system. "You could see when he first came in here, early on, that he is a stand-up guy. We all had to earn his trust, but once we did, we began to play the aggressive style defense we all love to play. He is an aggressive coach by nature and that’s what makes him fun to play for. Spags did a great job here, but we have great players and coaches who contributed to that and who will look to continue the success."

The defense did its best work in the playoffs, particularly in the 17-14 victory over New England in Super Bowl XLII. In four games, the Giants allowed a total of 65 points. The last three of those games were against teams ranked at the top of the league statistically in the NFL during the regular season: Green Bay (No. 2), Dallas (No. 3) and New England (No. 1). The Giants limited them to a total of 51 points, or just 17 a game. The Patriots scored only 14 points in the Super Bowl after averaging 37 points a game in the regular season.

Spagnuolo and his defensive staff designed a game plan that put constant pressure on Tom Brady, who was sacked five times and knocked to the ground at least a dozen more times. The Patriots gained only 274 yards – 127 below their season average – including 45 on the ground, and did not have a play longer than 19 yards.

"Everybody knows Coach Spags turned this defense around in his two years here, but just that and his defense's stats are not what’s going to make him a good head coach," said defensive tackle Fred Robbins, one of the team's captains. "He is well-respected by all of us as players. He’s more than a coach, it's more than just football with Coach Spags. He’s a mentor and takes a personal interest in his players. I wouldn’t say he’s a players coach, but he knows what it takes to motivate his players. He gets us to work hard, but we have fun doing it and enjoy it, so it makes us want to work even harder."

“When Steve came in, he was obviously very energetic, very enthusiastic, very thorough, very knowledgeable and he knew exactly what he wanted to do,” Coughlin said. “Steve is a very smart coach and he became a disciple, if you will, of the way I wanted the program to be handled as well as anybody I’ve ever seen in a first-year coach. He came in and assessed what I wanted out of a program and worked with our defensive coaches to get it done. He’s done an outstanding job both on and off the field, and he’s been a real Giant in terms of his contribution.

“We wish Steve well and we know he’s going to do very well as a head coach in the National Football League.”

link

Beat out Jason Garrett for the job.

Packers land Capers as defensive coordinator

Posted: Around The Web | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Dom Capers, Green Bay Packers

Citing a source familiar with the search process, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported Sunday night that the Green Bay Packers will hire Dom Capers as their new defensive coordinator.

Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel reports:

The offer came after the two men spent part of Friday and much of Saturday discussing their philosophies on defense and what it would take to turn the Packers’ defense around.

In Capers, McCarthy is getting a coach who cut his teeth in the same 3-4 system the Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens used in their AFC Championship Game battle Sunday at Heinz Field. Capers took over the Steelers’ defense in 1992 and upon helping coach Bill Cowher build an eventual Super Bowl winner was hired as the expansion Carolina Panthers’ head coach.

After leaving the Panthers, Capers made stops in Jacksonville (defensive coordinator), Houston (head coach) and Miami (special assistant to the head coach, defensive coordinator) before joining the New England Patriots this season as a secondary coach.

Capers had been linked to jobs on the Denver Broncos’ and New York Giants’ staff, but he’s headed to Green Bay instead.

link

Was linked with Giants for DC position, glad we aren't getting him as i don't think it would work. I hope we stay in house and promote one of our worthy position coaches. If we don't then i reckon Spags will be along to take them for the DC position in St Louis.

Bill Sheridan named D. Coordinaor

By Michael Eisen, Giants.com

JANUARY 19, 2009

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - Tom Coughlin today moved swiftly and stayed in-house to fill an important vacancy on his coaching staff when he named Bill Sheridan as the Giants’ new defensive coordinator.

Sheridan, who turns 50 on Jan. 27, has been the team’s linebackers coach for the past four seasons. He succeeds Steve Spagnuolo, who is being introduced today as the St. Louis Rams’ new head coach. Spagnuolo was the Giants’ defensive coordinator for two years.

The Giants have been to the playoffs in each of Sheridan’s four seasons with the team.

“Bill is a very good football coach,” Coughlin said. “He does an excellent job of teaching, of reinforcing what we aspire to be with our defensive team. He’s coached our linebackers, he’s given a big assist to Steve in all that he has done. As a linebackers coach, you’re a central figure in the spoke, because you’re involved in the coordination of the front and the linebackers and then the back seven. He has done a good job of encompassing the entire defense and grasping the aggressive style.”

Sheridan spent the first day in his new role traveling to Mobile, Ala., where he will scout players this week at the Senior Bowl.

“Obviously, I’m thrilled,” Sheridan said. “I’m humbled but very, very excited and anxious to get going. I’ve prepared my entire career for this opportunity. I owe this to Tom Coughlin and Steve Spagnulo and the rest of the defensive staff – Peter Giunta, Mike Waufle, Dave Merritt and Andre Curtis. This is nothing more than a reflection of the success we’ve had here.”

Sheridan played an integral role on a defensive staff that helped the Giants win a Super Bowl and an NFC East title the last two seasons. Despite losing Michael Strahan to retirement and Osi Umenyiora to a season-ending injury, the Giants’ defense improved from seventh in the NFL to fifth in 2008, allowing only 292.0 yards a game. It was the unit’s highest ranking and the fewest yards allowed since 2000, when the opponents of the NFC champions gained 281.4 yards per game. The Giants were ninth in the league in rushing defense (95.8 yards) and eighth against the pass (196.2). They were fifth in scoring defense, allowing 18.4 points a game.

Sheridan said he will keep Spagnuolo’s system in place but will modify it according to his preferences and the players’ strengths.

“I’m sure, as much as anything, that’s Tom’s motivation for promoting from within, whether it was me or Peter Giunta – to keep the defense in place,” Sheridan said. “It’s obviously a proven, excellent system that Steve brought from Philadelphia. You’re obviously going to have a slightly different tint to it, because you have a different coordinator and will get different input from whoever Tom brings in from outside to complete the staff. But the system is in place and there’s a tremendous comfort level with the players.”

The Giants were eliminated from the playoffs last week in the divisional round, but Coughlin emphasized the recent success the team has had is one reason he preferred to promote from within.

“We won 26 games here in the last two years,” Coughlin said. “Despite the fact that we’re all miserable, there is an inclination when that happens that you would stay within.

“Continuity is important to me, but the strength of staff is important, too. We’ve lost Steve, our coordinator, but it takes many, many people to be successful and to function properly. Of course, all the coaches on the defensive side of the ball did an outstanding job in working together. They worked very well together. There was great harmony on that side of the ball. I want to keep that, I want to keep the continuity, I want the players to know that the fact they have performed to a high level the last two years is, in a way, being rewarded. One of the coaches from the staff has been elevated to the coordinator’s role and the terminology will stay the same."

Coughlin yesterday interviewed both Sheridan and Giunta, the secondary coach/cornerbacks, who was the defensive coordinator for the Rams team that won Super Bowl XXXIV following the 1999 season. Coughlin said he was impressed with both coaches. He informed both coaches of his decision early this morning.

“Both were very good,” Coughlin said. “Peter has been a coordinator before. I just felt in my gut that Bill would be the right choice.

“My questions to the two candidates were: ‘How do we get better? Where do we go from here?’ Both had very good answers, very solid, aggressive, going forward-type answers. And that’s the message that I want. The message that goes out there is we do have the New York Giant defense, we will play the New York Giant defense, we will recognize our players and our coaches that have attained a couple years of good, solid play here. And our intentions going forward are that we improve and be better. We’re excited about the opportunity to get this group together again and add some other players to the group and to improve.”

The Giants’ linebackers have played well under Sheridan’s tutelage. He joined the team the same year as Antonio Pierce, who was a Pro Bowler the following season, a first alternate this year and is recognized as one of the NFL’s finest middle linebackers. Sheridan helped Mathias Kiwanuka make a successful transition from defensive end to strongside linebacker before the third-year pro returned to end this season after Umenyiora’s season-ending injury. Chase Blackburn has developed from a little-known rookie free agent to NFL starter under Sheridan.

"It's good to know that there will not be many changes," said Pierce. "Bill is a hard worker and is very familiar with the defense. Obviously, we did great things on defense over the last two seasons, and I am looking forward to what Bill will bring as defensive coordinator."

“Coach Sheridan has been very in tune to everything we've done on defense over that last two seasons,” defensive tackle Fred Robbins said. “He should have no problem adjusting to his new role as defensive coordinator. It's good that we will not have to start this whole defense over. We've been in it for two seasons and we've had success, we all know the system and it will be good to continue to work in it.”

All-Pro defensive end Justin Tuck also endorsed Sheridan as the new defensive coordinator.

“Coach Sheridan is a very knowledgeable football guy,” Tuck said. “He's a quality coach. It's good that we kept it in-house so we can continue to improve on a successful defense. I'm very excited to see what coach Sheridan will do in his new role.”

Umenyiora, Pierce, Robbins, Tuck, and defensive backs Aaron Ross, Corey Webster, Michael Johnson and Kenny Phillips help form a strong defensive nucleus.

“We have good personnel,” Sheridan said. “Every team in the league has needs and we’re in the process of identifying those as we go into free agency. But there is no doubt we have an excellent returning nucleus, as we have had here. That is one thing Jerry Reese and the personnel department have done – we have gotten players, especially in the draft. We have excellent young players on defense.”

Sheridan said he learned much from Spagnuolo in their two years together.

“Not just the scheme itself – the fundamentals of the scheme itself and the pressure package,” Sheridan said. “I think Steve did a great job of looking at our defense as our opponents did, with a self-scout mentality. He was always trying to be one step ahead with regard to how we were being viewed by our opponents.”

Sheridan came to the Giants from the University of Michigan, where he coached the linebackers in 2002 and the defensive line the following two seasons. He coached the safeties and special teams at Notre Dame in 2001 and the linebackers at Michigan State from 1998-2000. Sheridan also had coaching stints at Maine, Cincinnati and Army.

“I liked the fact that he had great versatility,” Coughlin said of his decision to bring Sheridan into the NFL. “He had coached the linebacker position, the defensive line position and the secondary. And he coached at some great places – Michigan, Notre Dame and Michigan State. He’d been at Army with Bob Sutton. He had been at some outstanding programs and schools that not only win but are very high in tradition. He had been exposed to different coaches and people that I have respect for and he came very highly recommended.”

The Giants retained all of their coaches after winning Super Bowl XLII last year. In the last week, they have lost two assistants, Spagnuolo and assistant offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo, who is the new line coach with the Miami Dolphins. Coughlin was asked about filling the void left by Sheridan’s promotion.

“I’m now going to begin to find the best coach,” Coughlin said. “If it happens to be a linebackers coach, fine. We’ll progress that way and try to find the best coach. My position is always to strengthen. That’s my whole goal, to strengthen. The philosophy that I’ve always operated by, and it was developed a long, long time ago, is you do have to have a chain of command, so the process does work efficiently. But every guy, no matter what his job is, has to be doing it to the best of his ability and the players that he coaches have to play to the best of their ability in order for us to be successful. So for me, it’s the idea of strengthening, always trying to be aware of the people you have in place and how best can another coach suit the group that’s presently here, but add to us and help us be a better staff and a better team.”

link

Good appointment, i would have preferred Waufle the D line coach but im happy all the same. I just hope Spags doesn't come along and take Waufle to be his D coordinator now, which if he is smart he will do!

Will Anquan Boldin's anger eventually lead him away from the Cardinals and possibly to the Giants? Too soon to tell, but it's clear from the star receiver's temperament in yesterday's 32-25 victory over the Eagles in the NFC Championship Game that all is not sunshine and roses for him in Arizona, and that a trade could be his way out. On the Cardinals' game-winning drive, Boldin and offensive coordinator Todd Haley engaged in a heated shouting match on the sideline. Boldin was steamed he was off the field, and Haley was trying to explain the personnel group he called for had Steve Breaston in the game in place of Boldin. But Boldin did not accept that reasoning. He left University of Phoenix Stadium without speaking to reporters. Boldin has played angry all season after he was denied a new contract. The Giants, with Plaxico Burress' situation in limbo, certainly will be watching his situation carefully.

New York Post

link

A tribal football-esque link but this is the receiver i want us to go get in the offseason.

He is unhappy in Arizona because they paid Fitz and not him, he wants out also and i thought he looked angry all season in his play, but thats probably just me hoping.

Will a Super Bowl change that, maybe so but if he is shouting with the OC on the game winning drive and leaving the stadium without talking to the press after the greatest moment in his career and franchise history then it seems there might be an irreparable break down between team and player.

I hope so and i hope the Giants go after him as i think he is perfect for us, the most physical receiver in the game, strong, great hands, not lightening speed but quick enough and a good blocker also.

He is usually the model-pro also so his situation in Arizona must really be pissing him off!

Franchise tag Ward and offer him, Sinorice Moss a second and a 6th and see how close that is to a deal!

Toomer $3,800,120

Pierce $4,000,000

Sammy Knight $2,150,000

Danny Clark $2,100,000

Lawrence Tynes $2,045,000

Reuben Droughns $1,503,480

D Ward $2,052,640

RW $1,500,000

S Madison $1,280,000

Mcdougle $1,000,000

Cap situation of certain players. I reckon we could be rid of a fair few there which would save a fair bit, there is also then hopefully the Plax situation allowing us to tear up the contract or not have it count against the cap some how.

We will have a cap limit of $130.1m this year as we added $7.1m due to a missed "incentive" from Darcy Johnson so we could have a bit of room to manoeuvre.

Spagnuolo adds coordinators Shurmur, Flajole to Rams' staff

NFL.com Wire Reports

St. Louis Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo announced the appointments of Pat Shurmur as offensive coordinator and Ken Flajole as defensive coordinator on Thursday.

Associated Press

Pat Shurmur (left) and Ken Flajole will both be first-time coordinators in St. Louis.

Reports surfaced soon after the Rams hired Spagnuolo last week that Shurmer and Flajole were leading candidates for the positions.

"Both of these coaches exemplify what we expressed at our news conference earlier this week," Spagnuolo said. "That is the four pillars: faith, character, core values, and team first.

"In addition, Pat and Ken are excellent teachers, which is what we are looking for in our staff. Both come from outstanding, successful organizations. We look forward to having them with the Rams as we get under way and go forward."

Shurmur, whose uncle, Fritz, was a Rams coach from 1982 to 1990, spent the last seven seasons as quarterbacks coach for the Philadelphia Eagles, a span in which Donovan McNabb earned three of his five Pro Bowl berths.

Shurmur joined the Eagles' staff in 1999. He coached tight ends and with the offensive line from 1999 to 2001. Prior to coming to Philadelphia, Shurmur spent 11 years as an assistant at Stanford (1998) and Michigan State (1988-97).

Flajole spent the last six seasons as linebackers coach for the Carolina Panthers. He coached defensive backs and linebackers for the Seattle Seahawks from 1999 to 2002 and in 1998 served as a defensive quality-control coach for the Green Bay Packers.

Prior to coming to the NFL, Flajole spent 21 years coaching in the college ranks, including five seasons (1989-93) at Missouri.

link

Thanks for not taking Waufle or Giunta Spags!

Giants reserve WR shot in hand, leg in Alabama

Associated Press

DECATUR, Ala. -- New York Giants receiver Taye Biddle is recovering from gunshot wounds to his hand and leg after being shot while visiting family in his hometown.

Decatur police said in a statement Thursday that Biddle was shot outside a residence and was treated and released from a hospital. Police said there was no evidence Biddle caused or provoked the shooting.

"He had surgery on his hand today," Biddle's friend, Bruce Jones, told The Decatur Daily Thursday. "He told me his leg is OK, and he ought to be fine."

The 25-year-old Biddle grew up in Decatur and played college football at the University of Mississippi.

Police have not made any arrests in the case.

Biddle was promoted from the Giants' practice squad after receiver Plaxico Burress was suspended for a game in September.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

link

Giants' DeOssie headed to Honolulu as NFC's long snapper

New York Giants

Zak DeOssie planned to attend the Pro Bowl as a spectator, courtesy of Jeff Feagles. Now he'll play in the game, courtesy of Andy Reid.

Reid, the Philadelphia Eagles coach who will lead the NFC team in the Feb. 8 game in Honolulu, selected New York Giants long snapper DeOssie as his "need" player.

Pro Bowl coaches are permitted to pick one player at a position where they think the need is greatest. The NFC team didn't have a long snapper, and since Feagles, the Giants' punter and holder, and John Carney, the team's kicker, are on the NFC squad, Reid figured he might as well send a player who's accustomed to working with them.

"I am the luckiest kid on the planet," said DeOssie, a second-year pro from Brown. "I'm sitting at home, and the next thing I know, I am going to be playing in the Pro Bowl. It is very, very exciting."

It's tradition for Pro Bowl players to repay teammates and coaches -- and significant others -- who helped make their trip to Hawaii possible by treating them to a trip to the game. Feagles was going to fly out DeOssie, and Carney is paying for his snapper, Jay Alford, to visit the islands.

"I got off easy because the league will pay for Zak now," Feagles said. "It looks like our plan worked. You put the cart before the horse."

link

Nice one coach Reid!

25176724uk3.jpg

32525103wy6.jpg

52158388vo6.jpg

27122842ua8.jpg

link

Corey Webster's contract is obviously front loaded.

The 2009 totals only come up to just under $66m which is less than half the cap limit for the Giants of $130.1m so the numbers must just be base salary and not take into account the bonuses and the players true cap number.

If Plax legal troubles don't go well and we cant tear up his contract then it will cost us just $4.4m worth of dead cap space to cut him which i think would be worth doing.

We need to resign Jacobs and front load it if possible and i wouldn't resign Eli until next offseason and backload his deal.

Â