Gaming 2022

hogso

I’ll never understand why the recent TR Trilogy is held in such high regard, 3 of the most boring, generic and formulaic games ever made, they aren’t fun to play, the controls are horrid and the stories are terrible, hell they aren’t even better than the underrated and awesome (imo) Legend/Underworld/Anniversary games. 

19 hours ago, villa4europe said:

New TR game announced today at the state of unreal event 

The last game had ran out of steam which was a shame because the first 2 in that run were great 

Being worked on by the Days Gone director, I'd read, which gives me high hopes but simultaneously gutted that we're definitely never getting a Days Gone sequel (and probably therefore not the teased Syphon Filter reboot/sequel).

• Like 2

I’d be down with a Syphon Filter remake, god can you imagine that “I’ve shat myself” running style in Uber 4K graphics!!!

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

max payne remake has been announced

i'll be playing it, feels almost like 3rd person shooters are dying off a bit, adventure in favour of the action

(agree GarethRDR there is definitely room for a syphon filter reboot)

I'm curious when we'll see Max Payne 1+2 Remake as they announced it mere minutes after the ink dried on signing the agreement. I think it'll be in pre-production for a while as they slowly work through their current projects. 

Alan Wake 2 is in full-production and set for 2023 release, while Control's Multiplayer spin-off is also in full-production, no release window for that though.

Then there is Control 2 which is likely still in pre-production, and then they have Project Vanguard for Tencent which is also at some stage of development, not much known about that one outside it being a live service game. 

Hard to say where Max Payne 1+2 Remake fit in. I would love to see it as soon as possible, but Remedy are busier than almost any other studio in the industry right now. 

• Like 1

On 07/04/2022 at 21:55, og1874 said:

Have Control but didn’t get into it after playing an hour or so. Lots of good reports about it so might add it to the list again

Definitely needs proper time to open up, and I'd say the less you go in knowing the better.  One of those games I'd love to selectively wipe my memory of so I could play it through for the first time.

On 14/04/2022 at 21:28, Talldarkandransome said:

Waiting patiently for Starfield, dont normally go for RPGs but this one is sticking out

This (combined with the fact that I could actually get hold of an Xbox as opposed to a PS5) is what's tempting me to switch back for this console generation.

• Like 1

ATTN @villa4europe and other fans - four of the six Syphon Filter games have been age rated for PS4/5, presumably allowing them to appear on the revamped PS+ come June. 

The games are SF 1, 2, Dark Mirror, and Logan's Shadow. This isn't actually bad news that there are 2 games missing (SF 3 and Omega Strain), as those 2 are generally considered the worst of the bunch, and the two pairs of games which are coming have continuity in the story, so it makes perfect sense that those are the ones which would appear, really. 

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

square enix have sold off crystal dynamics, eidos and SE montreal to the embracer group for $300m

means they get the licenses for tomb raider, legacy of kain, deus ex, thief, gex and then i think they're just publishers for hitman so they dont get that series

surprised its not worth more, maybe the hit from avengers and guardians of the galaxy is that bad

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

square enix have sold off crystal dynamics, eidos and SE montreal to the embracer group for $300m

means they get the licenses for tomb raider, legacy of kain, deus ex, thief, gex and then i think they're just publishers for hitman so they dont get that series

surprised its not worth more, maybe the hit from avengers and guardians of the galaxy is that bad

There will be other companies in this industry rolling their eyes at the valuation thinking it should have been higher, but $300 million would fit how little Square Enix cared about their western studios. 

Square Enix are masters of the double standard. Their Japanese studios are allowed to get away with poor sales, while their western studios are given sales targets they'll never hit. If Square Enix think $300 million is a good deal then it says a lot about their lack of interest.

I look forward to seeing what Embracer do with these studios/IP. This is a huge acquisition in the grand scheme of things. 

• Like 1

Square are a weird weird company. They are heading in the same direction Konami did. 

I’d be up for a 4K rerelease of all the Soul Reaver/LoK games though!

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

Square Enix are looking to invest the $300 million into the blockchain, AI and the cloud.

This would stay true to what the Square Enix CEO has been saying about NFTs and "play-to-earn" being the future of gaming. 

Square Enix just binned off pretty much their entire western division for a paltry sum just to strengthen their interest in web3 and blockchain gaming.

"The Transaction will assist the Company in adapting to the changes underway in the global business environment by establishing a more efficient allocation of resources, which will enhance corporate value by accelerating growth in the Company's core businesses in the digital entertainment domain. In addition, the Transaction enables the launch of new businesses by moving forward with investments in fields including blockchain, AI, and the cloud. The move is based on the policy of business structure optimization that the Company set forth under the medium-term business strategy unveiled on May 13, 2021.

The Transaction will also provide an opportunity to better align our overseas publishing function with our organization in Tokyo, revisit the current governance structure and associated reporting lines, and advance integrated group management with the goal of maximizing the worldwide revenue generated from future titles launched by the group's studios in Japan and abroad.

Going forward, the Company's development function will comprise its studios in Japan, Square Enix External Studios, and Square Enix Collective. The Company's overseas studios will continue to publish franchises such as JUST CAUSE, OUTRIDERS, and Life is Strange."

Source: Execution of Share Transfer Agreement with Change to Subsidiaries (square-enix.com)

Not sure if anyone on here played the superb Salt and Sanctuary (if not, then you really should) but it's sequel Salt and Sacrifice has been given a release date of 10th May. 

First day purchase for me.

On 02/05/2022 at 09:05, villa4europe said:

In my dream-the-impossible-dream-world, there will come a day when Crystal Dynamics start idly perusing their old IPs and on a fevered whim, decide to do something with Titan Wars/Solar Eclipse, a brutally difficult on-rails shooter of the Saturn/PSX era with possibly the greatest example of gloriously cheesy live action FMVs (featuring amongst other acting luminaries; Claudia Christian from Babylon 5 and someone who had a bit-part in Road House).

Think the game was played by about 20 people in total.