Gaming 2022

hogso

Tim Rogers released the first review in Action Button's second season a week ago.

Boku no Natsuyasumi from 2000 on PS1. A boy spends a month at his Aunt and Uncle's in the Japanese countryside during August 1975. You choose how he spends his time.

For me, it is essential viewing. It's probably his most personal Action Button review yet, as a large portion of the review is related to his memory condition, and own childhood.

Edited by hogso

• 2 weeks later...

They have three full-fledged Silent Hill games in the works and a movie. Now, whether we see all of them is another story. 

I think we'll see Silent Hill 2 Remake considering "In your restless dreams, do you see that town?" is a quote from Silent Hill 2, it's a bit on the nose, but a tease is a tease, and I also think we'll see Silent Hill: The Short Message which is either the name of the upcoming all new Silent Hill game, or the name of the playable demo for that game. 

Aside from that I'm not sure what else could appear. I have heard that Annapurna signed on to do an episodic Silent Hill game, but I'm not sure how far a long in development that one is. 

3 hours ago, Daweii said:

They have three full-fledged Silent Hill games in the works and a movie. Now, whether we see all of them is another story. 

I think we'll see Silent Hill 2 Remake considering "In your restless dreams, do you see that town?" is a quote from Silent Hill 2, it's a bit on the nose, but a tease is a tease, and I also think we'll see Silent Hill: The Short Message which is either the name of the upcoming all new Silent Hill game, or the name of the playable demo for that game. 

Aside from that I'm not sure what else could appear. I have heard that Annapurna signed on to do an episodic Silent Hill game, but I'm not sure how far a long in development that one is. 

Multi platform or have Sony chucked money at them?

Would be a big coup for Sony (whilst of course still taking MS to court for anti competition reasons or whatever bullshit them came up with)

44 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Multi platform or have Sony chucked money at them?

Would be a big coup for Sony (whilst of course still taking MS to court for anti competition reasons or whatever bullshit them came up with)

I haven't heard anything about platforms for these games.

That said I wouldn't be surprised if most of these games were timed PS5 exclusives, especially Silent Hill 2 Remake given its name recognition in the mainstream. 

• Like 1

If they do as good a remake as capcom did with RE2 then it's a winner

I have no love for retro gaming but at the same time I have absolutely no problem with the remake market and would welcome Dino crisis, ZOE and the definitely onimusha and MGS, think the onimusha chance was in the last 2 years off the back of the samurai game popularity following GoT and it's now or never, love that series

I look at this upcoming capcom Dino EDF game and just think surely a remake of one of their old games would be better even say viewtiful Joe let alone okami

And as I Googled "earth defence force" the magic search engine predicted earthworm Jim, there's a series who needs a comeback

I watched some beta gameplay of Exoprimal, and it did look good fun. I'd never buy it though. 

What I would buy is Earth Defence Force 6. Still no English language release date! 

The Silent Hill stream has ended.

• Silent Hill 2 Remake (developed by Bloober Team) - PS5/PC [12-month timed exclusive on PS5]
  • Silent Hill Townfall (developed by No Code, published by Annapurna)
  • Return to Silent Hill (Movie, directed by Christophe Gans)
  • Silent Hill: Ascension (developed by Genvid, Bad Robot, and Behaviour Interactive)
  • Silent Hill F (developed by Neobards Entertainment)

Ascension seems to be the game that was rated in South Korea as "The Short Message". I have also included platforms where available, although most of these games didn't specify their platform.  

Edited by Daweii
  • Like 1

I was never the biggest fan of 'survival horror' back in the day, the only game during the era I truly enjoyed was Dino Crisis. What is the logic behind remaking Silent Hill 2 rather than / before Silent Hill 1? Is Shattered Memories treated as a 'remake', so they're current gen-ing the second game instead?

25 minutes ago, hogso said:

I was never the biggest fan of 'survival horror' back in the day, the only game during the era I truly enjoyed was Dino Crisis. What is the logic behind remaking Silent Hill 2 rather than / before Silent Hill 1? Is Shattered Memories treated as a 'remake', so they're current gen-ing the second game instead?

I think it all comes down to resources and time. Silent Hill 2 is a completely standalone story in the Silent Hill franchise, at least for the most part. There are some connections to Silent Hill 2 in Silent Hill 4, but for the most part the game stands alone which makes it a prime candidate for a remake if they have no plans to remake any other game in the series. Shattered Memories was a reimagining of Silent Hill 1, but I don't think that was counted as a remake. I think ultimately it comes down to the fact that if they remake Silent Hill 1 then they have to remake Silent Hill 3 as the two games are heavily connected. It feels very Konami to see that as too much work.

• Thanks 1

The Callisto Project has had it's expected Japanese release cancelled.

The above tweet confirms that, and says pre-orders will be refunded.  

The devs have declined to make the requested edits to the game made by the Japanese rating board, the CERO, which would have given it a Z, or 18+, rating. 

This is kind of unusual, as many other AAA games we enjoy unedited in the west, like Last of Us, Witcher 3, and GTA V, have all been edited in the past to ensure they get a release in Japan. 

Translations of the above tweet suggest it specifically says 'as of now the game cannot be released', so perhaps they can work with CERO and get a version out. 

If you're wondering how that works for survival horror games of a Japanese origin, well, we often get an uncut version versus the Japanese release. In recent years anyway, the current CERO rating system began in 2002, so pre '02 it was different. 

• Like 1