Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Sorry mate, but I really dislike this sort of statement.

As far as I can see no ones standard has dropped, some fans are just hopeful that the current manager can turn things around, possibly so that we don’t have to pay out millions of £’s in compensation, possibly so that we don’t take on the gamble that the next manager/head coach might also not reach the required standard.

Is that really such a bad thing?

I respect that, I also am in this camp. But it's more than this. There are definitely people who have done a complete 180 in 1 year. The only reason I can conclude is because our manager is Stevie G. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

But Gerrard fans keep telling me last season doesn’t matter. He’s had the fabled sodding pre season also.

without his coach?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, TRO said:

They finished 8th last season?

They are in poor form like us, who knows what happens, when it changes.

Its hard, to just predict, absolute outcomes, surely you have seen this so far , this season, some bizarre results.

I would guess many teams down the bottom will recover....its just a start, thats all it is.

Arsenal lost the first 4 last season, and experienced a fall out like ours.....they recovered form and finished 5th......I'll bet you would take that, wouldn't you.

Have faith man.

I’m afraid TRO in our current circumstances and their own predicament a draw isn’t good enough and will do very little to help our current trajectory and mindset.

This doesn’t mean that I think we will win - I don’t, but all things considered a draw is not enough.

Maybe if you want Gerrard gone at all costs - it will fuel your fire further maybe?

I do want him gone asap but not at the price of losing the game.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

get over it.

Exactly 1 year ago you were complaining the manager had a 41% win percentage. Our current manager's win percentage is 35% (not including preseason). Are there mitigating circumstances that I'm missing, that makes you more forgiving this season? From where I'm standing, the manager has had a smooth preseason to get his ideas across, funds to get players he wanted and an almost fully fit squad to choose from during the season so far.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'll say it again but my god, the hypocrisy is unreal. 

Is there any situation that would cause you to lose faith? Because being one of the worst sides in the league, facing a relegation battle doesn't seem to bother you as much as when we faced a relegation battle with a much worse squad and under much tougher conditions.

is there any situation, that would cause you to gain some?.....bar from the obvious.

can you not see positives, without the aid of a win?

1 minute ago, TRO said:

is there any situation, that would cause you to gain some?.....bar from the obvious.

can you not see positives, without the aid of a win?

If we played well, battled every match but ultimately lost every match unluckily and got relegated is that still good enough for you?

18 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

They’ve also hadn’t only won one game out of 5 at the time tbf. 

Yeah but you're missing the most obvious point.

As a matter of fact you may have enhanced it.

The Champions will have been looking to come to a team in terrible form and collect an easy 3 points. They didn't because we turned up.

I understand that ideally we need 3 points to offsett our terrible start, but that doesn't change that facts that in Football nothing is a given.

What if we perform very well and draw by terrible ref decision or fluke etc?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The Champions will have been looking to come to a team in terrible form and collect an easy 3 points. They didn't because we turned up.

I understand that ideally we need 3 points to offsett our terrible start, but that doesn't change that facts that in Football nothing is a given.

I'd be happy with that (kinda, because we really need the points). It'll be an improvement over 90% of the season so far.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Exactly 1 year ago you were complaining the manager had a 41% win percentage. Our current manager's win percentage is 35% (not including preseason). Are there mitigating circumstances that I'm missing, that makes you more forgiving this season? From where I'm standing, the manager has had a smooth preseason to get his ideas across, funds to get players he wanted and an almost fully fit squad to choose from during the season so far.

How many games have they each had?....

Deans win ratio in the premier league with us is 32%....the 41 you talk about includes the championship....albeit, my source says 39%

Its not great, improvement, granted, but he needs a bit longer than 6 games this season, to hit him over the head with that hammer.

sack him then, if thats what you want.

Edited by TRO

16 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

If we played well, battled every match but ultimately lost every match unluckily and got relegated is that still good enough for you?

No,.....but progress doesn't work like that.

what do you think Arteta is doing that he wasn't doing when he was losing at the start of last season?......still the same guy, now.

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Your, too clever for all this.

36 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

But Gerrard fans keep telling me last season doesn’t matter. He’s had the fabled sodding pre season also.

Also, Arteta who spent time under Guardiola had a clear plan to weed out bad habits and bad ego’s, played his best players and a consistent team where he could with actual visible tactics and gameplan. Does Gerrard do any of this?

How do we know he doesn't?

How do we know, if Chuk, was stinking the place out?

9 backroom staff have gone, whats that all about..... we simply don't know, what is going on, other than results.

Arteta had his pre season too last season before losing 4 on the bounce and getting Norwich, to bail him out.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

No,.....but progress doesn't work like that.

what do you think Arteta is doing that he wasn't doing when he was losing at the start of last season?......still the same guy, now.

Arteta has shown that he learns and adapts based on opposition, their tactics and what happens in game. 

Gerrard has shown that if you throw enough shit at the wall then now and again you get what Gerrard fans will convince you is a 1-1 victory. 

Look, we beat Leicester and Southampton and continue that momentum into the rest of the season then that’s great for Villa, I’d even accept a win at Leicester and a draw at Saints but either way anything but a win at Leicester and it’s curtains for him. 

55 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Wild what a big name can do to people's standards and expectations. 

Boggles the mind. We can’t be rubbish because the handsome men in suits on telly say we aren’t and remember Shankley! He was a scouser too.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

27 points from the last 26 PL games from January up until now in 2022.

Why not just put his total points tally since taking over? Or does that look slightly better or worse? 

Gerrard is fortunate that our next game is Leicester away imo. Rodger's team plays a possession based game and at home particularly they look to dominate possession. That means we don't have to get sucked into lots of unproductive sideways and backwards play in front of a low block defence, with the usual space behind our backs exploited.

We can do what we do best which is to counter attack. If it goes well then SG has to remember the feeling and force himself to do the same against Southampton who are next up and are currently playing low possession football. Pragmatism and patience are his two best friends.

28 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'd be happy with that (kinda, because we really need the points). It'll be an improvement over 90% of the season so far.

Don't get me wrong mate, I want the next 6 points as well just to even things up.

Less than 4 and it's still a bit deflating.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Arteta has shown that he learns and adapts based on opposition, their tactics and what happens in game. 

Gerrard has shown that if you throw enough shit at the wall then now and again you get what Gerrard fans will convince you is a 1-1 victory. 

Look, we beat Leicester and Southampton and continue that momentum into the rest of the season then that’s great for Villa, I’d even accept a win at Leicester and a draw at Saints but either way anything but a win at Leicester and it’s curtains for him. 

You are a hindsight man aren't you.

They will be saying that about Gerrard, if he goes on a winnings streak.

Its hind-sight v foresight.

but have it your way.

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

You are a hindsight man aren't you.

They will be saying that about Gerrard, if he goes on a winnings streak.

Its hind-sight v foresight.

but have it your way.

Arteta has as we’ve seen. Gerrard hasn’t as we’ve seen. 

His remit is quite widely known now to be 6 points out of the 4 games from when he had the meeting with the owners. He’s got one point with two games left. 

Like I said, if fortunes changed that’s great but it starts with Leicester. I reiterate, if he loses to Leicester then he should be sacked. Your weird support at times of our shittest managers is truly something astounding. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â