Injuries in Womens Football

PussEKatt

I am sure you have all noticed how in mens football,when a player brushes past another player the player goes down as if he has been poleaxed.He lies there,not moving and giving the impression that he is suffering from a near death experiance,the physio and doctor come on and the game is stopped/held up.  Yet in Womens football they can do a sliding tackle or run into each other and both players just get up and get on with it.

So,what is it with mens football,are they a bunch of pansies can we learn something from the women ? or maybe the ref should just leave them writhing in agony on the ground unless there is a sign of blood.How about 10 minutes in the sin bin if it turns out they were not really injured at all.the trouble there is that we could have 5/6 players from each side in the sin bin at the same time.

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I've noticed something similar. My guess is that women are running slower, with less force in tackles, and so contacts just hurt less on average. That could be absolute nonsense though :D

Yes, 100% nonsense :D

It's more because the men's game has included simulation as an artform and players aren't embarrassed by it.  As @Zatman says, the sportsmanship generally in the women's game is a LOT better.

I'd currently equate the women's game closer to men's grass roots games. I think at the men's elite level, with so much money and prestige at stake, the temptation to cheat in any way you can in order to gain an advantage is too strong and too beneficial to ignore. Shameful but that's what it is.

From a sporting point of view I think the other games still have an honesty to them because from a financial aspect there isn't as much at stake.

• Like 2

I blame the refs (and their rules) personally.  Make a new rule that any obvious faking of injury will be a red card.  

Yes, the first few matches will be played as 5 a sides by the second half, and they'll be lots of controversial red cards.... but i bet by the 5th game, no-one will exaggerate an injury anymore.

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'd currently equate the women's game closer to men's grass roots games. I think at the men's elite level, with so much money and prestige at stake, the temptation to cheat in any way you can in order to gain an advantage is too strong and too beneficial to ignore. Shameful but that's what it is.

From a sporting point of view I think the other games still have an honesty to them because from a financial aspect there isn't as much at stake.

I was going to post the same.  I think men's football must be the worst sport in the world for when it comes to cheating.  Graeme Souness would blame the Latins of course.

I remember watching a game during the World Cup I think 2019 and took me about 30 minutes to realise why it was strange. Wasnt one dive or playacting

Quality and speed isnt the same but was refreshing to watch. 

15 hours ago, ender4 said:

I blame the refs (and their rules) personally.  Make a new rule that any obvious faking of injury will be a red card.  

Yes, the first few matches will be played as 5 a sides by the second half, and they'll be lots of controversial red cards.... but i bet by the 5th game, no-one will exaggerate an injury anymore.

As I said.In this situation a sin bin would be a good idea,red card would be a bit drastic but I do think we need to do something about all this B grade acting.

15 hours ago, BOF said:

I think at the men's elite level, with so much money and prestige at stake, the temptation to cheat in any way you can in order to gain an advantage is too strong and too beneficial to ignore. Shameful but that's what it is.

How would you explain NFL then ? Some really hard tackles/knocks but not too many stoppages for injuries.

3 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

How would you explain NFL then ? Some really hard tackles/knocks but not too many stoppages for injuries.

I guess traditionally macho sports tend not to idolise acting the complete fanny. See rugby and Aussie rules too. Play-acting would get a clip around the earhole.

There's a longer discussion re- NFL/rugby etc too wrt safety.  99.999% of the time someone goes down in football pretending they're seriously injured, they're not, and everyone knows it. People also generally know when someone IS seriously hurt.  Whereas every snap in NFL has the potential for broken bones, so every person who stays down must be taken seriously. If people were staying down in NFL pretending to be injured when they're not then it wouldn't be tolerated by anyone on or off the field. So the safety dynamic between the 2 sports is different.

Yep it's simply that the women's game is further behind the men's in development. Eventually diving and feigning injury etc will creep it's way in as it has in the men's game

I've always said the answer for football is just to let the physio on as the game continues. 

Players wouldn't feign injury because they'd be out of the game. The ref would still have the option to stop the game if it was clear the injury was serious or a head injury.

I think it's safer. There's no delay to physios getting on and the game isn't disrupted by fake injuries.

Yeah you'd occasionally get a situation where a team is disadvantaged because of an injury. Tough shit. It happens in other sports. You have to deal with it.

Same with subs by the way. Why does it have to be an event where the game stops and players trudge off to standing ovations? Clock keeps going, game keeps going. if you want to make a sub then it happens as the game carries on. Sub can't come on until the player coming off leaves the field.
They'd soon be running off the pitch then

• Like 1

Â