U23 Development League 2020/2021

BOF

On 15/01/2021 at 18:52, BOF said:

One thing I took from the Liverpool game was their pronunciation of Chrisene. I would've thought it was Chriseen. They said Chrisaynay. O...k...

Yes, that's right (at least that's the pronunciation used by the Exeter manager when referring to him)

• Like 1

On 15/01/2021 at 18:50, OutByEaster? said:

Kesler definitely - I'm still not sure if Chrisene is just filling in at left back, he played in midfield before he came here and started in midfield for us at the start of the season with the U18's.

Chrisene definitely a centre midfielder when breaking into the Exeter first team squad as a 15 year old. That's where he came on when I saw him at St Andrews (!) at the start of last season as a late sub in the League Cup (against Coventry). His later sub appearances for the first team were usually replacing strikers or a winger when we were winning and running the clock down. His five first team appearances were laying down a marker , rather than trying to win games as they only amounted to about 25 minutes in total.

Interesting choice to use him at left back or, as in the Liverpool FA Cup game, as wide left in a 4-5-1. I thought of him as right, rather than left, footed - but it may be he is quite comfortable using either!  Not sure whether this is a development lesson/exercise or a long term plan!

• Like 3

Today's results updated. Fulham move up into 3rd. Leeds extend their advantage and 2nd placed Wolves are held by lowly Burnley.

Burnley 0-0 Wolves
Leeds 1-0 Stoke
C.Palace 2-3 Fulham

• Like 2

Leeds played Kalvin Phillips, Helder Costa, Tyler Roberts, Diego Llorente and Ian Poveda today.

There are two things about that; firstly, given that they're in the Premier league with a manager who is known for keeping and then burning out a small squad, I'm not sure it's sensible to play half of your first team in the U23's, and secondly that Ian is a great name for a Colombian winger.

Kevin Wimmer played for Stoke - which I'm guessing makes this the first PL2 game in which both sides fielded a player they'd signed for £18m.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SirSteveUK said:

@BOF I've seen 23/4 as a birthday for Ruben Shakpoke - and when we signed him in Oct 2020, he was supposed to be 16. Wouldnt that mean he was still 16 - too young for a pro contract ??

He had a birthday a few days back so it would seem he turned 17 very recently. The various different online resources are notoriously unreliable and contradictory when it comes to kids' dates of birth, and it seems with him they've got it wrong.  transfermarkt has it 23/4 and fmtransferupdate has it 7/4 for example.

I don;'t think we're going to get much in terms of coverage for tonight's game - it doesn't look like Norwich are dong anything unfortunately.

Be interesting to see if there's anyone in midfield omitted given that we're a bit thin for the first team.

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don;'t think we're going to get much in terms of coverage for tonight's game - it doesn't look like Norwich are dong anything unfortunately.

Be interesting to see if there's anyone in midfield omitted given that we're a bit thin for the first team.

disapprove the tonight show GIF

Pretty strong line up - not quite sure on where Kesler lines up.

Returns for Walker (presumably at rb) and Onodi.

I'll wildly guess at:

---------------------------------Onodi------------------------------------

Walker-----------Sylla--------------Bridge-----------Chrisene

--------------------------------Bogarde---------------------------------

Kesler------------Ramsey-----------Sohna-----------------Farr

----------------------------------Barry------------------------------------

Good to see Seb Revan back on the bench - Chukwuemeka is on there too, I wonder if he's a recovering from CV one.