U23 Development League 2020/2021

BOF

32 minutes ago, TRO said:

I know very little about the Under 23's.

We supposedly have some very promising kids.....but they seem to be losing a lot?

are they age disadvantaged with the other teams? can someone fill me in?

as afar as i can see, in the u23s we are generally playing 17-19 year olds, where other clubs play older players and some senior players as rules allow, basically what we used to do. (where Deano/Harrison said if they are 21 and playing u23s, they have effectively failed - aka O'Hare, as if they are 21 they should be in our first team, on loan or released, they said we wouldnt be playing 21 year olds etc in the u23s in the future as we develop our youth team - generally speaking, aka: we will use our u23 to develop our youth, not play a bunch of 21 year olds)

I think the answer is we are putting younger players against usually older players (or at least other u23 teams that have a higher % of older players), basically assisting their development.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Thanks 1

very impressed with the whole team versus Liverpool, but the key thoughts i had were:

Rowe - he's 21 now, so its not like he is an u18 or even a young u23, he did really well i thought, would be interesting to see if he could replace Taylor as Targetts challenger/deputy next season, would mean thats one squad position we dont need to urgently invest in (this summer), allowing us to spend any money we have in other, more urgent area's. (Taylor out)

kesler  - looked good, hopefully he can step up next season to be Cash's deputy, another squad slot we dont need to worry about immediately. (Elmo/Guilbert out)

Sylla - he's 17 i think (18 at the end of Jan), he's a real physical specimen for his age, he also covered some ground and made himself busy, i would look to loan him out to a championship club for a season, ensure he gets game time and see how he develops.

Barry - he did great, it was a true clinical finish beyond his years, but also lets not get carried away with the hype, personally i think another 12 months of development and bulking out would do him good, personally i would loan him out for 1 season, to a champ club with some guaranteed "adult" experience, then on his return look to integrate him in to the squad if he does well. (he would still only be 18 after a full season in the champ next season - turning 19 during the 22/23 season build up, where we could look to integrate him in to the senior squad?)

I'm torn with Barry, part of me would like to see him integrated in to the senior squad next year, but im not sure if thats just too soon, regardless of apparent talent, sometime slowly does it is better.

Onodi - really impressive first performance, he's 20, i wonder if he would benefit from a loan for development?

I also think players like Revan (20), Jake Walker (20), Mungo Bridge (20) need to go out on loan next season, they are too old to be in our youth system (soon), and we need to see if they develop with a good full season loan in the mens game.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Onodi - really impressive first performance, he's 20, i wonder if he would benefit from a loan for development?

He's No. 2 GK in the Academy - and we have 2 more following him - so you may be right.  Our best young GK is Viljami Sinisalo - on loan at Ayr Utd.  Onl;u 19 - and already 6'3"

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

very impressed with the whole team versus Liverpool, but the key thoughts i had were:

Rowe - he's 21 now, so its not like he is an u18 or even a young u23, he did really well i thought, would be interesting to see if he could replace Taylor as Targetts challenger/deputy next season, would mean thats one squad position we dont need to urgently invest in (this summer), allowing us to spend any money we have in other, more urgent area's. (Taylor out)

I thought Rowe was very impressive with his anticipation and his passing, not comparing but 20 years ago or so Villa had a simiar left back with similar technique and anticipation but was needed more in midfield. He won a few league titles and about 50 England caps🤔

It's amazing really because the reality is probably over half of that squad last night won't even be footballers by the age of 23.

Two or three might make it in the Premier League but that's probably it. Simply the law of averages. 

Many have had one of the best day's of their lives.

I think it was Shakpoke's birthday yesterday, either that or it's today. It's on his instagram.

Hasn't really got going yet, think he's been injured, hopefully can get fit for the second part of the season.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, useless said:

I think it was Shakpoke's birthday yesterday, either that or it's today. It's on his instagram.

Hasn't really got going yet, think he's been injured, hopefully can get fit for the second part of the season.

Has he played for us yet?

Not strictly for in here but the youth cup has been suspended until further notice because of a lack of corner flags. Nah just kidding, for obvious reasons.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BOF said:

Not strictly for in here but the youth cup has been suspended until further notice because of a lack of corner flags. Nah just kidding, for obvious reasons.

Ah balls, it's probably our best chance of doing well in it for a decade. :(

I'd sooner they'd suspended the league and kept the Youth Cup. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Ah balls, it's probably our best chance of doing well in it for a decade. :(

I'd sooner they'd suspended the league and kept the Youth Cup. 

And watch our Champions League ambitions go up in smoke?

I've got a horrible feeling that having constructed our most exciting group of youngsters in years, and having then introduced them to the world on live TV in the FA Cup against the Champions of England, we might be about to see the mothballing of all U18 and U23 football in the country for a month or two.

Bugger.