What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

Well if Masterchef has taught me anything, it's that a raspberry coulis always goes down a treat. That'd be a passable ketchup.

Edit : And thanks google, cuz that's not how I'd have spelt coulis...

• Like 1

I made this at the weekend (it's a cake by the way...)

huvu.jpg

Looks good stevo if you did indeed do it .....but have you any buttercream/cream or jam in it ? is the chocolate sponge a nice moist brownie consistency ? If not that cake will be hard to digest been so dry 

"If you did indeed do it"

you cheeky sod :D

Of course I did it!

There's a layer of vanilla frosting between the bottom two layers and chocolate fudge frosting between the top two layers. It was really moist, actually moister than I expected it to be, which was pleasant.

Again, all that icing is all round the edge. There's nothing in the middle. The two top layers of sponge are just separated by frosting so none of the dryness of the icing is in the actual cake.

My only concern is I'll probably be making it on Saturday and it won't be eaten until Monday, so I'm a bit worried it'll dry out in those 2 days.

• 4 weeks later...

I made fondant potatoes the other day, nearly setting the house on fire in the process.

Can I ask, after browning on both ends, and adding the stock, do you just leave them to cook on the one side? It seems a bit counter-intuitive because the stock doesn't cover the whole potato.

Oh you do do you? That stuff that's dearer than gold by weight. Yeah. Spare change mister? :P

I brought a huge bag of it back from Egypt having bartered my way to a halfprice deal. It was only when I started using it that I realised i'd been ripped off, it was about as potent as Aston Villa's attacking threat.

Edited by Shillzz

Oh you do do you? That stuff that's dearer than gold by weight. Yeah. Spare change mister? :P

We had quite a sizable bag of saffron in the cupboard which my mum just decided to throw out one day. Madness!

It does go off or lose its flavour quite quickly though, so if you keep it, it becomes completely irrelevant to the dish other than as a bit of colouring. Which is why when you buy it in those Schwarz bottles (if you were stupid enough to pay that money ...) it comes within a sealed bag inside the bottle.

Â