What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

I made a vegetarian curry last night with homegrown, onion, tomato, butternut squash, potato, green beans and chilli pepper. The only ingredients I didn't grow myself were the garlic, the spices, seasoning and the rice. 

The curry was delicious, probably due to the freshness and quality of the ingredients, but the satisfaction I got from that meals was more than any other ever I think. My first year of properly growing my own veg. 

new vegetable? Is it tasty?

Caul. Absolute nightmare to find, none of my local butchers can get it for me. I live in St Albans but get it from Birmingham indoor markets when I'm up.

This link is several years old, but may be worth checking for mail order.

Also worth asking at local abattoirs, though they won't be used to selling to the public.  Or any farm which is proud enough of their meat to sell it in their own farm shop and labelled as such - they will have the animals butchered to instruction, and returned, so they can very easily ask for things like caul fat and pigs heads, which will otherwise be chucked away. 

I'd have thought the local butchers would be able to get it if they could be arsed.  Mine certainly can, though they clearly think it's a bit outlandish and look at you as though you're wearing a diving suit and tutu.  (I wasn't, at that point at least).

Failing that, if you're a regular at any creative restaurant, ask the chef where they would go for it, or if they could ask their suppliers.

• 4 weeks later...

So I've been brought a leg of "Reestit Mutton".  Mutton, brined, hung in rafters to dry and smoke.  From Shetland - their signature food.  At first I thought it was like a northern Parma ham, but it's not cured through for nearly as long, and they don't slice it thinly and eat raw (though I suppose I could try), but make a broth from it and eat the meat separately.

I think I shall bring it to the boil, change the water, simmer gently for a couple of hours, use the stock for soups and braise the meat in some even slower-cooked dish.  Maybe even a curry.  Any better suggestions out there?

Sorry about the photo.  It's from a phone.

IMAG0127_zps91043386.jpg

Martin Wishart makes Reestit Mutton soup for Michel Roux.   One of the very best Scottish chefs.  Ate at his place once, will do so again when I win the lottery.  I was bemused by the variety of dishes we were served, and asked how many chefs they had on duty.  Turned out it was more chefs than diners.  Nice to know the lad can still appreciate peasant cuisine, despite his success.

I get the soup.  What I don't get is that the meat seems to be almost a by-product, not the centrepiece.  Wishart says serve it cold.  Other sources say serve it with bannocks, which are like a roll for non-Scots.  I was expecting a long, slow, gently bubbling treatment, ending up with some unctuous, glutinous meat that dissolves in your mouth, not a **** mutton roll.

I shall abandon tradition and go with my instincts.

Â