Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

Will Murray be seeded 1 for Wimbledon?

Nope it be his ranking I believe. My calculations make him 5 and if he beats Nadal he will be 4. If Nadal loses the semi or the final then Djokovic will be seeded 1 at Wimbeledon

Apparently Wimbledon have the right to up his seeding based on his performances on grass over past 2 years meaning he may well be seeded as 4 even if he loses to Nadal

yeah think Djoko has him this year, playing better especially his defence and sliding more. Add to that Nadal not in same form he was last year. Finally chances of wet conditions on Sunday favour Djoko. I remember 2012 when Djoko won 9 games in a row before match was postponed till Monday. 

Yeah if they hadn't have gone off for rain and started again next day then who knows... Nadal always starts the quicker....Last year Djokovic was 4-3 with a  break in the final set and played a winner and followed into the net so the point was given to Nadal. But for that Djokovic would have beaten him. I think Djokovic has added a bit to his game since last year and the way he destroyed Nadal in the final 2 sets in Rome on clay just makes me think if he plays his best there's nothing Nadal can do to beat him.

Murray on Clay after he had two five set matches in the tournament means nothing losing in straight sets to Nadal. The key is of the rain comes and we have cooler damper conditions, they will favour Djoko. As will the fact he's won their last 4 meetings and is playing well himself. Nadal has had luck on his side in the last 3 years. 2011 Federer played one of his best ever matches and dumped an on fire Djoko out in semis, in 2012 the conditions had gone to suit Djoko and he was on fire about to level at 2-2 in sets when it was postponed to Monday due to rain. Then last year when conditions suited Rafa Djoko had it won but for the net. 

I find it hard to split them on Sunday and conditions would be the decider for me. Cooler damper conditions Djoko has it, conditions like today and Rafa will win. Can't wait. 

Not so confident about Djokovic now but its totally different match-up to Murray v Nadal. Djokovic won't let him bully him and will return a lot better than Murray did. He will hit a lot more back hands down the line. Djokovic has bossed Nadal lately so who knows... We shouldn't be fooled by Murray's battering because despite the media building Murray up hes not very good on clay.

Edited by PaulC

Yep no doubt he is the greatest player ever on clay and his record at RG is unbelievable. 8 tournament wins but the only player than has taken him close apart from that one defeat in 2009, is in the final with him and if he plays his best tennis then it will be an epic.

Unless I am mistaken Rafa Nadal's record at the French Open reads like this:   Played 66 Won 65 Lost 1. 

Yes, but in the past 3 years when Djoko really emerged (post gluton free diet) he's faced him twice in Paris and should have lost last year and was saved by rain delaying till (a very hot) Monday the year before. 

Tomorrow is going to be sun and showers, cooler conditions which are exactly what Djoko wants. Plus he's won last 4 meetings with Rafa including on clay in Rome last month.

Yeah, it's probably a 50/50 game and yes, Djok has won four in a row against Nadal but how much does that actually mean? Before the four in a row for Djok, Nadal had won six out of seven.  

Yeah, it's probably a 50/50 game and yes, Djok has won four in a row against Nadal but how much does that actually mean? Before the four in a row for Djok, Nadal had won six out of seven.  

yes and before then Djokovic had won 7 in a row. Not sure how much the 4 in a row means. Maybe it gives him the psychological edge especially most of those matches were very one sided but there again it is Roland Garros so that gives Nadal the edge....

Â