Do you read?

Luke_W

Just started The Border Trilogy by Cormac McCarthy.

Loved No Country For Old Men (the only other book of his I've read) so looking forward to more of the same form this.

Anyone else read Border? Thoughts?

Just started The Border Trilogy by Cormac McCarthy.

Loved No Country For Old Men (the only other book of his I've read) so looking forward to more of the same form this.

Anyone else read Border? Thoughts?

Yep. Loved it. Although my fave CMC is probably "Blood Meridian".

Might give that a look after this then (actually, After "Nobody Ever Says Thankyou" which is also on my list)

On a book related note, the price of "ebooks" pisses me off.

My dad wanted the Game Of Thrones books (all of them) for xmas. The physical books from Amazon were £21, so I just got him a £20 Amazon voucher, assuming they'd be less for him to download onto his kindle.

They're £29 on the Kindle. What the ****? How can they justify a digital copy being so much more (or more at all) than a physical copy?

Edited by Stevo985

Just finished

41wJPmGfHlL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

When junior manager Frank Dominio is suddenly demoted and then sacked it seems there was more than a grain of truth to his persecution fantasies. But as he prepares to even the score with those responsible for his demise, he unwittingly finds an ally in a dark and malevolent force that grants him supernatural powers. Frank takes his revenge in the most ghastly ways imaginable - but there will be a terrible price to pay once his work is done.

Destined to be a cult classic, this tale of corporate horror and demonic retribution will strike a chord with anyone who has ever been disgruntled at work.

Good book, I can definitely see where the comparisons to E.A. Poe and H.P. Lovecraft (more so the Lovecraftian twist than the style of Poe)

The thing that is good about the book is that it isn't overly violent or gory, it is merely implied and your own imagination has to do the rest with it and it works really well.

now I am going to start

41mT7zZMW2L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Thomas Ligotti is often cited as the most curious and remarkable figure in horror literature since H. P. Lovecraft. His work is noted by critics for its display of an exceptionally grotesque imagination and accomplished prose style. In his stories, Ligotti has followed a literary tradition that began with Edgar Allan Poe, portraying characters that are outside of anything that might be called normal life, depicting strange locales far off the beaten track, and rendering a grim vision of human existence as a perpetual nightmare. The stories collected in Teatro Grottesco feature tormented individuals who play out their doom in various odd little towns, as well as in dark sectors frequented by sinister and often blackly comical eccentrics. The cycle of narratives introduce readers to a freakish community of artists who encounter demonic perils that ultimately engulf their lives.

Currently reading Dirty Snow by Georges Simenon a noir of sorts set in occupied France. Nonstop depravity so far but very engaging. Will check out his Inspector Maigret books after this, writes very well captures the spirit terrifically

• 2 weeks later...

I sorted out my book case the other day cuz it was looking a real mess, I put it into a vague sort of order I didn't go as far as to alphabetize them or anything I just grouped them together by authors.

I did it because I knew I was missing an absolute **** load of books that I had lent out to people at work so I txt everyone telling them I wanted them back off them

so far I have reclaimed 15 books.

I think its pretty bad the way that people dont have any respect for books, they just assume that once you have read it once then you dont give a shit about it any more, I dont know if I am a rare breed of person that will actually go back and re-read a book but I was quite amazed at how easily everyone put there hands on them when I asked but never thought to just return them without being prompted.

I have got another 15/20 books to come back but the one that I really want has vanished, I remember who I lent it to because I warned them that I wanted them to take care of it because that book was pretty special to me and I wouldn't be able to replace it (even if I went out and got another copy of it) and she is denying all knowledge of it and is saying that she has her own copy of it so she would never have borrowed it off me in the first place.

To be honest its not as if I bring them into work especially to lend them out to a specific person, its more of a case that I will finish a book when I'm on my lunch or something and someone will enquire about it and then ask to borrow it. Its not as if they have stole them and never had any intentions of returning them just more of a case that they just forgot and never thought about it, half the time they dont even get past the fourth chapter anyway.

Give them a **** twilight or 50 shades of grey book and they are finished within days though such is the duality of the modern day bint though I suppose

I'm pissed off about the one book that I cant replace though because I know that I lent the book to her and I actually trusted that she would look after it and return it, I recon she has either lost it or destroyed somehow and wont own up to it because she thinks I will go ape shit at her so she is just denying all knowledge of it.

ordered this the other day

its supposed to be pretty **** up

41wMkyRA7ML._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Damon is a novel, written by Charles Terry Cline, Jr.,[1] about a four year old boy named Damon who begins to rapidly develop sexually into the equivalent of a full grown man. While still in the body of a four year old boy, excepting his genitalia, he quickly becomes a predator to every female that comes within his grasp: his playmates, his nurse, and even his own mother. At the same time he exhibits immensely bizarre psychological abilities including some of the seemingly super-natural variety, such as telepathy and remote viewing. In one instance, he uses his remote viewing ability to watch a rescue group discover the body of a neighboring young girl he violently raped and left to die. The question for the protagonist doctor working closely on the case becomes, is Damon possessed by the mind of a sexual psychopath? Or is his body simply the victim of a logical but strange, purely physical malady?

I'm pissed off about the one book that I cant replace

What is it? Did you look on abebooks? There's hardly anything that can't be replaced - I've had to rebuy books before when people I lent them to lost them. Mostly they deny ever having them, and maybe they place such low value on them they genuinely forget.

What is it? Did you look on abebooks? There's hardly anything that can't be replaced - I've had to rebuy books before when people I lent them to lost them. Mostly they deny ever having them, and maybe they place such low value on them they genuinely forget.

Nah it is that specific book that couldn't be replaced, someone bought it for me and it had a message wrote inside the cover, its silly I know but its one of them little things that I would have liked to have held onto

Just picked this up myself. As soon as I read the Lovecraft comparisons I was sold.

Yeah you can definitely see where the comparisons come from, I thought his first book ''my work is not yet done'' was great, a few Clive Barker type moments in it as well

I have read the first 2 or 3 stories from Teatro Grottesco and they are pretty good, really **** strange the second one is (the one about the town manager)

Â