Do you read?

Luke_W

Don't even know what EWR is (although I assume the "W" stands for "wrestling"). **** joke excuse for a "sport"

That's American Football you're thinking of.

The only reason you don't like it is because you don't understand it <_<

• 3 weeks later...

Just started 'ready player one'. I have to say I'm not impressed at all so far. The protagonist seems like a whiny brat who it seems we are expected to have sympathy for because everybody else in his world is completely awful for no discernable reason other than to garner sympathy for him.

Then there are the endless references to 80s culture. Is this just a cheap way of scoring brownie points with the target audience? I was born in the (late) 70s so I grew up in the 80s. Yes I like Star Wars, Pac Man, Pitfall and the Atari 2600. I don't need to see an endless list of these things mentioned by name to set up a believable world, I'd much prefer characters with a bit of depth and clear motivations populating it instead.

Maybe I need to give it more of a chance before I dismiss it as shit, I'm only three chapters in, but for such a well reviewed book which should really be right up my street I'm surprised I've had such an initial negative reaction to it.

• Like 2

It's shite. All it did was remind me how much much I like Monty Python.

I'm reading, well rereading, 'At Swim-Two Birds'. It's **** mad, and absolutely hilarious, with possibly the greatest two lines in literature: "There is nothing so important as the legs in determining the kangaroolity of a woman. Is there for example fur on your wife's legs, Sir?"

I don't think there is any debate about it, is there?  Stalingrad is what broke the Nazi war machine. The West like to think they won the war with D-Day, but Russia were the ones who defeated Germany.  Nobody knows the exact figures, but Germany suffered about as many casualties in that one battle as the combined total of the UK and USA lost during the entire war. 

Edited by The_Rev

not sure if i'm allowed to do this so if it needs to be removed then mods can do so

Can't speak for the mods, obviously, but I can't see why you shouldn't give your old man's book a plug!

Sounds like an interesting read, Oliver.

I guess you're not Annabel. :)

p.s. On my reading habits, I had an hour or two spare the other week and reread Zadig.

p.p.s. It was a translation - ref. discussions below. I only ever read Candide in the french (Obviously a much later edition of Voltaire's original so that may actually be as far from that original as a translation?).

never saw this so didnt respond sorry, yeah i am Olly and when you knew my name i freaked out thought you knew him haha, im guessing you read his about me page? The book is also on iBooks now and he's looking to get it featured and reveiwed in an upcoming issue on the National Geographic, obviously its a niche genre but i'm pleased for what he's managed to acheive with it already

not sure if i'm allowed to do this so if it needs to be removed then mods can do so

my dad has just released his first book on amazon, it's a non-fictional book exploring the idea that earthquakes and earth tremors are intrinsically linked with human riots and differing behaviour on a mass level. i think it's a pretty out there idea but it's a very well written and thoroughly researched book so if this sort of thing interests any of you then have a quick look at the link if you have time and see what you think :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alan-Watson/e/B00E46T98U/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0

Does your dad write about the moon in his book? I reckon the moon has a lot to answer for.

he's got a lot of theories about the moon and it's links as well but i think this mainly focuses on the time span between significant riots and significant earth tremors, it does make a lot of sense to me after reading a lot of it but its a very far out idea

It's shite. All it did was remind me how much much I like Monty Python.

I'm reading, well rereading, 'At Swim-Two Birds'. It's **** mad, and absolutely hilarious, with possibly the greatest two lines in literature: "There is nothing so important as the legs in determining the kangaroolity of a woman. Is there for example fur on your wife's legs, Sir?"

As it happens, I'm on that at the moment too. Fairly unlikely, given its relative obscurity.

Kelly then made a low noise and opened his mouth, and covered the small man from shoulder to knee with a coating of unpleasant buff coloured puke.

I rather like the implication that some puke is neither unpleasant nor buff coloured.

• Like 1

It is endlessly quotable. Also, don't forget, a pint of plain is your only man.

I need a new book. Thinking of the new Pynchon but I'm not sure. Heard good things about both 'Stoner' and 'Under the Volcano'. Frankly, there are too many books.

I'm very wary about the new Pynchon after "Inherent Vice", which was, frankly, crap. I gave up before the end, which is rare for me.

And I speak as a huge fan of much of his work.

• Like 1

Â