Virgin media - online gaming

kurtsimonw

Not sure if this is the right place... 

My parents have Virgin media Internet, and it was atrocious online, despite the well over 100mb speeds. 

My brother had 30mb or so Sky and never had issues. 

I've recently had Virgin installed at my place and it's really unplayable for the most part. Does anyone know how to improve this or if certain Internet isn't designed for gaming or something? I just assumed it was to do with speed and that was that. 

On 28/08/2019 at 08:51, wilko154 said:

Have you tried a wired connection?

I have Virgin and my connection was good online but since switching from wireless to wired it's now perfect.

It was terrible wired at my parents place, but I've got a shorter/better ethernet coming today so I'll see if that does make a difference.

On 29/08/2019 at 13:40, kurtsimonw said:

It was terrible wired at my parents place, but I've got a shorter/better ethernet coming today so I'll see if that does make a difference.

I'm interested in this.  

I actually cancelled Virgin on Thursday because prices keep going up and we only have basic TV (never watch really), a phone that hasn't worked for 3 months despite 2 engineers temporarily fixing it and 100mbps broadband.

I assume it's working normally, but some games I play (Apex/Battlefield) can feel so bad sometimes - but I've always assumed that's out of region players with bad pings, compared to mine, which is usually 20-40 for servers in the UK.

39 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I'm interested in this.  

I actually cancelled Virgin on Thursday because prices keep going up and we only have basic TV (never watch really), a phone that hasn't worked for 3 months despite 2 engineers temporarily fixing it and 100mbps broadband.

I assume it's working normally, but some games I play (Apex/Battlefield) can feel so bad sometimes - but I've always assumed that's out of region players with bad pings, compared to mine, which is usually 20-40 for servers in the UK.

I'd say wired helped a little. Though I'm still getting a bit of lag. Apparently using a monitor over a TV can help with input lag, so I might try that.

It's odd though as I rarely had trouble until I moved to Virgin.

Funny story about Virgin broadband. Went down the other day, flashing light, no internet. Went into the app and it has a clever diagnostic tool to find errors. It asks a couple of questions then tests the line/network. One of the questions was about the light on the box which I selected was flashing. It ran its little test and came back "the box is not turned on check plug and switch". FFS 😂

Called them up, lady said box was faulty and an engineer would come out in 3 days.

1 hour later we see a virgin van in the street at the cabinet. 20 minutes later it's back on.

They are useless.

11 hours ago, Genie said:

Funny story about Virgin broadband. Went down the other day, flashing light, no internet. Went into the app and it has a clever diagnostic tool to find errors. It asks a couple of questions then tests the line/network. One of the questions was about the light on the box which I selected was flashing. It ran its little test and came back "the box is not turned on check plug and switch". FFS 😂

Called them up, lady said box was faulty and an engineer would come out in 3 days.

1 hour later we see a virgin van in the street at the cabinet. 20 minutes later it's back on.

They are useless.

I've cancelled my contract with them and are joining evil sky. 

I've had to call them up 3 times in 6 months because my internet speeds were about 12-20 mbps, after the second and third calls they magically fixed it over the phone. 

The first time I rang, they couldn't, so they sent an engineer out to look.  Turned out when they installed it, their engineer put a **** staple through the cable to fit it to the skirting board, and over time it loses speed.. 

My phone hasn't worked for 6 months, despite calling up twice.  They've told me they will give us "credits", which we've never seen. 

All for £52 a month (basic everything).

I'll be paying £39 a month with sky, getting sky atlantic and stuff, which I'll never watch, but at least it's not Virgin.

Which is a shame because generally, my experience with them in the past hasn't been terrible, but since moving house 3 years ago they just haven't provided the same service. 

3 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I've cancelled my contract with them and are joining evil sky. 

I've had to call them up 3 times in 6 months because my internet speeds were about 12-20 mbps, after the second and third calls they magically fixed it over the phone. 

The first time I rang, they couldn't, so they sent an engineer out to look.  Turned out when they installed it, their engineer put a **** staple through the cable to fit it to the skirting board, and over time it loses speed.. 

My phone hasn't worked for 6 months, despite calling up twice.  They've told me they will give us "credits", which we've never seen. 

All for £52 a month (basic everything).

I'll be paying £39 a month with sky, getting sky atlantic and stuff, which I'll never watch, but at least it's not Virgin.

Which is a shame because generally, my experience with them in the past hasn't been terrible, but since moving house 3 years ago they just haven't provided the same service. 

I'd go back to Sky, but don't want a dish on my house. I'll wait until they offer full service via cable (not Now TV).

I’ve never really had a problem.

i say ‘really’, because my phone stopped working for ages, but I never used it and couldngbe bothered with an engineer to come fix it.

eventually i called one in, and he fixed it.

ive got 500Mb, which runs at 500Mb.

Never an issue.

I've bought a much shorter ethernet cable, which seem to have helped a lot. It now runs pretty great for the most part.

@lapal_fan My dad cancelled Virgin yesterday and joined Sky too. He had an offer for £25.00 internet I believe, and was repeatedly being charged £38. He'd call every time and they said it would change,  but he kept getting charged. What annoys him most was that not one single person apologised for the error over the 6 months. He ended up joining Sky with all tv and internet for about £65 - Virgin wanted over £130! When he said he was leaving, they then offered it him for £80. Absolutely shocking that they don't just give you the better rate until you kick up such a fuss, especially at that difference.

• Like 1

Â