Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

Leon scored an hat-trick last night and won player of the match as Canada beat Paraguay 4-0 to reach th Quarter-Finals of the The CONCACAF W Gold Cup, she's top scorer as it stands with five goals.

It means she's gong to miss the Liverpool game next weeked, and possibly our semi-final against Arsenal

I've seen some tweets suggesting she would have missed Liverpool anyway as is due a one game suspension after picking up five yellow cards, now it's just a quesiton of whether she will still be allowed to use that game to serve her suspension or whether because she's now going to miss it anyway they will make her serve her suspension in the following game against Arsenal or if it has to be a WSL match then Everton

• Like 2

Already 2-0 down against Liverpool. Both goals really sloppy.

We are just so poor in defence. It's hard to compete when you give away soft goal after soft goal.

Edited by Villanbee

One back. Good, well-earned penalty.

We look decent going forward, even without Daly, but often the final ball is lacking. I think attack has to be our best form of defence!

Edited by Villanbee

2 poor goals to concede, other than that not much in it - although it’s not been great football.  Hansen looking our most dangerous, would say we miss Leon more than Daly at moment - her drive and attitude makes things happen. Plus our midfield is so unbalanced and out of form.

Not a big fan of magill as focal point (granted don’t have many options) surely Salmon or Mullett would have been better.

better final ball (as said above) and a bit more fight/passion and we can get something out of it (although why oh why are we so bad here, surely it’s time to reasses our home ground)

Odds were always stacked against us for this game, our record at Bescot is diabolical, including today we've only got two more games left there this season, if we win either one it will be the first time we've won there more than once in the league in a season, the team we're able to put out doesn't exactly help us either, without our two best attackers this season, Daly, and Leon, and the other long-term injuries aren't exactly helping our cause either, Turner, Parker, Staniforth, we're essentially missing five players that if availabe would be starting for us

That said, I missed the first twenty minutes, but from I saw I thought we played okay, very poor goal to give away for Liverpool's second, but didn't look like a 2-0 game, brilliant play from Hanson to win the penalty, she looks back to her best

Now 3-1 to Liverpool, we actually started the second half really well, but too wasteful, too many of our attacks breaking down with Magill and Lehmann, too late now, but I think they should have been replaced with Mullett and Salmon. We've missed Daly and Leon big time, but always going to struggle conceding the amount of goals we do

Have to see it again, because one camera doesn't help. But it looked like Pacheco was tracking back through the middle with no Liverpool player around her whilst the wider Liverpool player was unmarked and scored. Did I miss anything?

Well taken goal but again basic defence errors?

Didn't Liverpool only get promoted this season?

Worrying they've immediately overtaken us. 

Think lehmans been made a bit of a scapegoat there - Dali/Nobbs been less effective and most wasteful - putting turner on and moving mayling to RW is a weird decision.  

I can’t even remember either keeper making a save after 70mins, that’s says more than anything else.

Injuries/suspensions aside, it’s not been anywhere near good enough

Edited by MattVillaPortsmouth

Liverpool looked much more organised than us. They defended well when they needed to and did the basics well.

Coaching. And not just at the back. Look at their first goal from the free kick.

My main concern is that our major defensive issues haven't been addressed.  All season, we've been a shambles at the back. Our injuries didn't really affect our back line today.

Ward has just been nominated as manager of the month for February, and we had only lost one of the previous five, our form since the first five games has been pretty good, unless she leaves of her own accord she's not in danger of losing her job, or at least I would highly doubt it

Today's result doesn't surprise me for reasons given above, atrocious record at Bescot, and the amount of players we have out, we have a very small squad as it is, so to be without Turner, Parker, Staniforth, Leon, and Daly, puts us in an almost impossible situation, that's five of our best players, and losing another one of our best players in the transfer window without being able to replace her doesn't help matters either

I wasn't expecting us to lose by such a big scoreline, I thought we could at least keep it tight, and was just hoping with some luck we could snatch a draw or a narrow victory

I think Lehmann is often unfairly maligned, she's improved a lot since signing for us and she wasn't bad to begin with, and whilst not as good invidually as Hanson or Leon, it seems to me we often play better as a team when she's playing, but today she wasn't her usual self, or at least not when I made that comment, I turned off when Liverpool scored their third, so no idea how she did after that, I think Magill also is a lot better than she showed, we signed her as a striker, but from what I've seen looks much better as a hard working wide forward

My comment amount Lehman was aimed at being subbed, not your comment - I see no reason why salmon didn’t replace, why it was turned.

Just about agree with rest of what you said, I would be happy for Ward to stay - but the club need to get behind her - a few ageing need replacing in what already is wafer thin.

Today, yep could have taken a fighting lose, spirited draw - but it was poor.

Regardless of what happens with Ward at the end of the season, it's going to be a massive summer for us, as we're going to need a lot of signings, to add to an already small squad, to replace a bunch of players we have coming to the end of their contract - I think it's more than a quarter of our squad, and Blindkilde still needs replacing, will tell us a lot of how much the club cares about the women's team, as going to need some investment

• Like 2

Unless we beat Leicester at Bescot this will be the fourth season in a row we've only won once there in the league. I've just seen someone on twitter who's nornally quite well informed mention in passing that it's our last game there before moving, so will be interesting to see what happens on that score

Edited by useless

47 minutes ago, useless said:

Regardless of what happens with Ward at the end of the season, it's going to be a massive summer for us, as we're going to need a lot of signings, to add to an already small squad, to replace a bunch of players we have coming to the end of their contract - I think it's more than a quarter of our squad, and Blindkilde still needs replacing, will tell us a lot of how much the club cares about the women's team, as going to need some investment

I think you've hit the nail on the head with that last bit. I've always believed that unless the long term goal is to compete, within a set period of time, with your Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City then it's all a bit pointless. I don't want us to be the WSL version of Crystal Palace!

Last season was exciting. I felt we were building something for the future. Like the men's team.  That's why the regression this year has been so disappointing. I know we had a good run recently, but it was all against other poor teams. The run has ended as soon as we've come up against a decent side. And, let's be honest, we've been given a hiding

Looking at the defence especially, are the players just not good enough? Because if they are good enough, then it has to be the coaching under scrutiny.

Carla is not the only coach at the club.

I don't think we have the budget for a needed overhaul. The January window told us everything we needed to know quite honestly. 

• Like 1

Â