Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

9 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

New manager needed

It's all about the manager, although I have no doubt Carla Ward is a half decent coach, it's just we seem to have the weakest menatality in the league, an she has no idea how to change it. The amount of games we have lost in the 2nd half proves it.

I wouldn't mind, but we have a bloody good team looking at the most of the others in the league.

I'm not overly bothered about going out of the FA Cup we weren't going to win it anyway, was yet another year where we had an horrible game to start with, this is Everton's fifth away win in a row against us, they're our bogey team at home, and we're obvously poor at the Bescot in general.

What was more worrying was the performance itself, which was pretty atrocious to the say the least, players making basic error after basic error, people talk about the defence, but I think the midfield is a major issue, way to easy for teams to walk through us, they get the ball and it's so easy for them to transition to our eighteen yard box in no time at all, there was an element of that last season, but it didn't matter as much as it always felt like we could outscore the opposition, as we were so much better in attack and keeping the ball better in general.

A major problem also is that a lot of our players don't look anywhere near as good as they did last season, a few of the ones that are meant to be our best, look shadows of their former selves.

I think today and our season as an whole also illustrates how important Dali is to us, our form improved with her return and as she got better and better we began to look a little like our old selves, and then today, without wanting to be harsh, she didn't have the best games, and no surprise we play poorly as a team,

Before today we had won six of the last eight, and had won three of the last five in the league, one of the two defeats came against a Man City team that had just beat Man Utd and put seven goals past Spurs, so I don't think it's all doom and gloom, if we can get back to something like the form we were showing in November and December, then it's still possible for us to have an half decent season in the WSL

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It's all about the manager, although I have no doubt Carla Ward is a half decent coach, it's just we seem to have the weakest menatality in the league, an she has no idea how to change it. The amount of games we have lost in the 2nd half proves it.

I wouldn't mind, but we have a bloody good team looking at the most of the others in the league.

Carla Ward said it herself, she is a Manager and not a coach.  She was a useful step up for the club but seems to have stalled.  

• Like 1

Battering championship teams shouldn't be dismissed, that doesn't happen every time a WSL team plays against a Championship side, we've learned that to our own cost in the past as have other WSL teams, those are good results in of themself.

We've won three of the last five in the league, that's not grim, that is good form for any team outside the top four, and bearing in mind one of those five teams was Man City.

We weren't actually brilliant the first half of last season, in fact I think we only had three more points than we had now, but that was our best season ever.

I'm not saying it will happen, but it very much is possible for us to have an half decent season in the league

I think a lot of fans fell for media hype of us maybe getting top four, that was never realistic, I don't think the club helped in that regard, you had some players talking about top four, by all means have that as a target behind closed doors, but need to manage expectations better to the outside world, otherwise going to invite unnecessary pressure, a very very good season for us would have just been finishing fifth again, most teams who finish fifth, drop down the table the following season, so our challange was to buck that trend.

Again I'm not saying it will happen, I'm not confident at all, but I don't think it's beyond the realms of possiblity that we could still finish top six or maybe even fifth, the only thing that gives me slight hope with regards to that is that Liverpool and Spurs aren't world beaters, they're capable of going on losing runs, the WSL is a bit like the mens Championship in that sense, it can all change very quickly,

If we win next weekend and Spurs and Liverpool lose we're suddenly just three and six points behind them, with them both still to play us, it might not happen like that this weekend, point is the gap can suddenly close across the season

We play Leicester this Friday, it being away from home is probably good for us, hopefully today's dismal display makes them all the more determined to get a good result.

Never bodes well when a team is performing worse than the sum of their parts. It's like they're completely different players to last season.

I really hope she can turn this around, but it's crunch time for Ward now: Leicester is going to be a pivotal game.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Never bodes well when a team is performing worse than the sum of their parts. It's like they're completely different players to last season.

I really hope she can turn this around, but it's crunch time for Ward now: Leicester is going to be a pivotal game.

who could we get to replace her

57 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

who could we get to replace her

Suzanne Bakker, Ajax's manager is bizarrely being let go at the end of the season. WSL would be a step up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tayls said:

Is Ward on borrowed time now do we think? This season has been such a let down. 

Possibly yes.

The issue today was that all the players looked below par.

We are performing collectively and individually below the levels we are.

That's really not a good sign.

One of our U21 keepers Anna Draper played for Derby today against WSL opposition Leicester, they lost 4-0, which strange to say is actually an half respectable scoreline, given the gap between first and third tier in women's football.

She's on a dual registration so still allowed to train and play for us, and she did play for our U21s in the week, Ella Pettit, Lavarna Johnson, and Sophia Poor all seemingly injured, they lost to Sheffield United, the second time they've beat us this season, strange as they're struggling somewhat, whereas we were top of the table before the game, so overall doing quite well

Another one of our dual registration players Alice Kietly played for Forest today in their 6-1 win over Plymouth

Big game on Friday against Leicester, it's been moved from The King Power stadium, to Burton Albion's ground, whether that will be any advantage to us though I don't know, at least our away form in general is better, would be a big boost to us if we can win that and make it four wins from the last six in the league, it's kind of a must win really as after that we have Man Utd away.

The thing is, in theory we should be capable of going on a good run as other than the Man Utd game, fixtures don't look too bad for a while, of course if we play like we did yesterday then we won't be going on any runs, but have to hope that that was just us being caught short after the break, and form and we can get back to something like the form we were showing before Christmas, ideally get even better than that.

Hopefully a win against Leicester, and maybe a signing or two might give us a boost

I’m told Aston Villa’s Olivia McLoughlin could head out on loan again this month. Rangers among those interested, as well as some English Women’s Championship clubs. Believe a loan move is the preference as Villa see her as part of their future plans. #avfc

If we see her as part of her future plans we'd better offer her a new contract, because according to Olivia herself in an interview she did, she's out of contract in the summer, hopefully a new deal is part of any loan announcement, I feel like she'd unlucky not to have had more of a chance with us this season, she's been exceptional in the League Cup.

Edited by useless

I think it's better for McCloughlin to go and get minutes if she's not going to get any game time with us, but also it kind of leaves us short in midfield, especially after Parker's injury as well, Staniforth would be the only holding midfielder we have, if she got injured would have to play Corsie there. For me if we've only got financial scope to bring in one more player this window, then would make sense for the player to be someone who can play both defence and midfield.

No news of a new contract, unless we've got an option of an extra year, she said in an interview before the start of the season that this season she will be in the last year of her contract, so wants to prove that she's good enough to play in the WSL.

Seems strange to loan her out to me, we're short on numbers in midfield, we play every game with three central midfielders but now only have four midfielders in total in the squad not including Lucy Parker but she's going to miss the season, three of those four midfielders are attacking midfielers, we only have Lucy Staniforth who holds, Corsie has played as an holding midfielder at times this season but hasn't looked great, besides she's now just one of two fit central defenders.

An small squad is now even smaller, after Turner and Parker injuries and McLoughlin going out on loan we only have nineteen fit players, and one of those Freya Gregory might be going out on loan, an another is academy player Georgia Mullett

After Maritz signing, we were said to be happy, then after injuries to Turner and Parker Ward said that would mean us trying to bring in a defender, but we really could do with another midfielder as well, also bearing in mind that Staniforth and Nobbs are out of contract in the summer, so bringing in at least one midfielder now to help with depth and then to replace any departures in the summer would make sense.

Or at least sign a player that can play both central defence and midfield, in Parker and McLoughlin we've lost to players that can do that

Carla Ward saying at the press conference for Leicester game that we're looking to bring a couple in, which is good news as previously the talk was about just bringing one more defender to cover for Turner and Parker, maybe the Everton performance has spooked them into trying to do a little more.

Doesn't say much about McLoughlin, other than she likes her a lot and that the loan will be good for her development, I guess not much she can say beyond that.

Just seen that Kirsty Hanson provided more assists in the WSL in 2023 than any other player, that's despite having only one assist in the league this season. We need to get her back in the form she showed second half of last season.

Although probably worth remembering although we're nearly halfway through the season, that's only ten games, and Hanson has only played seven of those games, so it's not like she's been out of form in an attacking sense for an extended period, and I say in an attacking sense, as she's always works hard, and is good at the defensive side.

I've seen a few harsh words about Dali, I think that's unfair, she wasn't good against Everton, but other than that has been good since returning and was getting better, hopefully Everton game was just a blip, I saw a stat that despite missing half the season in the WSL so far, she's created more chances than any other player, I think that's been another problem for us we haven't been taking our chances as well this season, even Daly has been missing chances that last season she would have scored, although I'm loath to say anything negative about her, as she's still excellent for us.

Edited by useless

Â