Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

We play some nice stuff then sucker punch ourselves with a cheap turnover.

Daly doesn't get nearly enough service from out wide. She seems frustrated.

To me, it's almost like when the men's team were struggling and we had Benteke. By hook or by crook, get the ball to the in form centre forward.

It's still not right. It's a shame because Man City didn't look all that special.

2 hours ago, Villanbee said:

We play some nice stuff then sucker punch ourselves with a cheap turnover.

Daly doesn't get nearly enough service from out wide. She seems frustrated.

To me, it's almost like when the men's team were struggling and we had Benteke. By hook or by crook, get the ball to the in form centre forward.

It's still not right. It's a shame because Man City didn't look all that special.

Last time against Everton there was one point where Daly was, let's say, making it verbally very clear to the rest to get up the pitch with her 😅

I think, being only 2 points off the bottom having played 9 out of 22 games, we could be very near relegation.

Do I think we'll go down? No I don't.

But it's a pretty sad state of affairs when we are even mentioning the word when we consider where we were last season.

Next two games are huge. Brighton, who have had a couple of decent results this season, at Bescot (where our form is poor) and then Leicester away.

• Like 2

We won't be near relegation, the league table is distorted by that first five games where everything went against us, all of which has been covered, it was always going to take a while to recover from that, unfortunately we were never going to then win the next five league games in a row to make up for it, yesterday's result was understandable, but should have beat Everton, for me that's the most disappointing result of the season.

I'd be very surprised if we're not at least ten points clear of the relegation spot by the end of the season, in fact I think we have a better chance of sneaking into fifth than we do of going down, the squad we had the season before last stayed up comfortably and this squad is way way better than what we had then.

But just because we will stay up comfortably, that doesn't mean it will have been a succesful season as that obviously wasn't the priority at the start, Ward's going to have to do better than just have us survive if she wants to be our manager next season.

I think we wanted top six or five as minimum, top four would have been nice but that was always very unlikely, I'm surprised the club let some the players talk about wanting top four in their interviews, they should have gone with Ward's original comments where she was quite dismissive of us being able to get top four and pointed out that teams that finish fifth usually struggle the follwing season, so the challenge for us was to try and buck that trend and establish ourselves in the top six or five and then take it from there

Now to finish top six is going to take monumental effort, but it's not impossible, as the teams above us outside of the top four aren't that great, but to stand a chance we need to find a way to play as we did last season,which shouldn't be impossible as other than Hampton we have the same players with better rotational options.

Brighton next weekend is massive on a number of levels, one because we really need the win, but also the outcome could define what we do in the winter break

It will be interesting to see who, if anyone, we sign in January, our squad is still quite small, just twenty-one players, and a third of those are attackers, of whom we can only play three at any given time, another two Georgia Mullett and Sophia Poor are inexperienced at WSL level academy players; in all competitions on only three occasions have we been able to fill our subs bench, and one of those occasions it was because we named Lydia Sallaway who is only sixteen, and it's not just been one player short, a lot of the time two or three players short.

I think we probably need to strengthen midfield, but then who would we drop, Blindkilde is one of the best young players in the country, Dali is probably our most important player other than Daly, Staniforth has been excellent since signing, Nobbs has shown her qualities, Parker has looked good playing there too, not sure what's going on with McLoughlin that's a strange one, she's in the last year of her contract and getting hardly any WSL game time at all, I hope we're not letting her go, I know it's only against Championship clubs, but in the League Cup she looks one of our best players, and has looked competent in the WSL when given a chance, bearing in mind she's only just turned nineteen she's worth keeping around based on promise alone.

Ruby Mace is someone I've wondered we might go for, was very impressed with her at Leicester last season and watching her for England U21s recenlty, she's a DM but very composed on the ball and a good passer, can also play central defense, Ward had her at small heath on loan from Arsenal, and she already knows some of our younger players from international duty, but whether Man City would be prepared to let her go I don't know, she's only made two appearances for them this season, so might be worth a try.

We need right-back, Charli Grant is the one we've been linked with and apparently has a WSL move lined up for January which I thought might be us, but recently she's being linked with Arsenal and West Ham more

I was thinking I wouldn't be surprised if we signed another Dutch player, might be good for van Domselaar on and off the pitch, especially if it's someone she already knows. I wouldn't be surprised if this was Corsie's last season with us as she's 34 and will be 35 at the start of next season, and her contract probably coming to an end soon as well, meaning we will need to sign another central defender

• Like 1

Wednesday's game against Durham in the League Cup is going to be streamed on the FA Player, it's a six pm kick-off. They're top of the group but have played a game more than us, hopefully we can win that to get us into the groove of winning at Bescot in time for Sunday, our league form there is pretty woeful, just one win in each of the last three seasons, but we can't have any excuses for the weekend, we have to win.

Edited by useless

FA Cup draw is tomorrow, teams and numbers in spoiler

Spoiler

1 Arsenal
2 Aston Villa
3 Brighton & Hove Albion
4 Bristol City
5 Chelsea
6 Everton
7 Leicester City
8 Liverpool
9 Manchester City
10 Manchester United
11 Tottenham Hotspur
12 West Ham United
13 Sheffield United
14 Newcastle United
15 Burnley
16 Derby County
17 Sunderland
18 Birmingham City
19 Blackburn Rovers
20 Nottingham Forest
21 Durham
22 Hull City or Wolverhampton Wanderers
23 Crystal Palace
24 Watford
25 London City Lionesses
26 Reading
27 Luton Town or Keynsham Town
28 Southampton FC Women
29 Plymouth Argyle
30 Ipswich Town or Lewes
31 Moneyfields
32 Charlton Athletic

I find it sickening that the top 6 sides in WSL are the same ‘top 6’ in the Premier League that Sky push onto people. There is something very very wrong about it. Liverpool weren’t even in the league a couple of seasons back, but they have been pushed on to ensure they make up that pack of teams. 

On 10/12/2023 at 19:33, Villanbee said:

I think, being only 2 points off the bottom having played 9 out of 22 games, we could be very near relegation.

Do I think we'll go down? No I don't.

But it's a pretty sad state of affairs when we are even mentioning the word when we consider where we were last season.

Next two games are huge. Brighton, who have had a couple of decent results this season, at Bescot (where our form is poor) and then Leicester away.

It's a disgrace to be on 6 points with nearly half the season played. 16 pts off the top. We finished on 37 points last year. If we carry on at the current rate, we finish the season on around 14 points. Horrid.

• Like 1

If we beat Brighton we will only be on three less points than we were last season going into the Christmas break, we had lost half of our games at that point, including going on a three game losing streak, in that run were defeats to West Ham and Everton and then finished the year by losing 5-0 to Man Utd and 4-1 to Arsenal. Point being we were doing better then results wise, but not to the extent that some might think.

We're not expected to finish anywhere near the top, dosn't really matter that we're fourteen points behind Chelsea, last season we had our best season ever, which was always going to be hard to replicate, and even then we finished twenty-one points off the top, I think some still haven't got to grips with how far ahead the top four are, this time last season, when again we had our best season ever, we were fifteen points off the top of the table.

But of course this thing of if we beat Brighton then we will only be on three less points than we were last season going into the Christmas break, needs us to actually beat Brighton first, which I'm not confident of, that's  less do with how the team has been performing - other than Everton they've been good of late - and more to do with our awful league form at the Bescot, but we have to find a way of overcoming that, a win would be huge for us and hopefully set us up for a better second half to the season, which hopefully be helped by some new signings.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, useless said:

If we beat Brighton we will only be on three less points than we were last season going into the Christmas break, we had lost half of our games at that point, including going on a three game losing streak, in that run were defeats to West Ham and Everton and then finished the year by losing 5-0 to Man Utd and 4-1 to Arsenal. Point being we were doing better then results wise, but not to the extent that some might think.

We're not expected to finish anywhere near the top, dosn't really matter that we're fourteen points behind Chelsea, last season we had our best season ever, which was always going to be hard to replicate, and even then we finished twenty-one points off the top, I think some still haven't got to grips with how far ahead the top four are, this time last season, when again we had our best season ever, we were fifteen points off the top of the table.

But of course this thing of if we beat Brighton then we will only be on three less points than we were last season going into the Christmas break, needs us to actually beat Brighton first, which I'm not confident of, that's  less do with how the team has been performing - other than Everton they've been good of late - and more to do with our awful league form at the Bescot, but we have to find a way of overcoming that, a win would be huge for us and hopefully set us up for a better second half to the season, which hopefully be helped by some new signings.

I think it would help the team to find a new home ground about an hour closer to Oxford 😌

Â