New Premier League Rules

Fowlersrs

So this is going to affect us this year and I dont see a thread on it yet...

Is anyone aware of the new rules being introduced? Including the VAR system in full use..

I've seen reports that hand balls are now given if the ball strikes the hand/arm regardless of wether or not the player has raised it or not...

Another is if the ball hits the referee inadvertently a free kick will be given to the team in possession so no advantage can be gained.... 

That's just a sample... I've not seen the full list!!

Glad to help!  On the VAR use - from https://www.premierleague.com/news/1235515

Premier League clubs were today provided with an update on plans for the introduction of Video Assistant Referees (VAR) in the competition next season.

This included details on in-stadium communications, in particular when there is a clear delay to a match because of VAR, and when refereeing decisions are over-turned due to the intervention of VAR.

The Premier League has created graphics which will be displayed on giant screens to explain any VAR-related delay to a match, and any overturned decision.

Additionally, if the VAR believes there is a definitive video clip which helps explain an overturned decision, it will be broadcast on giant screens.

Also, the Premier League is investigating the possibility of messages and video clips being viewed on handheld devices via an app.

For clubs who do not have giant screens in their stadium, VAR communications will be made via a combination of PA announcements and messages on scoreboards.

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That rule where if it hits the ref the team gets a free kick is a bit of a stupid rule. I can see teams taking advantage of that

I'm pretty sure deliberately kicking the ball at the referee already constitutes a foul and a red card. 

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm pretty sure deliberately kicking the ball at the referee already constitutes a foul and a red card. 

How do you make the decision though that it was deliberate? That's the problem

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, romavillan said:

The handball interpretations could be interesting!

If the way handballs were being awarded (or increasingly not as the tournament progressed) during the women's world cup, anyone hoping for "consistency" is going to be disappointed.

I happen to have the Newcastle v Wolves pre season friendly on in the background - one of the Newcastle defenders stuck a leg out and intercepted a pass, which hit him full on the hand that he had already stuck out in front of him - Martin Atkinson decided it wasn't an offence.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

How do you make the decision though that it was deliberate? That's the problem

I heard they are going to have a professional referee who is paid to make decisions about who has violated a particular rule or not. They will dress him in a black kit so he’s easily identifiable and fits to a popular terrace chant.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I heard they are going to have a professional referee who is paid to make decisions about who has violated a particular rule or not. They will dress him in a black kit so he’s easily identifiable and fits to a popular terrace chant.

:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

So if that's the case then why do they need VAR?

Have you never watched a replay and changed your mind on an offside decision that was/wasn’t given?

Not defending VAR by the way. I think the whole thing has been very poorly implemented so far.

22 minutes ago, CardiffGreens said:

If the way handballs were being awarded (or increasingly not as the tournament progressed) during the women's world cup, anyone hoping for "consistency" is going to be disappointed.

I happen to have the Newcastle v Wolves pre season friendly on in the background - one of the Newcastle defenders stuck a leg out and intercepted a pass, which hit him full on the hand that he had already stuck out in front of him - Martin Atkinson decided it wasn't an offence.

It'll be shoot on sight around the area if the body shape of the defender doesn't have his hands behind his back! I can see there being a few dodgy penalties based on that, and loads of VAR stoppages from blocks...

10 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Have you never watched a replay and changed your mind on an offside decision that was/wasn’t given?

Not defending VAR by the way. I think the whole thing has been very poorly implemented so far.

My point is @dont_do_it_doug. says refs have eyes. It's not refs ever make mistakes is it or not decieved.  If they weren't then they wouldn't need VAR.

Your opening a can of worms with this particular rule. I mean how often does it happening a game anyway? 

23 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

My point is @dont_do_it_doug. says refs have eyes. It's not refs ever make mistakes is it or not decieved.  If they weren't then they wouldn't need VAR.

Your opening a can of worms with this particular rule. I mean how often does it happening a game anyway? 

Of course refs make mistakes and are deceived. However considering they are generally looking right at play, I think the odds on them getting conned by a ball kicked right at them are so small it doesn't really bare thinking about. Nor does it seem much like a legitimate risk for a player to take given the potential punishment. 

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Of course refs make mistakes and are deceived. However considering they are generally looking right at play, I think the odds on them getting conned by a ball kicked right at them are so small it doesn't really bare thinking about. Nor does it seem much like a legitimate risk for a player to take given the potential punishment. 

I think you might be underestimatingthe tactics players are usually these days. Look at bamford for example. Anything to give your team  an advantage.  Hopefully this rule won't but it wouldn't surprise me.

Â