New Premier League Rules

Fowlersrs

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

That rule where if it hits the ref the team gets a free kick is a bit of a stupid rule. I can see teams taking advantage of that

I can't see players pelting the ball at the referee's face on purpose to get a free kick... 

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Bamford who received a two match ban for simulation? 

This very particular act seems incredibly far fetched. 

But if there was no review after the game he would have got away with it and played in PL. That's what s I'm saying refs miss/make mistakes. 

It does seem far fetched but let's wait and see someone will use this rule to their advantage 

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

I can't see players pelting the ball at the referee's face on purpose to get a free kick... 

U don't have to.where does if say 'pelt in the face'? It says 'touches ref' you can misplace a pass it could scrape the ref then it's a free kick

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

U don't have to.where does if say 'pelt in the face'? It says 'touches ref' you can misplace a pass it could scrape the ref then it's a free kick

That bit was just an exaggeration. You said players will take advantage of this new rule - basically, what I am saying is, I think the referee will know if players are kicking the ball at him, so they can get a free kick..

Edited by Tayls
added extra bit

Just now, Tayls said:

That bit was just an exaggeration. Basically, what I am saying is, I think the referee will know if players are kicking the ball at him, so they can get a free kick.. 

Logically yes but it's very difficult to know 100% unless as you said earlier it's a pelt in the face.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

That rule where if it hits the ref the team gets a free kick is a bit of a stupid rule. I can see teams taking advantage of that

That rule makes sense to me. The ball only ever really hits the ref when the ref is rightly walking/running in the direction of the play, or if a player plays a shit pass. But either of those instances shouldn't result in the ball just pinging off in any random direction off the ref, so the team that made the pass getting a free kick makes sense.

I don't know how teams could use that to their advantage. Unless you're thinking they'd use it to get themselves out of a dangerous position. But the ref is rarely that close to them, that it'll make it easier to play a pinpoint pass to the referee instead of playing that pinpoint pass to a team-mate :lol:

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But if there was no review after the game he would have got away with it and played in PL. That's what s I'm saying refs miss/make mistakes. 

It does seem far fetched but let's wait and see someone will use this rule to their advantage 

There was a review though and he didn't get away with it. You honestly think they're just going to let players get away with such a blatant rule break?

Ok, let's wait and see. 

32 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

That rule makes sense to me. The ball only ever really hits the ref when the ref is rightly walking/running in the direction of the play, or if a player plays a shit pass. But either of those instances shouldn't result in the ball just pinging off in any random direction off the ref, so the team that made the pass getting a free kick makes sense.

I don't know how teams could use that to their advantage. Unless you're thinking they'd use it to get themselves out of a dangerous position. But the ref is rarely that close to them, that it'll make it easier to play a pinpoint pass to the referee instead of playing that pinpoint pass to a team-mate :lol:

Exactly. The referee will be able to tell from the passage of play as to whether a player has deliberately kicked a ball at them. I know they're not always up to scratch, but they're not complete morons. 

• Like 1

Changes
  • The following ‘handball’ situations, even if accidental, will be a free kick:
    • The ball touches a player’s hand/arm which has made their body unnaturally bigger
    • The ball touches a player’s hand/arm when it is above their shoulder (unless the player has deliberately played the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

• The following will not usually be a free kick, unless they are one of the above situations:
    • The ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player who is close/near
    • The ball touches a player’s hand/arm which is close to their body and has not made their body unnaturally bigger
    • If a player is falling and the ball touches their hand/arm when it is between their body and the ground to support the body (but not extended to make the body bigger)

Explanation
Greater clarity is needed for handball, especially on those occasions when ‘non- d•eliberate’ handball is an offence. The re-wording follows a number of principles:
  • Having the hand/arm above shoulder height is rarely a ‘natural’ position and a player is ‘taking a risk’ by having the hand/arm in that position, including when sliding
  • If the ball comes off the player’s body, or off another player (of either team) who is•close by, onto the hands/arms it is often impossible to avoid contact with the ball

Lol, good luck referees :D 

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It gives us a perfect new strategy, for our first season back.

1) Give the ball to Jack

2) Jack to dance into the box

3) Jack flicks the ball up at an opponents hand

4) Penalty

5) Repeat

im sure they've changed the handball rule to if it results in a goal then its handball automatically, intentional or not, not abiding by the rule above either, if your hand is by your side and it hits it and goes in its getting ruled out

baggies goal vs us last year would be ruled out

2 hours ago, bobzy said:
Changes
  • The following ‘handball’ situations, even if accidental, will be a free kick:
    • The ball touches a player’s hand/arm which has made their body unnaturally bigger
    • The ball touches a player’s hand/arm when it is above their shoulder (unless the player has deliberately played the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

• The following will not usually be a free kick, unless they are one of the above situations:
    • The ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player who is close/near
    • The ball touches a player’s hand/arm which is close to their body and has not made their body unnaturally bigger
    • If a player is falling and the ball touches their hand/arm when it is between their body and the ground to support the body (but not extended to make the body bigger)

Explanation
Greater clarity is needed for handball, especially on those occasions when ‘non- d•eliberate’ handball is an offence. The re-wording follows a number of principles:
  • Having the hand/arm above shoulder height is rarely a ‘natural’ position and a player is ‘taking a risk’ by having the hand/arm in that position, including when sliding
  • If the ball comes off the player’s body, or off another player (of either team) who is•close by, onto the hands/arms it is often impossible to avoid contact with the ball

So it's basically the same rule, just clarified? 

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

baggies goal vs us last year would be ruled out

To be fair to the player, after he'd caught the ball the first time, he did put it down and look a bit sorry like, and then he only handled it into the net once afterwards. You can't criticise refs for allowing such marginal infringements.

• Like 1

Surprised no one has mentioned what I think is the biggest change after VAR introduction..

When teams are on the same number of points the positions will now be decided on head to head results including away goal rule. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

Surprised no one has mentioned what I think is the biggest change after VAR introduction..

When teams are on the same number of points the positions will now be decided on head to head results including away goal rule. 

Spanish rules

Surprised they haven't introduced a playoff game if it meant something (which I think the Italians do)

Not a lot I disagree with in the new rules. 

The substitute one though, I still think is the wrong solution. 

They should just let play carry on when a sub is being made. Player still can’t come on until the other player has left the field. That would soon stop the time wasting. 

38 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not a lot I disagree with in the new rules. 

The substitute one though, I still think is the wrong solution. 

They should just let play carry on when a sub is being made. Player still can’t come on until the other player has left the field. That would soon stop the time wasting. 

Agreed.

Same with treatments. Play on until a natural stoppage IMO, stops diving and time wasting tactics.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Agreed.

Same with treatments. Play on until a natural stoppage IMO, stops diving and time wasting tactics.

Exactly. 

Teams can still wait until then all goes out of play to make the sub so they don’t lose out, but the players would be legging it off the pitch if there was no obligation for the game to stop while it happened

Â