Pre-match thread

John

25 minutes ago, romavillan said:

He'd have to come on for Jack or McGinn though, He won't play in front of the back 4 will he? Could move McGinn there I spose and try him box to box

If Hourihane can play there so can Carroll.

Hourihane got as much defensive steel as a toddler

Just now, villalad21 said:

Hourihane is actually in the higher percentage for ball recoveries in the league this season, but of course he shies from a few challenges and everyone thinks he's a coward and doesn't get stuck in.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He might go in there but I thought he was supposed to play in the Grealish role, like Lansbury was. Then they all got broke.

I'm not against a small player in there who's a great passer, I remember Makélélé;)

2 minutes ago, Skruff said:

I'm fearing complacency. Thankfully we have a few strong competetive heads in the there.

That’s what McGinn was warning about earlier in the week - acknowledging that last time we had a few wins, the team went off the boil. Think that happened last season as well after the Wolves 4-1.

Hopefully the very fact that McGinn and presumably therefore the other players are alert to it means it’s less likely to happen. 

Very hopeful of a win today - that 1st XI looks well-balanced.

We totally out played Middlesborough away at the start of December and won 3-0. It was the last match before we started to go in to decline. Whelan was on the bench.

If you check the stats you'll see that in the previous run of exciting games Whelan had been on the bench and used as a late sub. After thrashing Middlesbrough Whelan became a starter on a regular basis and we stopped playing good football.

We play deeper when Whelan plays and isolate Abraham more. He may be a solid pro, but he's slow and his default play is negative.

Middlesbrough are there for the taking today, and we simply have to take three points from this match. We need to be absolutely positive and get in their faces!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, romavillan said:

He might go in there but I thought he was supposed to play in the Grealish role, like Lansbury was. Then they all got broke.

I'm not against a small player in there who's a great passer, I remember Makélélé;)

In all honestly we're gonna be on the front foot for the entire game, we don't need Whelan.

I'd rather have someone like Carroll with his passing quality for a game like this to open up their defence. Pulis will park the bus, Whelan offers nothing in a game like this, unless Smith seriously fear Middlesbrough as an attacking threat.

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

In all honestly we're gonna be on the front foot for the entire game, we don't need Whelan.

I'd rather have someone like Carroll with his passing quality for a game like this to open up their defence. Pulis will park the bus, Whelan offers nothing in a game like this, unless Smith seriously fear Middlesbrough as an attacking threat.

Whelan was great against Derby and we were 4 up at half time, so you know. Might not be a total disaster...