UFC/Pride/MMA

Gabby15

Can those who actually watch this stuff and who can remove the hype surrounding both fighters give us a preview of what's in store in terms of what both are good at?  Who do you honestly reckon has the tools to win?

Originally Jose Aldo came from a very strong BJJ background (black belt and won some serious competitions before going MMA)

He however prefers to "strike to please the knockout hungry crowds" and hes very good at it

McGregor is a striker but used to be more of a counter striker who gauged distance and then pounced after, even in his first fights in UFC

He has since moved abit away from that and now more stalks his opponent. He has very good knockout power and he now relys on this and his chin. This is more exciting and probably helped with the hype but alsot means he actually gets hit more now than he used to.

One would hope CMG will be a better striker than Aldo because if hes not he is screwed.

If Aldo is losing the striking he is likely to resort to getting in close and using his BJJ. If that happens CMG is probably screwed.

They both have tools to win, Aldo probably has the better tools but i honestly think that all the hype has helped Conor alot.

Aldos hype is deserved, it is unknown if CMGs hype is deserved. I hope so

• Like 1

I must be one of the few Irishmen hoping McGregor gets a serious reality check.  A bit like when you used to watch Nassem Hamed in the knowledge that one day his showboating would get him KTFO.

• Like 1

It's a  few steps up from anything Conor has fazed yet that's for sure. I saw Conors UFC debut in stockholm and the way he picked Brimage (Who is no scrub) apart made me raise both eyebrows. His best win in my opinion was the way he handled Holloway even though he blew his knee. That showed grit and heart needed to be a champ.

Aldo is a different beast. His kicking-game will not allow Conor to stand the way he does for long, but kicks also lend themselves to counters which Conor does well. Both also hit hard but Conor seams to have mote accuracy. So, for me it's kicks vs accuracy that will be the main point.

For me it's very 50-50 but the mentality gives the edge to the Irishman, he clearly is in Aldos head. But on the other hand, long term champs are just that, for a reason.

Long term champs in the last 2 years(?) have all lost their belts except Jose and ronda (but shes not human)

Edited by zak

I must be one of the few Irishmen hoping McGregor gets a serious reality check.  A bit like when you used to watch Nassem Hamed in the knowledge that one day his showboating would get him KTFO.

Just think of it like hes a great salesman, he gets paid fortunes for what he is doing.

Its not McGregor that I cant stand as fair enough he is doing ti for the hype but its the "fans" who jumped on the bandwagon that piss me off. Most couldnt even spell UFC 3 years ago

Oh I completely get that, and he has been amazing for UFC.  He has people like me even bothering to follow what is going on.  He has been a dream for Dana as he has catapulted the sport into the public's field of vision and alongside boxing at a time when boxing is being criticised for having no real characters.  Because of that I wouldn't be surprised if Dana secretly wants McGregor to win as he's big box office (not to mention a big Irish star in America carries a certain X Factor with it). 

Oh absolutly he will want him to win!

He is what the UFC needs...a true box office champion, love him or hate him.

Agreed, for many reasons.

Even if Mcgregor wins there will still be many doubters/haters saying he shouldn't have got the fight and he'd lose to a wrestler if put against one. Mendes will get a shot then if he wins that the doubters will talk about Edgar.

All 3 fights would be huge. If Aldo wins he defends his title again against Edgar and Mendes......Boring.

I dont know if you can tell, but im really excited

Even if Mcgregor wins there will still be many doubters/haters saying he shouldn't have got the fight and he'd lose to a wrestler if put against one. Mendes will get a shot then if he wins that the doubters will talk about Edgar.

All 3 fights would be huge. If Aldo wins he defends his title again against Edgar and Mendes......Boring.

Hmmm.  Needs more exclamation marks.

Hmmm.  Needs more exclamation marks.

Meant more by the amount of posts i have posted in here recently, as i am not one who posts very often.

oh and....

VEGAS BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! C'mon McGregor you Beaut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Santos on Bosse rivals Barboza on Etim for pure nastiness. Holy crap what a KO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=15&v=NQnfuVxCChY

Great performance form Larkin and Romero as well. Good fights again.

Happy for by Sirwan Kakai as well. Drawing Chris Beal to get into the TUF house was bad luck, happy he got a second chance.

Â