What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

Was going dry but then Giselle came home after a night with the girls....

perry, then some Vodka and Ginger beer

Don't let Rob or the lad see this post...

a night with the girls? Hope you got pics :-)

black_label_bott.jpg

South African Carling Black Label - totally different to our stuff - 5.5% strength and more of a Pale Ale taste .....Hmmmm

Very jealous that you are in SA! Where about are you?

And to trim, Red Stripe; good man.

Standard Procedure, currently reppin' too.

Red Stripe rules the lager roost, even the wife agrees. Junglist massives number one liquid.

Currently Chardonnay Sauvignon Blanc - finished half a bottle from last night whilst cooking, now cracked a fresh one. Eating duck breasts, with orange sauce, steamed peas, Chantenay carrots and potatoes roasted in the fat rendered from the duck.

Made a stock as the base of a gravy to put at the potato end of the plate - the duck, veg and orange sauce went at the other end - and it is totally outrageous. A sharp sauce at one end for the duck and veg, a rich gravy for the potatoes to be opened up into at the other. And where they meet in the middle, it just WORKS!

Throw on Black Hawk Down on the TV and we're laughing.

Currently drinking a cheeky Carignan, decent south of france red, gold medal winner last year (and good value at about a fiver in Sainsburys), its a little bit different

Now going back to Trims Red Stripe fetish, see I'm old enough to remember when RS was imported from the Caribbean, it was a cult drink and Crucial Brew was very hard to get hold of (though was a little too strong and syruppy for my tastes), now its just another Eurolager brewed by a bloke called Daffydd in a Welsh field somewhere. Unlike Coke, it aint the real thing

I can also tell you a similar story for a lot of "imported" beers. The Original Miller Genuine Draft imported from the States was very nice indeed, as son as you couldn't screw the top off with your bare hand it became shit, same goes for Rolling Rock, when it genuinely did contain water from the "Old Latrobe" it was a quality lager product, as soon as ity was brweed to "the traditiona of the old Latrobe" by a bloke called Dave in Bedford it became shit

And if you want a Lager style Beer I wish I was drinking that really was the genuine Article it would have to be Sapporo, the stuff that came in the rigid can, that you pulled the entire top off to reveal a handy alluminium drinking vessel, rumoured to contain amphetamine (though this was untrue) but I really could drink that stuff for hours. I believe Liverpool was the only Students Union in the country that served it at one point and the mere mortal students never got a sniff of it as I used to requisition the whole delivery for the exclusive use of the Ents Ctte everytime it landed

great Stuff it really was

Edit: It looked much like this

AL_BE_sapporoimportedpremiumlager.jpg

Except the whole top puled off and it was like drinking from a glass instantly

Bicks, Red Stripe could be brewed by anyone, anywhere....

It was THE drink as a young Trim, it went so well with the pipes I was smoking at the time.

Now, it is far and away the best 'cheap' lager available, pisses all over Carling, Fosters et al, and doesn't make me want to fight people like Stella does. Crisp, clean, gives a lovely nice 'drunk' whether drunk in 4s or 40s.

I'm amazed it's not more common. I defy any lager drinker not to enjoy it.

Currently Chardonnay Sauvignon Blanc - finished half a bottle from last night whilst cooking, now cracked a fresh one. Eating duck breasts, with orange sauce, steamed peas, Chantenay carrots and potatoes roasted in the fat rendered from the duck.

Made a stock as the base of a gravy to put at the potato end of the plate - the duck, veg and orange sauce went at the other end - and it is totally outrageous. A sharp sauce at one end for the duck and veg, a rich gravy for the potatoes to be opened up into at the other. And where they meet in the middle, it just WORKS!

Well it did until you started drinking white wine with it :P

Duck always says red to me :D

doesn't make me want to fight people like Stella does.

Ah, yes, of course. Booze brand and type dictates behaviour. Brand x means I become a happy drunk, brand y means you better not be looking at me or my woman. Mmmm. Blaming a brand for behaviour is a huge cop-out as far as I'm concerned.

Currently Chardonnay Sauvignon Blanc

Can't say that I've seen many Chard SB blends in my time... hell I can't say I've seen many (any?) blends of grapes historically associated with Bordeaux with those associated with Burgundy. Maybe I've been tainted by tasting one too many (which is to say one, period) excessively oaked New World Chards (I was about to write "American" there, but on reflection realized that the Antipodean houses go at least as far in overoaking the chardonnay), but I'm not seeing how that would work out that well.

Well it did until you started drinking white wine with it :P

Duck always says red to me :D

Well hold on! First things first, I started on the white before I stared eating!

However, I would invariably agree with you on a red with duck but not with orange sauce and a rich but light gravy. It worked in a big way and I would recommend it.

Ah you didnt say you were killing the duck in orange sauce :mrgreen:

Never been a fan of à l'orange myself, just dont like the sauce, dont think it accompanies duck at all and generaly think it loked better on the tree :mrgreen:

If its duck (especially Barbary Duck) I prefer it with a cherry compote or sauce, not as cloying and (back on topic) definitely in need of a red :nod:

doesn't make me want to fight people like Stella does.

Ah, yes, of course. Booze brand and type dictates behaviour. Brand x means I become a happy drunk, brand y means you better not be looking at me or my woman. Mmmm. Blaming a brand for behaviour is a huge cop-out as far as I'm concerned.

Shush your hole boy, no copout at all.

If I drink Carling (god forbid) I'm good for a bellyload.

If I drink Red Stripe I'm good for the the evening.

If I drink White Wine I'll be asleep by 10pm

If I drink Red Wine I'll be sick by 10pm.

If I drink Stella I end up in trouble usually. It's not a COP-OUT it's a much stronger lager than what I'd normally drink. I don't drink by ABV, I drink by taste.

8 cans of Carling < 8 cans of Red Stripe < 8 cans of Stella by ABV.

I don't go out drinking Stella to fight people, I drink Stella because I enjoy it, much the same with Leffe (which is much stronger than a shandy my mate, you be careful should you ever try it). What a stupid thing to post, too much C2 or something you fassyhole?

Tell me, Privateer, what is your tipple? I'm guessing you're a wine chugger maybe?

I can also tell you a similar story for a lot of "imported" beers. The Original Miller Genuine Draft imported from the States was very nice indeed, as son as you couldn't screw the top off with your bare hand it became shit, same goes for Rolling Rock, when it genuinely did contain water from the "Old Latrobe" it was a quality lager product, as soon as ity was brweed to "the traditiona of the old Latrobe" by a bloke called Dave in Bedford it became shit

Brit in praise for American beer (and macro lager at that!) SHOCKER! ;)

American Rolling Rock isn't even brewed in Latrobe anymore... when AB bought Rolling Rock from Labatts/InBev they only bought the brand and intellectual property, not the brewery... I know Boston Beer Co. (aka Sam Adams) made a run at buying it, but I think the brewery still sits idle.

Back in the late '90s, when Rolling Rock was probably the coolest traditional American lager with college students, my mom would roll her eyes whenever an advert for it came on the radio. Back in her day in Pennsylvania, the Rock was cheap swill for the working class. I guess in that way, Rolling Rock presaged the whole PBR/Narragansett/Miller High Life blue collar beer resurrected by urbane hipster thing.

Can't say that I've seen many Chard SB blends in my time... hell I can't say I've seen many (any?) blends of grapes historically associated with Bordeaux with those associated with Burgundy. Maybe I've been tainted by tasting one too many (which is to say one, period) excessively oaked New World Chards (I was about to write "American" there, but on reflection realized that the Antipodean houses go at least as far in overoaking the chardonnay), but I'm not seeing how that would work out that well.

He's drinking something similar to this. Its screams "GIRLS DRINK" to me :mrgreen:

If it was oaked I wouldn't be drinking it at all. The sauvignon crisps it up. It is very rarely that I'll touch a straight chardonnay because I'm leery of the oakiness.

If it was oaked I wouldn't be drinking it at all. The sauvignon crisps it up. It is very rarely that I'll touch a straight chardonnay because I'm leery of the oakiness.

I think this answers my earlier post with a big middle finger response.

Don't ever criticise anything I choose to do, particularly online if we've never met, when you talk about your leeriness of the oakiness. A typically toff-esq response to something you know nothing about.

Enjoy your none-oakiness this evening, don't forget Barnaby's homework x

I picked up a mixed 12-pack of Michelob's "craft-style brews".

The Pale Ale is passable... but it claims to be an English-style pale ale, but using Cascade hops over East Kent Goldings? Actually that's a common problem when AB tries to get crafty. The Amber Bock, as great an example of a North American dark lager (think Tres Equis or Negra Modelo) as there is, simply isn't a bock.

Haven't tried the Irish Red, Marzen, or Porter yet.

These should go nicely with another batch of 4-5 Homicide episodes...

Ah you didnt say you were killing the duck in orange sauce :mrgreen:

Never been a fan of à l'orange myself, just dont like the sauce, dont think it accompanies duck at all and generaly think it loked better on the tree :mrgreen:

If its duck (especially Barbary Duck) I prefer it with a cherry compote or sauce, not as cloying and (back on topic) definitely in need of a red :nod:

Er, I did! If you read my original post you'll see I did mention the orange sauce!

I was tempted to do it with cherry as I do have the ingredients for it but didn't have the wine!

It worked out much better than I expected having had it with orange sauce once before (made by someone else) and really not liking it. That may be because it was served with a red wine :lol:

My apologies for not reading one post properly seems like you are only half a philistine after all :D:D :nod:

And back on topic, considering I was up at 4:53 this morning (yes thatis the traditional seven minutes before my alarm goes off) and the fact I drank 2 glasses to finish off last nights Fitou and now the Carignan is completely gone I have to wonder how I'm still alive let alone awake

Â