Knee replacement

Eastie

See Tonyh29, who seems to have had success with stem cell treatment instead of joint replacement. 

However, I do have two running club mates who have had  knee replacements. The rehab took a while, but they are both back running, prety well, too. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

See Tonyh29, who seems to have had success with stem cell treatment instead of joint replacement. 

However, I do have two running club mates who have had  knee replacements. The rehab took a while, but they are both back running, prety well, too. 

Cheers mate - seems there's a 28 week waiting week so will probs be new year before surgery - I have been told it can be done while awake which I think I prefer .

My dads had both knees replaced.

First one he was off work for 6 weeks, second one he felt like he could have gone back after 3.

he hasn't had any problems with them and the physio/rehab after wasn't too bad either, I'm sure that he would say it's one of the best things he has ever done.

Only thing is that he is convinced that his right hip needs doing now.

2 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

My dads had both knees replaced.

First one he was off work for 6 weeks, second one he felt like he could have gone back after 3.

he hasn't had any problems with them and the physio/rehab after wasn't too bad either, I'm sure that he would say it's one of the best things he has ever done.

Only thing is that he is convinced that his right hip needs doing now.

Good to hear mate , though sorry about his hip .

50 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Been told I need a total knee replacement - anyone on here had this done and how are you feeling now ?

any advice welcome - I'm aware it will involve a lot of rehab afterwards .

Did they say why you need a total knee replacement ? My treatment may not be for you but before you go ahead then look up professor Shetty in Chatham.... might be the best thing you ever do

bit further afield but the stone clinic in the US also do implants that prevent total knee replacements , I'd def suggest looking at these options first 

(prof Shettty is also treating on the NHS before you rule him out ) 

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Did they say why you need a total knee replacement ? My treatment may not be for you but before you go ahead then look up professor Shetty in Chatham.... might be the best thing you ever do

bit further afield but the stone clinic in the US also do implants that prevent total knee replacements , I'd def suggest looking at these options first 

(prof Shettty is also treating on the NHS before you rule him out ) 

Cheers will do- severe wear and tear which has caused arthritis even though only 51 , probably due to working on feet last 35 years .

Edited by Eastie

7 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Cheers will do- severe wear and tear which has caused arthritis even though only 51 , probably due to working on feet last 35 years .

That doesn't sound all that dissimilar from my symptoms  tbh

small arthroscopy , 6 weeks on crutches and then a year and a bit  later back playing football ( hopefully , still got 6 months to wait ) ... no huge scar and no discomfort drawback is I'm not part terminator :)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Father in law had his done a few years back, has really helped him. Gone from being in pain to being able to walk a lot more than he could. Hope it goes well for you.

Cheers - seems a lot more positives than negatives from those who have had the surgery. 

• Like 1

On 08/07/2017 at 18:36, Eastie said:

Cheers mate - seems there's a 28 week waiting week so will probs be new year before surgery - I have been told it can be done while awake which I think I prefer .

My Mom had hers done a couple of years ago - although she was 80 at the time and I'm guessing you're not.  She was awake, but wished she'd had the general anaesthetic afterwards as she went into shock during the operation.  She said she could hear them sawing at the bones and doing the work and it all just got too much.

Based on her description, I'd be signing up for a nice little kip too.

After the tough rehab though, she's had no problems at all with the new knee.

16 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

My Mom had hers done a couple of years ago - although she was 80 at the time and I'm guessing you're not.  She was awake, but wished she'd had the general anaesthetic afterwards as she went into shock during the operation.  She said she could hear them sawing at the bones and doing the work and it all just got too much.

Based on her description, I'd be signing up for a nice little kip too.

After the tough rehab though, she's had no problems at all with the new knee.

I think you are allowed your iPod in while the operate so will turn it up full blast with headphones on - I know they put a curtain across tyour chest so you can't see it but I'll try and think of something nice - either scoring at the holte end or scoring with Keira knightley ;) 

ps - I'm 51 so hoping age will aid my recovery .

Edited by Eastie

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

I think you are allowed your iPod in while the operate so will turn it up full blast with headphones on - I know they put a curtain across tyour chest so you can't see it but I'll try and think of something nice - either scoring at the holte end or scoring with Keira knightley ;) 

ps - I'm 51 so hoping age will aid my recovery .

may as well ask for a treatment with leeches while you're at it  , what with your opting for caveman medical treatment ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

may as well ask for a treatment with leeches while you're at it  , what with your opting for caveman medical treatment ;)

Spoiler

The use of leeches in modern medicine made a small-scale comeback in the 1980s after years of decline, with the advent of microsurgeries, such as plastic and reconstructive surgeries. In operations such as these, problematic venous congestion can arise due to inefficient venous drainage. Sometimes, because of the technical difficulties in forming an anastomosis of a vein, no attempt is made to reattach a venous supply to a flap at all. This condition is known as venous insufficiency. If this congestion is not cleared up quickly, the blood will clot, arteries that bring the tissues their necessary nourishment will become plugged, and the tissues will die. To prevent this, leeches are applied to a congested flap, and a certain amount of excess blood is consumed before the leech falls away. The wound will also continue to bleed for a while due to the anticoagulant hirudin in the leech's saliva. The combined effect is to reduce the swelling in the tissues and to promote healing by allowing fresh, oxygenated blood to reach the area.

The active anticoagulant component of leech saliva is a small protein, hirudin. Discovery and isolation of this protein led to a method of producing it by recombinant technology. Recombinant hirudin is available to physicians as an intravenous anticoagulant preparation for injection, particularly useful for patients who are allergic to or cannot tolerate heparin

Wiki

26 minutes ago, mjmooney said:
  Hide contents

The use of leeches in modern medicine made a small-scale comeback in the 1980s after years of decline, with the advent of microsurgeries, such as plastic and reconstructive surgeries. In operations such as these, problematic venous congestion can arise due to inefficient venous drainage. Sometimes, because of the technical difficulties in forming an anastomosis of a vein, no attempt is made to reattach a venous supply to a flap at all. This condition is known as venous insufficiency. If this congestion is not cleared up quickly, the blood will clot, arteries that bring the tissues their necessary nourishment will become plugged, and the tissues will die. To prevent this, leeches are applied to a congested flap, and a certain amount of excess blood is consumed before the leech falls away. The wound will also continue to bleed for a while due to the anticoagulant hirudin in the leech's saliva. The combined effect is to reduce the swelling in the tissues and to promote healing by allowing fresh, oxygenated blood to reach the area.

The active anticoagulant component of leech saliva is a small protein, hirudin. Discovery and isolation of this protein led to a method of producing it by recombinant technology. Recombinant hirudin is available to physicians as an intravenous anticoagulant preparation for injection, particularly useful for patients who are allergic to or cannot tolerate heparin

Wiki

Yeah I knew about the comeback of leeches but I couldn't think of another suitable analogy so took a deep breath and went for it ... 

On 08/07/2017 at 18:15, Eastie said:

Been told I need a total knee replacement - anyone on here had this done and how are you feeling now ?

I know further down the thread you said you were 52, but I just want to check you're definitely NOT Jordan Amavi.  Are you?

Â