Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

Serbia's President Vucic appears to have had an epiphany in the last two days

Yesterday he complained that Russia (Wagner) was advertising to recruit men in Serbia, which they've been doing for months and today this...

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Serbia's President Vucic appears to have had an epiphany in the last two days

Yesterday he complained that Russia (Wagner) was advertising to recruit men in Serbia, which they've been doing for months and today this...

Ah.... It's okay to support the motherland until they start taking your sons in larger numbers to fight in Ukraine, who then don't return home. I get it.

Shame he's not been more honest about how Serbs have been fighting against Ukraine in the Donbas as mercenaries for years.

Edited by avfc1982am
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

A good explanation as to why Belarus won't join Russians in any potential new advance. Also, update on the East which is also precarious for Russians regardless of taking Soledar. . 

Geezer knows his shit! 😮

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

He's actually provided a pretty balanced analysis throughout the conflict tbf. 

He’s good, except for a constant mispronunciation of town names. My favourite is when he tries to say Zaporizizizizizizizja. 😂

• Haha 1

There are so many similarities between this conflict and WW2.  

At the start I thought Ukraine would be like WW2 Poland . They put up a brave fight against a massive force but they were always doomed to failure. 

But then Ukraine became WW2 Finland.  They gave the Russians a damn good kicking but ultimately had to give up territory because they could not sustain the fight. 

Then Ukraine became WW2 UK.  Holding their own but unable to dislodge the enemy without help.  

Ironically, I think Ukraine is now becoming WW2 Russia.  They took a good kicking at the start.  But once they were rearmed by the US and UK they started driving the enemy back. 

Russia is like WW2 Germany,  They are now at the stage of boasting about their wonder weapons and bombarding civilian infrastructure that has no military value. 

Let’s hope these similarities continue.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Russia is like WW2 Germany,  They are now at the stage of boasting about their wonder weapons and bombarding civilian infrastructure that has no military value. 

Let’s hope these similarities continue.  

Except the death camps stuff.

54 minutes ago, Enda said:

Except the death camps stuff.

You'd think so, but it's quite obvious that Russia has the same tools in its locker. Bucha, Irpin and the amount of people who have gone missing from Crimea and Donbas suggests that the similarities are sadly very real.

• Like 2

I see Germany are refusing to send in tanks unless the yanks do the same. I am not sure on what planet the Germans think they can dictate to America what support they should give after the amount of aid the US has already provided for a war that's thousands of miles away from them. The German attitude to this war is laughable. Also it seems the US tank run on jet fuel which is a lot harder to supply to the front lines than the Leopard tanks that run on petrol.

57 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I see Germany are refusing to send in tanks unless the yanks do the same. I am not sure on what planet the Germans think they can dictate to America what support they should give after the amount of aid the US has already provided for a war that's thousands of miles away from them. The German attitude to this war is laughable. Also it seems the US tank run on jet fuel which is a lot harder to supply to the front lines than the Leopard tanks that run on petrol.

Not just that, but the Abrahms has reactive depleted uranium armour, deeply classified and illegal by U.S law to export. The Germans are okay with selling Leopards all over and have no such thing in place, they just cannot hide their in part heavy cronyism towards Russia. Scholz' party is full of Putin-shills on the left, and this statement is likely directly from them.

If I were Finland, Poland and the Baltic states I'd do it anyway, it's not like Germany can do without the sale of these tanks. Poland have ordered main battle tanks from South Korea anyhow, and this buffoonery by Germany will likely push more members towards finding other trading partners.

In either case it's showing that NATO needs to set up a common tank design and factories to make them. The Swiss and German position in this war has made their ridiculous export bans untenable. They both make great bits of kit, but they're so innately coloured by their policy and/or tendency to get enrolled in NATO's enemies' traps that they're no longer reliable.

And the Germans probably didn't even think about the logistical tail that the M1 has over the Leopard which is already serviced in Poland and the Baltics. It just doesn't make sense.

Edited by magnkarl

8 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

In either case it's showing that NATO needs to set up a common tank design and factories to make them.

There's no chance of that happening though, too much money at stake and that's before you consider the politics.  

6 minutes ago, villa89 said:

There's no chance of that happening though, too much money at stake and that's before you consider the politics.  

It's not entirely unfeasible. Most NATO countries in Europe have gone for the Leopard. Germany is showing that this is an unreliable option. Our own Challenger 2's are extremely expensive to us as we're the only ones to use them, and France/Italy has the same issues with their Leclerc/ariete. If NATO is supposed to be the force we want to be we need to put our efforts into making one or two MBT's, not 5-6 like we're currently operating. If we ever had a big war the logistics alone would be a massive headache.

Poland have already licensed the production of the extremely capable K2 from South Korea, it'd be a good platform to work with as it's already operated by many of our allies in the East, and will likely be key if China were ever to try what Russia is doing now. The smart option would be a K2/M1 combination.

Â