Let's check in with Olof (Swedish Football)

Midfielder

• 3 months later...

Marek Hamsik signed for IFK Göteborg :D Biggest foreign name along with Jari Litmanen (and Diego Lugano) to sign for a Swedish club that I can think of.

Was told he was signing for 8 games only but apparently it's a contract that runs all the way to the 30th of August. I imagine he has some out clauses if a European club comes knocking.

Salary supposedly only about £2300/w which isn't even much by Allsvenskan standards. In comparison he made £272k/w in china so he doesn't need the money. 33 y.o and by all accounts super professional he's only there to get in form for the Euro's in the summer.

9b68494f-4daf-4c65-8d20-bf24002a1947?fit=crop&h=619&q=50&w=1100&s=ddf3ab104cb8afc10121c576f28d439caadf6c8e

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

And today the IFK Göteborg retirement home gets to welcome Oscar Wendt and Marcus Berg to the group who will be replacing Pontus Wernbloom and Jacob Johansson who are sadly no longer with us.

And any day now Gustav Svensson will be wheeled in as well. Meanwhile results continue to be pathetic as ever.

9 minutes ago, sne said:

And today the IFK Göteborg retirement home gets to welcome Oscar Wendt and Marcus Berg to the group who will be replacing Pontus Wernbloom and Jacob Johansson who are sadly no longer with us.

And any day now Gustav Svensson will be wheeled in as well. Meanwhile results continue to be pathetic as ever.

and already losing :D 

7 hours ago, sne said:

Sounds like they died! Euthanised by any chance?

16 hours ago, Hornso said:

Sounds like they died! Euthanised by any chance?

Nah, just old age. Club is currently working through all the players that were there when they won their latest league title back in 2007. It's not a great plan. :(

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, sne said:

Nah, just old age. Club is currently working through all the players that were there when they won their latest league title back in 2007. It's not a great plan. :(

Thomas Ravelli is on the way back

• Haha 1

Just now, Zatman said:

Thomas Ravelli is on the way back

Wouldn't surprise me :D 

We do need a new GK now that Anestis can no longer sign a contract with foreign tax reduction so he'll be off. There is talk about the club trying to get Dahlberg back from Watford now that his loan at Häcken is over but don't see how they could afford that.

Former Swedish captain and current Helsingborg IF sporting director Andreas Granqvist doing himself and his employers proud by getting into a fight with a bouncer outside a club in Helsingborg.image.png.2a8d3fdca4d598579da80c60ba3d7626.png

What a tool, this is a guy who was part of the Swedish national side and even captain up until the Euro's and was brought along as a good influence to the group even after he was injured and could not play. Been talk about him having alcohol problems for a while now but this is pretty sad.

Helsingborg seem to be a magnet for moron footballers.

Edited by sne

15 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

As a Malmö fan I am not surprised that anybody from or playing for Helsingborg is an idiot. 

Wasn't that long ago that one of the Olsson twins got into a fight with police outside a nightclub in Helsingborg. The one who's at Häcken now Martin wasn't it?

23 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

As a Malmö fan I am not surprised that anybody from or playing for Helsingborg is an idiot. 

Ive been to Helsingborg. Its a sad place, can imagine its tough to find a place to find an enjoyable night 😂

Hej guys. Loving that this thread carried on, I used to post on this site and always did love the banter and craic with our Swedish / Scandinavian Villans. I had a lot of life stuff happen at once, god 2017 ish, and kinda went under for a bit, personal losses including family losses, best mate passing in his 30s, relationship nightmare. Crazy period, but life basically. Stopped using the site, pretty much all the sites I used, made positive life changes etc and blah blah etc. Through the other side of that sh-- time I scanned the pages intermittently but got used to being a forum voyeur every now and then rather than a poster, on and off. 

I won't be "all over" the site as much as I used to, but might post from time to time here in this thread. My interest in Swedish football is still as strong as ever. A beauty of life, is that no matter what we all have on, football is constant. I have been hooked especially to the Jack Grealish thread for ages, watching the replies and since I have spent so much lurking in the last few weeks desperate for ITK hints and so today, THE DAY of jack news, I've logged in for the first time in donkey's years. Thought I would stop by and say hej. Time goes very quickly. See you around, in time, with some league updates.

• Like 4

Right so, I am back from Zeta Reticuli having been kidnapped by aliens for three years, no probeage. Today's news of relevance, today is a big one for Malmo fans then, an opportunity to get past Rangers in the Champions League qualifiers. 8pm UK time, Rangers v Malmo. Technically then, it is in the hands of Malmo, leading 2-1 from the first leg. Correct me if I am wrong, but the away goals rule I think was scrapped in european competition for this season? 

Celtic were dumped out of the Champions League qualifiers and you know how that works with the Rangers rivalry. The ribbing, that Celtic fans got regarding that, on so many levels this is a match that Rangers have to win, if you follow. It goes beyond the fixture and the competition qualifier itself, the pride, the oneupmanship, Rangers will be hell bent on winning this at all costs, especially after that surprise loss at Dundee Utd. To go away, to Ibrox, stop Rangers scoring... this is a massive massive task for Malmo and Noelvilla et al and their fans will have everything crossed. 

A little something educational (source: Google): 

MFF:

Fans of Malmö FF are called MFF:are (the word is the same in singular and plural).

and some context below, cut and pasted directly from https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58137804
Champions League third qualifying round second leg: Rangers v Malmo
Venue: Ibrox Date: Tuesday, 10 August Time: 20:00 BST

Steven Gerrard says Rangers can "flip the mood" with victory against Malmo on Tuesday.

Rangers have lost two in a row after the Swedes opened up a 2-1 lead in the Champions League qualifying tie before Dundee United inflicted Rangers' first league defeat in 17 months.

Jon Dahl Tomasson's Malmo warmed up for the return leg at Ibrox with a 0-0 draw with Halmstads.

"We only need one performance to light the fire again," said Gerrard.

"We're two games in in terms of the league and one game in in terms of Europe. It's still very early days. We won't use any excuses. The last two performances haven't been to the level that we've set.

"Our Ibrox form in terms of European games has been pretty strong. I expect a good performance and we can flip the mood of the previous seven days with a real strong performance and the result that we want. We can change it pretty quickly."

With Scotland's Covid-19 restrictions easing this week, Rangers have been given permission for a capacity crowd, which will be a first at Ibrox since the March 2020 defeat by Bayer Leverkusen.

And Gerrard added: "We haven't played in front of a full house at Ibrox for a long time. We're really looking forward to it.

"I called on them after last week's game. The fans will be full of passion for the boys. We've got to give them a performance to match that."

Team news

Glen Kamara and Kemar Roofe remain suspended for the hosts but Leon Balogun returns from his European ban.

Alfredo Morelos missed the first leg as he quarantined on return from the Copa America but the Colombia striker came through 82 minutes of Saturday's 1-0 loss at Dundee United.

Ianis Hagi and Fashion Sakala are fit again, leaving Ryan Jack and Nikola Katic as the only injury absentees.

What did we learn from the first leg?

After shading an uneventful first half, Rangers were caught napping at the start of the second half in Sweden, conceding twice inside three minutes.

The Ibrox side were rusty in possession against a side well into their domestic season and failed to cause the well-drilled Malmo defence many problems but they did find a second wind late in the game and Steven Davis' last-gasp strike could be invaluable.

What they said

Rangers midfielder Steven Davis: "We all know and accept that we underperformed at the weekend. There's no panic. We know we need to be better.

"We expect an electrifying atmosphere with the fans behind us but it's important to remain calm. We want that intensity, that controlled aggression but you have to play with a cool head as well. I think we're at our best when we get that balance right and play with control.

"I didn't think there was a whole lot in the first leg. It's going to be another tight game.

"Malmo are a good team. They played with cohesion, defended well and obviously carry a threat. But we have to have belief that if we get to the level we know we can then we have a good opportunity to get through."

Malmo midfielder Anders Christiansen: "We have to deal with Rangers' energy, especially in the first part of the game.

"If we can keep the ball like we did in Malmo and create chances then we will have a good chance.

"We can't defend for 90 minutes, if you do that it can be a long game. Our strength is to attack and try to score some goals."

• Like 1

Lifted directly from the Daily Record (Scottish newspaper, source if wanted : https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jondahltomasson-veiled-rangers-cash-dig-24723468 , bit of sensationalism to the article's slant but he's not wrong, picked out a couple of things :

Malmo boss John Dahl Tomasson reckons the heat is on Rangers – because the Scottish champs need the Champions League cash.

The Swedes are looking to finish the job in Glasgow on the back of last week’s shock 2-1 first leg win and their manager laughed off suggestions his men will be under pressure protecting their lead.

Gers need to win by two clear goals with the away goal rule scrapped this season and former Denmark star Tomasson aimed a cheeky pop at the Light Blues on the eve of the showdown.

When asked who was under the most pressure to qualify, he said: “Don’t you think that they need the Champions League ’s money here? I think so. I think they need that. I think that’s a good answer, isn’t it? I think you all are clever lads so you understand it.

“We got a good result last week but if it had been 2-0 it would have been an incredible result. Rangers are the big favourites in this game.

“If you look at the finances then we can’t compare the two teams.

“My players are motivated for a game against a very good side.

“Rangers have some excellent players and a great manager and it is good to see them back where they belong.

“It will be a challenge but we are up for it and we will do our best.”

Malmo have been the scourge of Scottish sides in recent times – dumping Rangers out of the Champions League qualifiers when they were last at this stage a decade ago before knocking out Ronny Delia’s Celtic and embarrassing Hibs 9-0 on aggregate in the Europa League.

But Tomasson challenged his class of 2021 to create another shock on Scottish soil.

He said: “For our supporters it’s always fine to have that history because it’s a walk down memory lane of big results.
“I think this Glasgow Rangers side is better than 10 years ago so I don’t use that much energy regarding that.

“We won last week and everyone of my players should think about writing a new chapter in the history of Malmo.

“They have technical players with lovely skill and power and running capacity. It’s a good side and not just the first XI. They actually have two teams that are good.

“We have to do the right things with the ball as well as defending. The first game was a solid game by us against a big favourite. We saw where the space was in that game and hopefully we can take advantage of that space even more.

“Every player and manager lives for big moments in big game. It is a huge game so first of all enjoy it.

“It’s lovely that we have come through the first round of qualification and the ambition for the club was to get to the group stages in Europe.
“We have done that so we are allowed to dream now.”

Tomasson insisted his side won’t be scared by a packed Ibrox – and they’ll even relish being booed again.
He said: “I think the fans are looking forward to that as well. They’ve missed it.

Â