Let's check in with Olof (Swedish Football)

Midfielder

IFK Göteborg beating AIK 1-0 by a 90th minute own goal. Nothing sweeter :D 

Did not watch but beating AIK is my favorite thing in football.

Absolutely ridiculous thou that AIK were playing their 6th game in 14 days or something like that (cup included), that's just deeply unfair towards AIK.

Apparently the game was terrible as well, players just waiting for it to end.

• 4 weeks later...

IFK Göteborg wins the Swedish Cup final against Malmö FF. Woop woop! :hooray:

Now I get to enjoy them crashing out in the first qualifying round to the Europa League against some plucky team from Gibraltar or the Faroe Islands.

• Like 2

Red card for Mellberg today after protesting a yellow card for one of his players. He refused to acknowledge the card thou and stayed in his seat until the ref had a chat with him :D 

640@60.jpg

They ended up drawing the game 1-1 after conceding a really late goal.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pontus "Boom Boom" Wernbloom finally signs for Blåvitt again, a saga that's been dragging on for years. He's 34 by now and has hardly played for 2 seasons but he's still a cult hero and will be a lift for the club. Remains to be seem if he's to be used in midfield or if he goes back to playing in attack as he did a bit in his early days. He is pretty good in the box and not fun to play against for the defenders. No idea about his level now thou.

Apparently they are also about to sign a young LB from Malmö FF's youth set up called Yahya Kalley. A position that is really weak at Blåvitt.

• 3 weeks later...

Sad to see so many players leaving Sweden at such a young age. In the last month or so a whole host of teenage talents have left for big clubs abroad. Must be close to 10 youth internationals that have left to join academies at AC Milan, Atalanta, Bologna, Frankfurt, Porto and a bunch more clubs just this summer. Next up is Apparently Jesper Tolinsson from IFK Göteborg.

I mean it's great for them to get the chance to develop at a top academy and I'd be delighted if the follow in the shoes of Dejan Kulusevski or Victor Nilsson-Lindelöf. But it's sad we don't get to watch them in the Allsvenskan and that the clubs that develop these kids only get a fraction of the money they could and should. And there is always the risk that they end up like the last 2 that IFK sold in Benjaming Nygren and Pontus Dahlberg who got never got a look in at Genk and Watford. A year more in Allsvenskan would have been much better but IFK are desperate for cash. Dahlberg is back in Sweden on loan but at Hacken instead.

Anyway, best of luck to them. And while on the subject I really hope we scout that fantastic Brommapojkarna generation that is destroying all the top clubs in the world currently in their age class. Overall Brommapojkarna is a fantastic club when it comes to youth football.

Edited by sne

• 4 weeks later...

Mellberg shown a red card on the bench for the second time this season  

His team Helsingborg currently in the relegation play off spot with 7 games left of the season after conceding a goal in the 93rd minute against Mjällby and losing 3-2

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Devastating loss for Mellberg and his Helsingborg at the bottom of the table against fellow strugglers IFK Göteborg (yay!). They are dead last with 3 games to go and realistically the play off is the best they can hope for.

IFK move up to slightly safer ground, if only just.

Oh, and Malmö clinch the title so congrats to them. Fully deserved and fully expected.

• Confused 1

Pretty sweet show of support from the IFK fans today. No fans in the stadiums but they organized so that they had fans on pretty much all the bridges the team bus went under on their way to Helsingborg. Almost makes you cry.

gbg.jpg

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty extraordinary first half in Norrköping where the home team has been awarded and scored from 3 penalties within the first 30 mins.

Good news for Mellberg and his Helsingborg, and also for me and Blåvitt.

Olof Mellberg and his Helsingborg relegated from the top flight with 1 round still to play.

Shame for him but I won't miss Helsingborg.

Mellberg has now resigned/left Helsingborg.

Edited by sne
  • Sad 1

Olof Mellberg failed with the task of making Helsingborgs IF a stable all-Swedish team.

Now he chooses to answer questions for the first time about how the decision to leave the club arose.

- It was on my initiative. I spoke to the board quite early after the match on Monday, already in the evening, says Mellberg.

For Mellberg, it was a given to say thank you and goodbye with the relegation.

- It would have been a completely different situation if we had survived. I think we would have had very good chances to aim high in the Allsvenskan if we had the opportunity to build on from here. We did a big reorganization with many new people in the club a year ago. It takes some time before it settles. Unfortunately, there will be a reorganization again now.

Why was it out of the question to follow down to the Superettan?

- I had not really had any problems with it myself. I feel a great desire for revenge and some things that we have built up could have been kept. But to have this in the luggage. I think there will be something negative that comes with then and it can affect the group. I think it's better for someone else to come in with new energy.

What lessons have you and the club learned from this difficult season?

- It has been an incredibly educational season in lots of ways and we do not really have time to go through all the lessons. I only have first or last places in my coaching career. I have won two series and come last in one, depending on how it goes here in the final round. This last place I think will have been much more useful and instructive than the two first places I had. You learn a lot in adversity and it has been a special season with the corona virus with a training plan, match schedule, injuries and a large turnover of players. It is some kind of record in the club how many players we have walked around. Its a challenge

Have you already started thinking about the next step?

- No I have not. I actually do not right now. We'll see what happens.

Do you want to continue with football?

- I have enjoyed myself very well in our environment and I enjoy being a coach very much. I have seen tremendous opportunities to develop all the time. It's only fun if you win, but you can still enjoy the challenge and the task, and I have done that. Then it becomes heavy and sad when it becomes as it becomes.

Was it a yes?

- Yes, I have enjoyed the role of head coach so I can definitely imagine continuing like that. Then we will see what opportunities you get. It is not positive on a CV to have a last place in the Allsvenskan but I think as I said it taught me more than my two first places.

https://www.expressen.se/kvallsposten/sport/fotboll/allsvenskan/vore-en-helt-annan-situation-om-vi-hade-klarat-oss-kvar/

Google translate ftw

• Thanks 1

Â