PC Builds

Tayls

Has anyone built their own PC? Thinking about having a go at putting one together instead of buying one, both from a learning point of view and to have that sense of achievement! Bit nervous about a couple of stages though...

It's been a few years since I've last done it but it's not especially difficult. It's basically expensive Lego. Provided you buy the right components (i.e. compatible motherboard/CPU/RAM etc) and take your time, everything just slots together.

I'll throw some links out which may be useful. 

https://m.reddit.com/r/buildapc/  The PC build subreddit, everyone seems to like it. 

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/forum/63-building-pcs/  rllmuk is a uk gaming forum. The PC guide forum is pretty active  

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1222740&page=1 same thing on GAF. More US/international focussed. 

I've got my list of components that I put together using PCpartpicker - it checks compatability for you but I'm fairly clued up on the component side of things. The only thing I'm not 100% sure is what relevance the chipset on a video card has? 

My main concern is cabling. Bit worried about where I am slotting all the case cables (power, LEDs etc) on the mobo. I'm also not completely sure about what to do once I have put it all together, as assuming I would need to install all the drivers, check the bios is up to date and then install the OS. Want to make sure I take full advantage of what my spec has to offer and set it up correctly. (PC will mainly be used for some video editing and general use, no gaming etc). 

Loving the videos by Carey Holzman on YouTube at the minute though. 

Cheers for those links Rev, will check them out. 

Ram is Corsair hyper 2100 ddr3 x2 8gb

Samsung x2 1tb ssd

motherboard msi z97 gaming 3 ms-7918

Processor

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz

Video Card

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770

Operating System

Microsoft Windows 10 (build 10586), 64-bit

Corsair Hydro 110 (water cooling)

Corsair case (Carbide)

1000watt EVO Modular power supply 

Boots in 2/3 seconds with everything loaded

Playing Witcher 3 on Ultra without any issues at all

LG Ultrawide (HDMI) monitor 2560x1080

17 hours ago, Tayls said:

I've got my list of components that I put together using PCpartpicker - it checks compatability for you but I'm fairly clued up on the component side of things. The only thing I'm not 100% sure is what relevance the chipset on a video card has? 

Absolutely none, in terms of compatibility with other components.

My main concern is cabling. Bit worried about where I am slotting all the case cables (power, LEDs etc) on the mobo. I'm also not completely sure about what to do once I have put it all together, as assuming I would need to install all the drivers, check the bios is up to date and then install the OS. Want to make sure I take full advantage of what my spec has to offer and set it up correctly. (PC will mainly be used for some video editing and general use, no gaming etc). 

How are you installing drivers without the OS? :P I'll assume you're using Windows (sorry Limpid), which for the past couple of versions is excellent at using the correct drivers for your hardware during installation. They're not always the latest ones, so it can't hurt to check at thew manufacturer's website, but they're rarely far behind, Windows updates is fantastic with third party drivers these days.

I have never updated my BIOS without having a very specific problem with it, that a later version is known to fix. Updating BIOS is never going to make your PC faster, it may fix some obscure bugs that you don't know that you have, at the risk of introducing more. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You basically just have to plug things in the right place, turn it on, install the OS, and you're done. It's worth watching some videos for the build part, mostly for some tips about cabling, it can get pretty messy. Think about where you're going to route the cables in advance so you don't end up with them anywhere near the fans.

Just now, Davkaus said:

I'll assume you're using Windows (sorry Limpid)

It's not me you need to apologise to. You shouldn't wish windows on anybody.

• Like 2

On 10 July 2016 at 13:56, ermie123 said:

Ram is Corsair hyper 2100 ddr3 x2 8gb

Samsung x2 1tb ssd

motherboard msi z97 gaming 3 ms-7918

Processor

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz

Video Card

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770

Operating System

Microsoft Windows 10 (build 10586), 64-bit

Corsair Hydro 110 (water cooling)

Corsair case (Carbide)

1000watt EVO Modular power supply 

Boots in 2/3 seconds with everything loaded

Playing Witcher 3 on Ultra without any issues at all

LG Ultrawide (HDMI) monitor 2560x1080

Nice man. When did you put that together? 

How was the corsair case to work on, I've been looking at this one-  Corsair CC-9011074-W W Graphite Series 760T V2. 

• Like 1

Corsair cases are insanely spacious even in the smaller cases they make.

I have the Corsair Carbide 300R and while I wouldn't recommend the case as it is a little too small, it still features the industry leading build quality Corsair delivers.

I have heard some glowingly positive things about the Corsair Graphite 760T, there aren't many cases better in that kind of price point.  

On 7/9/2016 at 20:35, Tayls said:

Has anyone built their own PC? Thinking about having a go at putting one together instead of buying one, both from a learning point of view and to have that sense of achievement! Bit nervous about a couple of stages though...

Try Carey Holzman's channel on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/c/careyholzman/videos)

The videos are long but he doesn't edit much out, if anything, and definitely demystifies the process.

I would recommend watching as many builds as it takes to fix things in your mind and then you won't be stopping and trying to remember what to do next. 

11 hours ago, Tayls said:

Nice man. When did you put that together? 

How was the corsair case to work on, I've been looking at this one-  Corsair CC-9011074-W W Graphite Series 760T V2. 

Earlier this year the corsair cases are brilliant, lots of space and quality parts.  Had to buy it all bit by bit, but well satisfied now i dont think i could make it better to be honest, yes could change ram and video card, but wouldn't really give me any more bang for my buck so to speak

• 1 month later...

Rather than start a new thread, I'll see if I can hijack this one for my own means.

I've been asked to find a gaming PC for under £500. Even though I've worked in I.T. for 20 years, I've no idea what would be required to run games these days. No idea what games either. Something middle of the road, I guess for the price. 

So, where do I look and what do I look out for?

Thanks all, in advance.

4 hours ago, choffer said:

Rather than start a new thread, I'll see if I can hijack this one for my own means.

I've been asked to find a gaming PC for under £500. Even though I've worked in I.T. for 20 years, I've no idea what would be required to run games these days. No idea what games either. Something middle of the road, I guess for the price. 

Thanks all, in advance.

I'm not a PC gamer so I could be very wrong, but for under £500, it's going to be a tough ask. Most gaming PCs probably contain video cards that are worth £250 on their own - at least. Then you need to think about decent RAM etc on top. Might be worth building one using mainly second hand parts, maybe? Actually, I reckon if you went to somewhere like Maplin, they may have set components that you can assemble together to make a gaming rig...won't be amazing but, will do a job. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, choffer said:

Thanks all, in advance.

This has been linked many times, but look here. Another forum, but has some tips for buying components and gives a few example builds for different builds - it's cheapest just comes in under £500.

Glass Joe -- around £470, excluding OS

This is the cheapest computer I could really recommend for gaming. It still uses high quality components and will play a lot of modern games well at 1920x1080. You will have to dial settings down in some titles, but that's the price you pay for having a tight budget

Edit - Linked so often it's on this very page! @The_Rev

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 2

Â