The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

In Britain, it is somebody shouting something nasty on a bus.

That's disingenuous. 

Firstly, 'somebody shouting something nasty on a bus' is ridiculously simplistic and doesn't tell a whole story.

Secondly, that implies it makes news purely because of the incident. Whereas, 99/100 'somebody shouting something nasty on a bus' makes the national news because it was recorded and uploaded to social media and goes viral.

The comparison is invalid IMO.

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Do you believe:

a] that teachers are mentally or genetically different to other members of the adult population, or

b] that the recruitment process for teachers 'selects' for bone-idle whingers?

I'm assuming as most of them were students at some point that B must be the obvious answer :)

ah well , that's more hate Mail heading my way as I hide behind an attempt at a joke ...

15 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

That's disingenuous. 

Firstly, 'somebody shouting something nasty on a bus' is ridiculously simplistic and doesn't tell a whole story.

Secondly, that implies it makes news purely because of the incident. Whereas, 99/100 'somebody shouting something nasty on a bus' makes the national news because it was recorded and uploaded to social media and goes viral.

The comparison is invalid IMO.

It is worth reading the article especially the bit about the Hate Crime Operational Guidance and Perception-based recording of hate crime (and the non-crimes called hate 'incidents').

Edit: I do question his claim early on in it that 'they [ethnic minorities] are more likely than whites to hold top jobs (doctors, lawyers, chief executives)'.

Edited by snowychap

6 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It is worth reading the article especially the bit about the Hate Crime Operational Guidance and Perception-based recording of hate crime.

I was only disputing the line Tony posted, how 'shouting something nasty on a bus' makes 'national news' as opposed to burning down a mosque in France.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

One of them, for example, assumed that, whilst triggering will take place we'd still be part of the EU in H2 2016 to 2017. So I don't believe that the MS analysts definitely included the assumption of an immediate triggering of A50 in their own research.

Surely that confirms the the opposite of  - they did assume triggering would take place pretty much immediately? We remain part of the EU until after triggering + 2 years.

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

teachers and students have been the staple diet of running VT gags since before you even joined this web site

Only by you, Tony, and "gags" maybe flatters yourself a bit. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I was only disputing the line Tony posted, how 'shouting something nasty on a bus' makes 'national news' as opposed to burning down a mosque in France.

I agree. It's a silly, flippant comparison - if Brendan O'Neill wanted to make a better one then he'd have maybe compared the mosque in France incident to Zack Davies.

Dr Sarandev Bhambra was struck in the head with a machete in a supermarket by Zack Davies while he shouted "white power" and "this is for Lee Rigby".

Davies has been found of guilty of attempted murder following the attack which took place in Mold, Wales, in January which left Dr Bhambra, 24, with "life-changing" injuries.

There is, however, a valid point to be found in what he talks about (with regard to hate crimes/hate incidents and the reporting of them) and he'd do better to concentrate on something serious rather than something just to grab a headline and provoke comment.

Edited by snowychap

29 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

ah well , that's more hate Mail heading my way as I hide behind an attempt at a joke ...

Isn't it accepted wisdom that if you find yourself having to tell people that you're telling them a joke, your absolute best-case scenario is that the joke just isn't really worth telling?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, blandy said:

Only by you, Tony, and "gags" maybe flatters yourself a bit. 

So I'm the only one whose ever done a teacher post ....yeah right O :rolleyes:

But let me guess ... posting something you blatantly know not to be true whilst having a little dig at someone is within the rules so I have no grounds to be upset 

22 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Isn't it accepted wisdom that if you find yourself having to tell people that you're telling them a joke, your absolute best-case scenario is that the joke just isn't really worth telling?

Have you been asleep for the past few months ? 

• Like 1

As fascinating as teachers are (to themselves)... did anyone see the Theresa May interview on Sky this morning - I didn't - where she apparently confirmed it's going to be cheerio to the single market? 

33 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I agree. It's a silly, flippant comparison - if Brendan O'Neill wanted to make a better one then he'd have maybe compared the mosque in France incident to Zack Davies.

There is, however, a valid point to be found in what he talks about (with regard to hate crimes/hate incidents and the reporting of them) and he'd do better to concentrate on something serious rather than something just to grab a headline and provoke comment.

Tbf he didn't make that the headline , it just happened to be the paragraph I quoted 

59 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Do you believe:

a] that teachers are mentally or genetically different to other members of the adult population, or

b] that the recruitment process for teachers 'selects' for bone-idle whingers?

oooh, it's a trap!

is it c, genetically bone idle?

or d, no more or less special than social workers, prison officers, care assistants, zero hours cleaners, or a merchant marine pilot?

or e, the gift that keeps on giving?

For the record, I've only ever responded on the subject, never instigated it. But here we have the subject of teachers and teachers hours and persecution of teachers being kept alive yet again! I don't suppose you've ever been a teacher?

1 minute ago, Awol said:

As fascinating as teachers are (to themselves)... did anyone see the Theresa May interview on Sky this morning - I didn't - where she apparently confirmed it's going to be cheerio to the single market? 

Yep. She also said that she disputes the Red Cross re: NHS and dodged the question 'so you're prioritising immigration?' three times.

Just now, ml1dch said:

No, did I miss more of your great jokes that nobody seems to realise are jokes?

You seem to be confusing me with Stewert Lee

but  the period you slept through seemed to coincide with the period when it became law to take every post literally so you had to write "joke" or equiv after each post 

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yep. She also said that she disputes the Red Cross re: NHS and dodged the question 'so you're prioritising immigration?' three times.

NHS situation is obviously a disgrace, but glad she's confirmed we're leaving the SM.

They can save a lot of wasted time now by focusing on an FTA and suitable transitional arrangements. The EU was never going to accept SM membership without free movement and the UK Government couldn't accept that. 

It also weakens the EU negotiating position by removing one of the major threats they could deploy, i.e. 'We won't let you stay in the SM if you don't [insert smorgasbord of EU demands here]. 

Encouraging. 

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

Most people just signpost their jokes by making sure they're funny.

There's also a difference between a 'joke' and a flippant comment designed purely to get a rise out of someone.

Â