Melbourne and Wellington

choffer

So, I'm planning a February trip to see some friends in (near) Wellington, NZ. Hoping for about ten days with them and then four or five days seeing family in Melbourne on the way back. 

Any suggestions for things I should make time to see/do in either place? Ostensibly I'm there to see people rather than to do loads of sight-seeing but I'm hoping to find time to get out and about on my own for the odd day here or there. Any suggestions for either place would be welcome.

When I went to Melbourne I did the standard day trips, a trip to Phillip Island to see the penguins, stopping at a vineyard and koala sanctuary on the way, the MCG and of course the Neighbours tour.  Melbourne is brilliant for sport, not so much for beaches, though St Kilda is quite nice.  I was violently sick after stroking a python at the zoo there, so be warned.  Wellington I don't remember much about as I really just travelled through to see my parents.

• Like 1

When I went to Melbourne I did the standard day trips, a trip to Phillip Island to see the penguins, stopping at a vineyard and koala sanctuary on the way, the MCG and of course the Neighbours tour.  Melbourne is brilliant for sport, not so much for beaches, though St Kilda is quite nice.  I was violently sick after stroking a python at the zoo there, so be warned.  Wellington I don't remember much about as I really just travelled through to see my parents.

Unknown_zps78f8fdf3.jpeg

• Like 2

Wellington is a nice city. Do the walk up the mountain which overlooks the city (it's not a hard walk).

If you head to South Island, go to Queenstown and Franz Josef.

If you stay north island, go to rotorua. 

If you are in to Lord of the Rings, from Wellington go to Weta workshops.

There is loads to do and see in NZ, but you haven't much time there.

• Like 1

I grew up on Phillip Island and it's a lovely spot if you're into nature and that sort of thing. Great beaches too and a choice of sheltered or surf beaches. You really need a car to get the best out of it though.

Ballarat is worth a day trip or overnight trip if you are a bit of a history buff. There are natural mineral springs at Daylesford that are a decent day trip too.

• Like 1

Melbourne - I thought the Eureka tower was worth the money. There's a Bowie exhibition on at the mo' (or there was a couple of weeks ago). The Sea Life centre was pretty good too - just touristy things I know, but still pretty good. There's loads of good food and drink places, too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Like mentioned above, stuff to do around the city include Eureka tower, the MCG Tour and National Sports Musem. There's also a decent street-art scene if you're interested in that kinda thing. The trams within the city are now free so that's an easy way to get around (especially the City Circle tram which does loops of the city). The Botanic Gardens are nice and Queen Victoria Market is good for knickknacks. Outside the city, stuff like Phillip Island, Healesville Sanctuary, the Dandenong Ranges and Yarra Valley Wineries are good visits. Again, it comes down to how much time you have.

I grew up in Wellington before moving to Melbourne, so on that front I'd recommend the Te PaPa Museum (always loved that place as a kid) and visiting Mount Victoria. If you get time to go up north, you can visit the Hobbiton set at Matamata.

• Like 1

Â