The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

This ignores the trend of political allegiance - under 40s are not dyed in the wool of any party - they want to be inspired by a message. 

As an under 40, I'll take sensible policy ideas, basic administrative competence and coherent strategy over "inspired by a message" thankyouverymuch.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Well, presumably it just comes down to (without wanting to sound too Primary school) who started it.

You'll have to explain why Laura Murray felt the need to leap in, unprompted to something that didn't relate to her and (allegedly) libel someone.

To be honest, everyone involved strikes me as just needing a good clip round the ear, but I don't think there would have been lawyers involved anywhere if some angry people hadn't decided they wanted to be a bunch of dicks to somebody on the internet.

An argument costs nothing. But you can ruin someone through the costs of a legal case - this is what they did, intentionally. 

3 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

As an under 40, I'll take sensible policy ideas, basic administrative competence and coherent strategy over "inspired by a message" thankyouverymuch.

Did you vote Labour last election? Most under 40s did, by a large majority.

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

No. I voted for the party most likely to prevent a Conservative candidate winning, and succeeded in that goal.

Edited by ml1dch

7 minutes ago, Jareth said:

An argument costs nothing. But you can ruin someone through the costs of a legal case - this is what they did, intentionally. 

Well, while still taking in the parameters of the Murray case, maybe don't (allegedly) libel people. And then nobody gets ruined by the costs of a legal case.

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

You may want to reword that. Try most under 40s didn’t vote tory by a large majority. Under 40s that voted, voted labour by a small majority over other parties. 

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

Sorry, excuse me wilst I pick myself up off the floor and stitch my sides

From Cobynista to lib Dem is one hell of mental vote swing just because "I don't like the other half of the party".

One sniff of the sweaty sock of power and they'll be buying all the odour eaters £50 can buy

For me it's always been about genuinely exciting progressive policies. A vision for how to progress the world through some major challenges. I was on board with Jeremy Corbyn because he was the only one at the time who recognised these challenges and had proposed solutions for them. If that makes me a Corbynista then so be it.

Labour are currently rowing back on all these policies while Layla Moran is saying the same kind of things Corbyn was. Saying we need UBI, 4 day weeks, the environment emergency being front and centre. If Lib Dems are saying these things and Labour aren't, why wouldn't anyone just follow the policies away from Labour to Lib Dems? Or are you saying people should be blindly loyal to a party no matter how the policies change?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Well, while still taking in the parameters of the Murray case, maybe don't (allegedly) libel people. And then nobody gets ruined by the costs of a legal case.

The people pursued by Riley/Oberman got ruined - regardless of the rights or wrongs, at no jeopardy to Riley/Oberman. You can't spin that. 

12 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

You may want to reword that. Try most under 40s didn’t vote tory by a large majority. Under 40s that voted, voted labour by a small majority over other parties. 

5124622_Screenshot2020-08-07at20_56_41.thumb.png.ad2b9056142fdb438792615ad48b99d4.png

Also FFS - don't do a Trump when it comes to facts. 

Edited by Jareth

32 minutes ago, Jareth said:

This ignores the trend of political allegiance - under 40s are not dyed in the wool of any party - they want to be inspired by a message. To say that these voters will betray their instincts for power is frankly out of touch, by some measure. 

It's the voters that will be betrayed by the Lib Dems, it's not like they don't have form for this stretching back as far as I've had an intest in politics

I'm not dyed in the wool of any party, far from it as my bolitics posts will tell you

I just find a swing from Corbyn to a party that very recently propped up a Tory Govt and sold its soul to the devil (again!) quite hilarious

12 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Great - your local MP is powerless. 

Well, yes. Most of them are.

If "proximity to power of my representative" were my main concern, I'd have been better off voting for the Conservative candidate. Would that have been better?

1 minute ago, bickster said:

It's the voters that will be betrayed by the Lib Dems, it's not like they don't have form for this stretching back as far as I've had an intest in politics

I'm not dyed in the wool of any party, far from it as my bolitics posts will tell you

I just find a swing from Corbyn to a party that very recently propped up a Tory Govt and sold its soul to the devil (again!) quite hilarious

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be a dick - they certainly have a past, but things change, truly progressive policies are the future and for me it's a matter of who is willing to pursue them. 

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

How does that translate to the system of first past the post? You know, the system that elects parties to government? 

I was merely working off what you said that most over 40s voted labour by a large majority. 

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Ok - I said under, not over?

Yeah my error. But the message, you get that. It was a majority without question but as I said in the very first response, if you had said tories then it would be true. 

Â