The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I wouldn't be averse to Alladyce, he plays an effective brand of football and at times West Ham played some good stuff last season. I've been very lenient and positive toward Sherwood thus far and whilst I know it's still early I can't help but feel my support dwindling as he appears to look a little too out of his depth and naive, although I still believe he deserves more time.

On Allardyce, if he has the players at his disposal, is his football really that bad? I mean West Ham scored 44 last season and finished joint 11th, I don't think we'd complain if that was us this season or even next. If we are scoring goals are people going to be saying 'not happy with that, wasn't enough passes in the move', I highly doubt it. He has mainly managed at small clubs like Bolton and Blackburn where survival was the main goal, once he got a bit more money at a bigger club than those 2, West Ham, and brought in Valencia, Sakho, etc. I think there was an improvement.

Putting the results aside, the stats do seem to paint us as a better team than 18th best.

CP8J-ftW8AAhLFP.jpg:large

The players aren't doing too much wrong (individually), a lot of the points lost have been down to the manager unfortunately. 

I disagree, there have been some atricious pieces of individual play this season that have cost us. Guzan, Amavi, Clark, Lescott, Sanchez and Grealish have all been guilty of giving the ball away, poor positioning and poor decision making at times.

btw, lol at people not liking the way Barcelona play.

I guess fast, attacking football is dull.  Maybe that's why we need Allardyce!

Assuming this is aimed at me given the "there's no right way to play comment", I LOVE the way Barcelona play. If I could have Villa play one way, it would be that.

But I'm not naive enough to think we can suddenly turn a switch and play like that.

Like I said before, we have no room for luxuries. We need to establish ourselves in the league as opposed to fighting for our lives every year before we can worry about being entertaining.

I would much rather see Villa winning games than entertaining the masses given our current position.

Assuming this is aimed at me given the "there's no right way to play comment", I LOVE the way Barcelona play. If I could have Villa play one way, it would be that.

But I'm not naive enough to think we can suddenly turn a switch and play like that.

Like I said before, we have no room for luxuries. We need to establish ourselves in the league as opposed to fighting for our lives every year before we can worry about being entertaining.

I would much rather see Villa winning games than entertaining the masses given our current position.

No, someone specifically said "Barcelona bore me to tears", which consequently got liked.  I find that incredible :D

Wtf has big Sam got to do with the price of bread?  Read through 4 pages and he is mentioned in nearly every post.  

Its not individual performances we are having problems with, its Sherwoods inability to get them playing as a team due to the tatical mistakes he makes week in week out.  To pick up 1pt from Sunderland, Lecister, west brom is a sacking offense in itself

• Like 1

No, someone specifically said "Barcelona bore me to tears", which consequently got liked.  I find that incredible :D

Why? I don't agree with it, but I can see why some people don't like it. Long periods of possession with quite often no end product. It's defensive football of a completely different ilk.

I love it, but I can completely see why some people would prefer a more direct approach. You only have to hear the moans and groans of "GET IT FORWARD!!!!!!!!" at Villa park anytime anybody dares to pass the ball sideways to know that.

Why? I don't agree with it, but I can see why some people don't like it. Long periods of possession with quite often no end product. It's defensive football of a completely different ilk.

I love it, but I can completely see why some people would prefer a more direct approach. You only have to hear the moans and groans of "GET IT FORWARD!!!!!!!!" at Villa park anytime anybody dares to pass the ball sideways to know that.

Quite often no end product :D

Is this actually a discussion or are you just putting random smileys to egg me on?

Yes, often no end product.

You have long periods of the game where they just hold onto the ball. They don't end up scoring or even getting a chance, but it nullifies the opponent because they can't get the ball. It is defensive football at it's finest.

Of course, they score goals as well, which is what makes them so good. And when they score it's often attractive football. But the beauty of how Barcelona and Spain play is the keep ball element which can be incredibly frustrating for neutrals.

• Like 2

watching us lose this season is not as bad as watching us lose last season under Lambert, very odd thing to say I know. The thing that is pissing me off is that personally I think we are only 3 decisions away from getting things right and hopefully those decisions will be made

watching us lose this season is not as bad as watching us lose last season under Lambert, very odd thing to say I know. The thing that is pissing me off is that personally I think we are only 3 decisions away from getting things right and hopefully those decisions will be made

I agree. But that's not the comparison I was making.

Would I rather us play boring and lose or entertaining and lose? Obviously the latter

Would I rather us play boring and win or entertaining and lose? Obviously the former.

Is this actually a discussion or are you just putting random smileys to egg me on?

You have long periods of the game where they just hold onto the ball. They don't end up scoring or even getting a chance, but it nullifies the opponent because they can't get the ball. It is defensive football at it's finest.

Of course, they score goals as well, which is what makes them so good. And when they score it's often attractive football. But the beauty of how Barcelona and Spain play is the keep ball element which can be incredibly frustrating for neutrals.

I'm not going further because I genuinely think I'm being trolled.

Barcelona aren't defensive in the slightest.  They do keep possession so well, but they're an attacking team.  To call them "boring" or "defensive" just means you don't (one doesn't) watch them.  That's fine, but honestly :D

Back on topic, I'd rather stick with Sherwood than risk Allardyce.  I just can't see why we'd sack our manager yet.

I'm not going further because I genuinely think I'm being trolled.

Barcelona aren't defensive in the slightest.  They do keep possession so well, but they're an attacking team.  To call them "boring" or "defensive" just means you don't (one doesn't) watch them.  That's fine, but honestly :D

Back on topic, I'd rather stick with Sherwood than risk Allardyce.  I just can't see why we'd sack our manager yet.

Let's leave it there then because you're obviously not reading my posts as I've already explained this. I didn't call them boring or a defensive team. merely that there is a defensive element to their game that can be frustrating for neutrals. You've said as much yourself.

If you don't think there's a huge defensive element to the way Barcelona play then you're missing a massive reason why they're such a good team.

PS, the point remains that we are a million miles away from even dreaming of being able to play that way.

Edited by Stevo985

I agree. But that's not the comparison I was making.

Would I rather us play boring and lose or entertaining and lose? Obviously the latter

Would I rather us play boring and win or entertaining and lose? Obviously the former.

Ah right, yup agree with you 100% on the last sentence.

• Like 1

Putting the results aside, the stats do seem to paint us as a better team than 18th best.

The players aren't doing too much wrong (individually), a lot of the points lost have been down to the manager unfortunately. 

I disagree, there have been some atricious pieces of individual play this season that have cost us. Guzan, Amavi, Clark, Lescott, Sanchez and Grealish have all been guilty of giving the ball away, poor positioning and poor decision making at times.

you misunderstand me, I'm talking about general play.

This is why I keep saying defenders get judged on their mistakes rather than on what they do well.  You can be Barcelona, but if you've got a liability at the back you'll top every stat sheet except the one that matters.

However, what it DOES show is that we are not a million miles from being a good side and if we can plug that gap then we should be OK.

• Like 2

Would not oppose to Fat Sam if Sherwood cant turn it around. He hasnt really failed anywhere he has been.

The thing was last season I thought it was a player mentality thing so we invested in a brand new side but yet same occurances. Is the shirt too much pressure for these lads?

you misunderstand me, I'm talking about general play.

Is the 'general play' not down to how the manager has set us up though? I'd say individual errors or play have been the main factor for us in terms of points dropped e.g. Lescott and Bacuna chuckle brother act against Leicester, our players not being able to put away a host of chances against Sunderland and the Amavi-Guzan fiasco at Palace. 

Â