Free range Lentil, anyone? - The green party

blandy

On 04/05/2024 at 08:34, mjmooney said:

For anyone that knows Leeds, the Headingley/Hyde Park result will be no great surprise, but the other two are astonishing. I can only think it must be down to a Gaza protest vote by Muslim voters. 

Looks like you were right as the winning candidate is a Muslim who unveiled a Palestine flag and screamed allahu Akbar when it was announced he won.

Perfectly normal behaviour in a local election.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Looks like you were right as the winning candidate is a Muslim who unveiled a Palestine flag and screamed allahu Akbar when it was announced he won.

Perfectly normal behaviour in a local election.

I look forward to him sorting the Palestine problem out. 

With a bit of luck he might take a look at making sure the bins are emptied too. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Jareth said:

There is no tribalism anymore, says Starmer. So why exactly do we have an opposition? What the actual hell is happening right now? I've considered voting Green, that's how bad it is. 

Do you know what. I'd say Green is a pretty good protest vote right now.  If they get a big enough share at least the main parties might start to think they have to take the climate change thing seriously. That way at least my as yet unborn Grandkids might have a chance. 

27 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Do you know what. I'd say Green is a pretty good protest vote right now.  If they get a big enough share at least the main parties might start to think they have to take the climate change thing seriously. That way at least my as yet unborn Grandkids might have a chance. 

They have the most appalling policy on things like justice and policing, they aren't fit to govern, BUT - would.

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

They have the most appalling policy on things like justice and policing, they aren't fit to govern, BUT - would.

I can't get on with their objection to HS2. A green party against replacing car motorway journeys with railway journeys just makes no sense to me and shows a lack of clear thought through arguments. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I can't get on with their objection to HS2. A green party against replacing car motorway journeys with railway journeys just makes no sense to me and shows a lack of clear thought through arguments. 

It's crap isn't it - that we have to look to the weirdo dinner party swingers with their two leaders, in order that we feel our vote matters. Frickin balls. 

On the Greens, I reckon that a bit of a shock is going to come when they realise that they are about 40% elderly, National Trust, NIMBY Tories and 60% disaffected Corbynites unhappy with Starmer. 

If they continue to grow, going to be hard to keep that voting coalition following a coherent message.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

On the Greens, I reckon that a bit of a shock is going to come when they realise that they are about 40% elderly, National Trust, NIMBY Tories and 60% disaffected Corbynites unhappy with Starmer. 

If they continue to grow, going to be hard to keep that voting coalition following a coherent message.

I'm a corbynite, the greens are not a natural option

26 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Well, the biggest, most active  group will simply win, as their policies are effectively selected by direct democracy, aren't they? Which is fine when you're a tiny irrelevant party being joined by people who identify with your current platform, but can very easily lead to disaffected groups joining from elsewhere, hijacking the party and parading around wearing the skin of the Greens.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jareth said:

It seems to be where the Owen Jones / Matt Zarb-Cousin types are congregating.

57 minutes ago, sidcow said:

But HS2 was a con. I know we’ve been around this before and people try to argue it was going to free up capacity elsewhere, but it was a money pit of an idea to get people to London faster, with some spin off that some people in Wolverhampton would accidentally benefit in a decade or so’s time.

HS2 was one of the worst fake infrastructure projects ever. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jareth said:

No they are, it’s where lunatic policies go to die

Just now, ml1dch said:

It seems to be where the Owen Jones / Matt Zarb-Cousin types are congregating.

Fair dos - to them - i remember when Jones was calling on the mob to storm a London police station - my friend worked there, I thought it was despicable - a rebel without a cause, he is smart when he wants and can give a counter narrative well, but he's unstable and does not represent me or folks who lean left - it's very easy to channel this guy and smear the rest. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Genuine question, because I'm not familiar. What's this about? Was it just a money pit for big construction and shoving more people into the City? 

19 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

Genuine question, because I'm not familiar. What's this about? Was it just a money pit for big construction and shoving more people into the City? 

Yes, basically in its simplest form, yes.

You then look at the work around the country that wasn’t done because of the money diverted away from a thousand smaller projects, the land deals, the brain drain to London for the Londoncentric first years of the project, the deliberate under reporting of budget adjustments… the obvious instant shrinking back of the ambition once the London bit was confirmed. It could be seen from day one how this was playing out. Borderline fraudulent.

42 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yes, basically in its simplest form, yes.

You then look at the work around the country that wasn’t done because of the money diverted away from a thousand smaller projects, the land deals, the brain drain to London for the Londoncentric first years of the project, the deliberate under reporting of budget adjustments… the obvious instant shrinking back of the ambition once the London bit was confirmed. It could be seen from day one how this was playing out. Borderline fraudulent.

Thank you, appreciate that. Is that a view that's generally well held across all spectrums? (again, genuine Q)

8 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

But HS2 was a con. I know we’ve been around this before and people try to argue it was going to free up capacity elsewhere, but it was a money pit of an idea to get people to London faster, with some spin off that some people in Wolverhampton would accidentally benefit in a decade or so’s time.

Yes we've been around this before and I completely disagree with you. 

• Like 2

Just now, T-Dog said:

Thank you, appreciate that. Is that a view that's generally well held across all spectrums? (again, genuine Q)

I think lots of people could see it wasn’t the best planned best explained project ever, but still kept faith in it a little longer than they should have.

I think maybe my opinion on it has been the more cynical end of the spectrum. 

HS2 is a bit like communism. Absolutely great idea on the back of a fag packet.

But, once the Tories get involved they leech every pence out of anything above the M25 and give it to Bromley owning, Coldplay album owning puntclaps.

Â