Free range Lentil, anyone? - The green party

blandy

Thread started for discussion of those nice gentle Green party ones. Not like the other nasty lying Blue, yellow and red ones, or the purple nutters.

They're getting more popular as well now. All will be swept before them (and then recycled).

• Like 3

This is the kind of stuff which is important to me:

Working

Zero VAT on bikes or running equipment to encourage more people to cycle or run to work.

Businesses required to provide flexible working times if at all possible for people using sustainable transport to commute.

Businesses able to apply for grants to install showers and exercise equipment at their premises.

Cars and roads

Scrap confusing and antiquated car tax and insurance, and introduce flat rate levy on fuel which pays for community pot for insurance. Fast driving or polluting cars will automatically use more fuel and will be paying more, encouraging sustainable transport.

All new roads to be dual use car and cycle routes with full segregation.

Many existing roads, national parks, towpaths etc. to be turned into cycle ‘superhighways’.

Laws clarified and more focus in driving test regarding car and bike etiquette when sharing infrastructure.

Health Service

Local GP surgeries to become health centres where all aspects of health and wellbeing are catered for.

Double the amount of physiotherapists available and cut waiting times, allowing drop-in for physiotherapy.

Personal coaches to be stationed at health centres who can provide personal plans, health analysis, help and advice without waiting times.

Some procedures currently classed as cosmetic but which affect body image to be available on the NHS again.

Are the Greens aligned to any of that?

Nice plug ;)

More of a 'can't be arsed to type stuff out again so will just paste from something I've already written' than a plug, which would have meant me posting the link to my site.

But now you mention it... ;)

They do however would immediately can any nuclear power stations and aim to decommission all fossil fuel stations by 2030, which unless we invade Germany and steal all their money is not a viable option. 

We could invade the Swiss though, they wouldn't be able to hold off. 

Also they would shut down the MoD in favour of a Home Defence Force. 

Quite how they imagine retraining 100k+ employed people I am not sure. 

They do have some nice fringe policies as outlined above. 

Cycling is a big potential for smaller cities like Coventry etc. Just needs someone with a few hundred million and some big balls to get it developed. 

one of my problems with the Green Party is something that is becoming more and more apparent locally

they don't want nuclear fuel, in itself a fairly standard view

they also don't want fracking, well, again that's quite a popular view

we have to move away from coal and oil, ok, yep no shock news there

but locally they've also opposed a local power station big enough to run the town, which would burn waste - nope, opposed to that

there was a planning application for a power station burning wood chip waste from forestry - nope, opposed that

there is a plan to build a barrage to harness wave and tidal power - nope, that will have an adverse affect on wading birds

is the plan to be anti everything and mop up every nimby grouping without them noticing they will, by default, be using far more tallow candles in 10 years time?

I know buttercups and wading birds are really nice to look at, but I'm just not sure we can run an economy on individual garden mounted wind turbines.

Happy to be put right on the energy side of things by those that know, here to learn.

Exactly. 

There should be a good mix of energy sources, and you could rapidly close down fossil fuels and slowly build up renewables, but the only crutch is Nuclear. There's just NO other way to do it. 

Not unless UK PLC somehow gets about two  trillion pounds from somewhere.

The greens should perhaps have some representation if not only to help with policy on Climate change. 

Like with the opposition, until you are in power and see the figures you can say whatever you like. 

I think when they look at what they have to play with and the restrictions running a country represents their manifesto would get bummed to bits. 

They would say scrapping trident and whole sale cancellation of the MoD would save enough.... but it wouldn't. not when you add another 100,000 unemployed to the list and have to spend millions on retraining and rehoming, shutting down bases in multiple countries and ripping up a whole load of international trade agreements which would seriously piss people like Saudi Arabia off. 

Exactly. 

There should be a good mix of energy sources, and you could rapidly close down fossil fuels and slowly build up renewables, but the only crutch is Nuclear. There's just NO other way to do it. 

Not unless UK PLC somehow gets about two  trillion pounds from somewhere.

The greens should perhaps have some representation if not only to help with policy on Climate change. 

Like with the opposition, until you are in power and see the figures you can say whatever you like. 

I think when they look at what they have to play with and the restrictions running a country represents their manifesto would get bummed to bits. 

They would say scrapping trident and whole sale cancellation of the MoD would save enough.... but it wouldn't. not when you add another 100,000 unemployed to the list and have to spend millions on retraining and rehoming, shutting down bases in multiple countries and ripping up a whole load of international trade agreements which would seriously piss people like Saudi Arabia off. 

Scrapping Trident, reducing the armed forces to some kind of national guard, opening the borders and allowing people to join terrorist organisations if they wish aren't amongst their finest ideas.

• Like 1

But this is the greenest government ever so why vote green?!

The greens will get the old lib dem protest vote. The rest of the lib dem protest vote will go to UKIP for a large amount of people who seemingly never knew that they were pro Europe.

Might get about 4% of the vote and a couple of seats.

Â