Can Vas re-gain his England place?

irishmangiant

Can Darius win his England place for the next international?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Can Darius win his England place for the next international?

• Yes
    • No

Recently we have seen the return of Darius Vassell, quite rightly, to the starting line up. Quite frankly the lad has returned bigger and better!!

I've been encouraged mostly with the performances of two key figures recently, those of Martin Laursen and indeed Darius.

The reason i'm especially pleased with Darius is the way in which he puts himself around and makes himself a nuisance to the opposition. Not only this but recently he's been challenging EVERYTHING in the air. I couldn't believe it yesterday when he steamed up behind robinson. .. ran all the way round him, goal side and won a header, consequently winning back posession. He fully deserved his goal and on the last few performances I think he can earn his England place back very soon!

I think that Vass has a good chance of being in the squad for the tour of the USA especially with the expected drop out of Owen etc. Lets hope if he does get the chance he takes it like he did against Holland that time

I don't think there's a quicker English striker in the game than Darius (and that includes Owen), so there'll always be a place for him in the squad, if only to give options to the manager. I do think he'll regain his place in the England squad simply because no-one else can offer what he offers. Hopefully he starts to regularly score the goals now that he seems to have a hunger for the remainder of the season.

You also make a good point about him returning "bigger". I noticed that his shoulders seem half a foot wider than before he got inujred :) It might be just my imagination but he seems to have filled out (in a good way, not a Ginola way) while he was away.

P.S. it's great to see Laursen shutting his critics up

vass has always been quicker, stronger and more skillful than owen...

its just the finishing that vass loses out to owen on and thats where strikers mainly get rated...

i think vass is a superb player. he seems to have come back with real purpose and his form of late has been superb...

long may it continue...

Wholeheartedly agree with all the above comments and think Vass will be back in the squad very quickly, he certainly doesn't seem to have any issues with sharpness or fitness.

I love his Engalnd appearences as he generally has such an impact for them. If Taylor hadn't stopped him scoring at Newcastle then we'd probably all be talking about how he's going on a scoring run until the end of the season too.

I put no for a few reasons.

If he plays the remaining games like he has done i will prob be wrong.

Defoe is better, so should really be infront(not saying vass is bad).

Thinking about it is there like an offical list of the quickest playeers in the prem?

Watching Real/Barca last night Eto'o is just pure pace, has to have the quickest acceleration in the world.

I think we still don't use Darius' pace to our advantage enough, I'd like to see more balls from our own half for Dazz to run onto, because not many defenders could get over him speed wise, his finishing isn't sharp, but I'm sure he can improve it. For me, DV feels one of those players who you feel is going to break out and score 30+ one season...

I put no. DV is a great asset for us but I think he lack the "footy brains" to successfully make the international arena on a consistent basis. He has most of the attributes but doesn't use them wisely.

Replacing Rooney against Portugal in Euro 2004 is an example, and not because he missed the crucial pen.Finishing is also poor, only 11 goals in last 56 for us.

Well if Heskey plays for England, so can I; therefore so can Vass. Sven seems to like him, and Darius has definitely repaid Svens faith whenever he has pulled on the three lions (except for the penalty miss of course)

Thinking about it is there like an offical list of the quickest playeers in the prem?

Watching Real/Barca last night Eto'o is just pure pace, has to have the quickest acceleration in the world.

Ive heard Rommedhal can run the 100 metres in 10.2/10.4!! Olympic standard sprinting that is (if true) :shock:

What i want to see is more direct ball over the top for him to run onto. Now i know these are hard pass's (arsenal make em look easy) but maybe something they could work on in training, i dunno :)

Ive heard Rommedhal can run the 100 metres in 10.2/10.4!! Olympic standard sprinting that is (if true)

Martin Laursen is supposedly quicker than Rommedahl according to the Denmark coaching staff. He regulary beats Gronkjaer and Rommedahl in races.

Laursen is definitely the quickest defender I've seen this season, mainly noticed it when he misjudged a couple of headers against Boro so he had to chase back after the ball.

Â