Best Games of 2014

Designer1

Nah AC2 was definitely the best imo.

But it's a pretty underwhelming series imo.

AC1 was awful. A great idea executed poorly. Boring story, incredibly dull and long cutscenes, repetitive fighting.

AC2 was basically AC1, but with all those shit bits ironed out.

Went downhill from there.

Unity would be seen as a better game had there not been an AC game every year since 2. The story alone is a bit crap but the game is a lot better than 3/Revelations. Black Flag was fun until every other mission would involve following somebody.

I disagree. The series hasn't been helped by being annualised, because they are too samey (a lot of Black Flags praise was because it was a bit different) and the multiple studios thing means even when they stumble on something compelling the next game is already well on the way so struggles to implement it.

But Unity would be derided regardless. Even people that have had positive experiences with it note how buggy and unpolished it is. The game has had tens of GB of patching at this point and it's still buggy and still doesn't perform well. The other day the latest patch was buggy itself, in some cases making Xbox owners redownload the entire game! Unity has all the foibles of the series that they have never solved, and adds in extra glitches and bugs (to a series that had always been buggy anyway). Looks pretty though.

IMO assassins creed is possibly the most overrated series in gaming history

I thought they might save it with an American revolution storyline and it was shit, got hooked by a samurai storyline and they went with French Revolution, got boring a long time a go

It's competitors being super smash brothers, Zelda, MGS...

Edited by villa4europe

Meh, I still get a kick out of them, but Unity has been the worst I've played since the first game which I really didn't think was very good. It was trying something new though, and I can appreciate that franchises take time to find their feet. The AC:2 games were much more fun, and I seem to be in the minority that I really enjoyed AC:3, but there are issues (usually to do with the controls) that continue throughout the series that irk me. I can learn to look past those if the story and setting are engaging enough, and Black Flag was definitely my deal. I bloody love pirates and the Caribbean setting, so it would have been hard for them to mess up for me.

Unity is just so bloody dull though. Arno isn't a particularly likeable character -- which after the whole Connor experience and them following him up with a much more interesting and exciting protagonist in Edward Kenway, you'd think they'd not make that mistake again -- and Paris just looks too samey for me, save for the obvious standout landmarks of course.

I particularly hate the fact that they took out whistling though. When you have a bonus objective for 100% synch that involves assassinating from hiding spots or cover, it can either make it very difficult, or it means that they shoehorn a couple of opportunities into the mission and make it far too linear, and in one case, a little ridiculous.

I played the mission where you have to sneak into the big mansion and eavesdrop in on the conversation whilst a party is going on. The bonus objective is two kills from hiding spots and they give you two linear opportunities where there are small curtained boxes at the top of the stairs in this really posh, grand house. What are those boxes for exactly? I do hope they're not toilets as they are very ill-placed in such a fine estate. It just felt boring and poorly planned out. In Black Flag you could hide in a haystack, wait for the ample time for the patrolling guard to be on his own, whistle him over and then grab him. So much more exciting.

Always thought whilsting was a bit crap though myself. Made it very easy to play when you could make half the map come check out that whilstling hay bail one by one.

I lost total interest in the story about 2/3's of the way through but I found the side missions to have more going for them and in a lot of cases they were better than the story. Where previous AC games barely tried outside of the missions (discounting Black Flag, different game entirely) this was one was a pretty big step forward. Paris is one of my favourite settings too, you could probably say some of it looks the same but you'll find it's even worse if you go back and play another AC game it's just this map is so much bigger you notice it more. The gameplay, missions and world were better than any previous land locked AC game I think, but the story and a not all that interesting Arno let it down.

Despite the drama of its release Driveclub has just been stunning for me. As a product it could have been better on a technical level perhaps ( :P ) but as a balls out driving game its perfect to me, not since intl track and field have I paid more interest into my mates and everyone else's times and scores.

Others I can think of are Infamous SS & TLOU remastered. Been a pretty cack year for me so far but I'll hopefully get GTA, dragon age and pes on ps4 for chrimbo so that will improve things I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
Â