Drones

Risso

Tarjei that looks great mate!!

Where on earth are you? Sorry if you have it on your info - I'm using the mobile site and can't see that..

Thanks! All the footage is from my hometown, on the west coast of Norway.

Edited by tarjei

First Zano ships this week. I'm backer number 8081 :(

Looking forward to hearing what you say about the Zano Limpid! When do you reckon you will get hold of one? Been following the forum to see what people say about it but they just constantly talk a load of crap on there.

I'm not the right one to ask because I've only flown about 5 minutes with a gopro on p2, and I never got to see the recording. Maybe try the reddit p3 forum?

All I can say is. I'm very happy with it. It's easy to use, both the app and the drone. Yesterday I noticed that you can adjust the gimbal wheel roll for smooth tilting, and soon they'll add a follow function on point of interest. I have no idea whether stuff like that is possible with a go pro on version 2.

As for the quality it's good enough. The bitrate is a bit low for 4k, but I'm downscaling it to 1080p anyway. It's at least on par with the latest go pro.

I guess with go pro you have the ability to shoot at a higher bitrate and a higher FPS for slow motion, but I haven't really looked into it.

For me, I didn't have a go pro, and I think it would have been just about as expensive to buy the model without the camera.

It's expensive though so if your just gonna try it for fun and personal stuff, then I'd say get something cheap and upgrade if you need something better.

vz80t1.jpg

Blackmagic already make a pretty pokey mini camera that can be gimballed and mounted on larger drones.

This one further blurs the line between domestic and pro - Clicky

Blackmagic have smashed it over the past few years, by making broadcast spec kit at a fraction of the the cost of their competitors.

Obviously there's going to be some compromise if the gear is that much cheaper, sure enough it's not as robust as traditional manufacturers.

They're also prone to letting the punters do the testing for them, and a bit of fibbing. We bought a box, that went straight back, because it wouldn't deliver what they promised at launch. The feature was meant to be coming in a software update, it was a bit vague as to when it was going to be.

That's the down, the (post sorting out teething troubles) up, is kit that can deliver amazing results.

Will be watching Youtube for demos of this.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Another great vid tarjei. Cheers for sharing. 

Limpid - anything further on the Zano? From the comments people have made on the forum it doesn't seem to have done very well with the first lot of shipments. Seems like quite a few issues need to be sorted out. Have you got yours yet? 

• 2 weeks later...

They've recently done the first ever flight of a big UAV (Watchkeeper) in civil controlled airspace. And it all went well. 

to prove is that it is possible to safely integrate and control a UAS in non-segregated airspace with conventional aircraft. Once you do that you open up enormous potential future opportunities for unmanned flight that go well beyond the kind of lightweight UAS that we’re all familiar with.

“Safety is always our top priority so a huge amount of work has gone into getting to this point and much more will be needed, but it’s a major milestone for the industry and shows that the UK and Europe are leading the world when it comes to the development of UAS and its integration into controlled airspace.”link and video

Edited by blandy

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Tayls said:

Sucks about zano!! What you going to do Limpid? Many are asking for a refund now... Can't believe Ivan quit on the project! 

I wish people would link things when they read them. I had to go searching. I'm happy to wait and see for now.

Zano is no more :(

From an email:

Dear Backers,
Following recent events, the board members have considered carefully the technical, commercial and financial viability of the Zano project.
Having explored all options known to us, and after seeking professional advice, we have made the difficult decision to pursue a creditors voluntary liquidation. All creditors will be contacted by an insolvency practitioner next week.
We are greatly disappointed with the outcome of the Zano project and we would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has supported us during this difficult period, especially our loyal employees whose commitment has exceeded all expectations.
Thank you,
Torquing Management

• 2 months later...

There has been some changes in the law in Norway this year. Most of my footage from last year would be breaking the rules this year. Fortunately I know the leader of the air traffic control tower in the town I live in, and he was kind enough to give me a heads up when he saw some of it.

Basically I can't fly within a 5 km radius of the airport (which includes the whole town center), but he said if I just call ahead and ask for permission it should be no problem most of the time.

What bothers me more is that I have to stay at least 150 meters away from people, cars and buildings. 

If I want to do make money of it things get a lot more complicated.

It does makes sense of course to have strict rules for safety, but that 150 meter rule is very limiting in terms of what type of shots you can record.

Also, I can't help but wonder what will happen with all the Lilly type drones and that type of flying. I'm guessing a large percentage of drone owners that use it recreationally will be breaking the law. But how will it be enforced? I have a suspicion that you'll be fine as long as you are not involved in any accidents or post videos of your crimes.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
On 8/14/2015 at 05:07, tarjei said:

Got my first drone last week. Went with the DJI Phantom 3 Pro. Very happy with it so far. Only had 5 flights with it, but I'm already comfortable experimenting with it and flying close to ground or right next to trees, etc. It's so easy to maneuver, although getting smooth video while turning and such seems difficult, especially since the video feed turns laggy on my Galaxy S6.

Gonna spend the autumn and winter practicing, then I'll probably apply for a commercial license and hopefully I'll make enough from it to fund a better model.

I'm looking at a Phantom 3 right now. Think I might buy one. It seems like fun, and if there's a few shekels to be made in a year from now, all the better. Real Estate companies are a massive opportunity for drone operators here in the US. 

How is everything working out for you?

Â