Drones

Risso

I've been accepted on the Zano beta programme. I guess that most people who applied are on it. Hopefully early access will be more good than bad :)

Nice one. When do you get to play with one? I went to purchase one yesterday, on the site it had them down as £169 but when you add it to the shopping cart and go to checkout it is back as £199. Sent an email to them but not had a response yet....

Edited by Tayls

The DJI is supremely easy to use Tayls, and an entirely different beast to the Zano. It comes pretty well ready to fly, and you just need to download the DJI app for your mobile phone. There's a really good DJI users page on Facebook too.

They look excellent. Strike me as being the 'Apple' of the drone world. Just a bit expensive to begin with though I think. Tempted to start small with the Zano and see how I get on, whilst saving some pennies for something a bit bigger! How often do you go out and use yours?

As often as I can, which is largely weather dependent. I've got some spectacular shots with it lately.

Post some up, post some up!

I've learnt to be patient with kickstarters. I've not remembered the expected dates as they usually slip. That way I get a nice surprise when they ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Limpid how is the kickstarter looking?

They confirmed shipping address the other day. I'm backer #20651 so it'll be a few more days I guess :)
Haha, surprised by the amount of backers, pretty good going! I've decided to hold off getting one until I see some reviews and I know it is guaranteed to come out properly. Let me know how you got on with it.

Whilst waiting, I have bought myself a gopro instead...

Edited by Tayls

I am dumb. That's my backer number for Pebble Time. For Zano I'm #8081. Still no shipping dates yet.

Oh Limpid you silly bean!! ;) ... Cool, keep me informed on progress, keen to hear your thoughts on it.

What's with the DJI ads by the way? Are you trying to make me spend all my hard earned pennies!! :)

Edited by Tayls

What's with the DJI ads by the way? Are you trying to make me spend all my heard earned pennies!! :)

I don't select the ads. The advertising partners pick them based on their profile of you and the content of the page. I haven't seen those ads yet.

What's with the DJI ads by the way? Are you trying to make me spend all my heard earned pennies!! :)

I don't select the ads. The advertising partners pick them based on their profile of you and the content of the page. I haven't seen those ads yet.
Oh right! Strange one. I see the phantom3 pop up on numerous occasions and it makes me cry almost. Wish the women would let me buy one :(

Right now I have an ad for crown oil... Random.

Edited by Tayls

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I fancy getting one of these just for a laugh. Recommendations?

I want something with a decent video facility (or that I can mount a go pro on) and easy to fly because I'm proper amateur.

Well I'm biassed, but the DJI Vision is a brilliant bit of kit.  They've just released the 3, which means you can pick up the two fairly cheaply, and the only difference I can tell is that the 3 has a 4K camera. 

• 1 month later...

Someone was going to ruin it.

Chatting to my neighbour last night. He told me that he'd been buzzed by a drone (unarmed!) that was following him around his allotment.

It wouldn't leave him alone, so he fecked it off by chucking King Edwards at it :D

Edited by Xann

Is there a business to be made from using one of these?

TV production companies will use these a lot. I suspect news channels will too. There are people who make money selling people aerial shots of their house so I guess you could do that. What are you thinking?

In the quiet countryside outside of Brighton, a screaming battle in the skies is under way.

This derelict farm "in the middle of nowhere" doesn't usually see much action, save for the odd bit of sheep shearing.

But, this weekend, dozens of aviation enthusiasts from Sussex's drone club have come to take part in a sport that's rapidly grown in popularity - competitive drone racing.

The idea originates from the US and to the uninitiated competitors look strange, to say the least.

drone2-1-960x720.jpg

One of the competitors in action

Those taking part wear virtual-reality style glasses with alien-like antennae poking from the top. It allows footage to be relayed to them in real-time giving the user the effect that they're actually flying on board with their drones.

Using these first person view controllers, competitors go head-to-head in a thrilling race around the pre-laid course.

http://news.sky.com/story/1521434/battle-in-the-skies-drone-racing-takes-off

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Got my first drone last week. Went with the DJI Phantom 3 Pro. Very happy with it so far. Only had 5 flights with it, but I'm already comfortable experimenting with it and flying close to ground or right next to trees, etc. It's so easy to maneuver, although getting smooth video while turning and such seems difficult, especially since the video feed turns laggy on my Galaxy S6.

Gonna spend the autumn and winter practicing, then I'll probably apply for a commercial license and hopefully I'll make enough from it to fund a better model.

I've been practicing some moves. I've had about 7 flights and just got two extra batteries to extend the flight time a bit. Still struggling a bit with panning and tilting. It doesn't help that the feed is so choppy and on a delay on my android device. I hope that will be improved. The final edit is a bit choppy at times as well. I guess it's because the shutter speed is to quick and I'll need an ND-filter?

Link removed

Edited by tarjei
  • Like 4

Â