What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

In my own special way I’m quite ignorant of most music.

My version of the Radiohead / Thom York joke, I genuinely have no idea what sort of music genre Pearl Jam would be. No mental picture of any Pearl Jam artwork for reference.

I’m sure I’ve probably most likely heard some on the radio, but I wouldn’t know it was them.

Pebble gargling mainstream grunge is, I am sure, what their wikipedia page files them under.  

• Like 1

I need help. I have this I have no clue who it is or what its called and the label only says 45rpm. Edit Post rock noodling.  Shazam tells me thats Souvaris. 

r8vyKvo.jpg
4PC2Aa4.jpg

Edited by Seat68

Linked slightly to Paris Angels in that it was released by the same label. This abomination is a cover of the VU tune. Its not weathered well and I appear to have a lot more shitty baggy cash in 12 inches than I first thought. 

Just now, Seat68 said:

I have just spent 11 minutes giving it a listen. Its fairly pleasant in a post rock way. American Analog Set spring to mind. Checked my email for mention of Souvaris and a friend of a friend was in them so thats where this came from. 

Discogs

Do you not use Discogs?

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

I don’t. Don’t get me wrong I am aware of it and looked at it once or twice. Is it accurate? 

Yeah, it's a brilliant resource. Even if you don't bother getting an account.

The vast majority of info is sound in my experience. I live on it, pretty much.

Sign up and you can log your own collection and buy from other collectors and stores.

Crucially it breaks up the presses, allowing you to choose say a particular colour vinyl, or a Japanese edition (which are usually better sounding). 

• Like 3

Just now, Xann said:

Yeah, it's a brilliant resource. Even if you don't bother getting an account.

The vast majority of info is sound in my experience. I live on it, pretty much.

Sign up and you can log your own collection and buy from other collectors and stores.

Crucially it breaks up the presses, allowing you to choose say a particular colour vinyl, or a Japanese edition (which are usually better sounding). 

I did a quick test with a couple of very obscure releases. Its pretty good. Now going to go down a record rabbit hole. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I did a quick test with a couple of very obscure releases. Its pretty good. Now going to go down a record rabbit hole. 

The search bar is very flexible. You can enter a combination of search strings. The artist and the song title in the same search will throw up the albums that the tune is on. If it's on compilations they also will come up.

Clicking on the earliest release listed of a particular album will often supply the personnel involved at the bottom. So if you ever wondered who that mandolin player was? It's very useful. Then you can click on them, select  'Appears On' and it all gets very expensive :D 

Edited by Xann
  • Like 1

Guy behind the counter in Sounds of the Universe gave me a record for free because I said I liked it.

He said that was what he’d been told to do, play it, and give it free to anyone that asked about it but didn’t have any clue what it was.

He wrote TEXT044 on a piece of paper and said, go home and then look it up on Discogs.

• Like 3

There's an artist called Ninja McTits that plays merry hell with Discogs. He's got banned a few times. Some of his entries are funny though.

Wahey!

First out of the 12" dungeon tonight is Move Me -by The Woodentops

I always liked this but they Wahey is because it was in the wrong inner sleeve... It was in a white paper lined Inner sleeve with FCL Product Nr 50 printed on both sides. My first pressing copy of New Order's Movement Album just increased in value quite a bit, it is now whole again (which is much more important to me than the value - right sleeve for the right record!)

Anyway, the song that first got me into the Woodentops

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I didn’t know I owned that. I found today with a brief flick through I have a Pearl Jam white label of Alive. No clue where its come from I know its never been played. 

My CD sort out.... 4 Pearl Jam albums... What the actual F... Can't say I've listened to a single one ever, why I bought them (at least three were bought) I have no idea.

DO you think the only reason they were succesful is because the word is full of people like us, who own their product for no good reason?

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

My CD sort out.... 4 Pearl Jam albums... What the actual F... Can't say I've listened to a single one ever, why I bought them (at least three were bought) I have no idea.

DO you think the only reason they were succesful is because the word is full of people like us, who own their product for no good reason?

Lots of men looking at their albums during lockdown and saying how the bloody hell do I own Pearl Jam. Seems likely. 

• Like 1

Next up, curiosity got the better of me... (I really have no recollection of the band)

As I recall, pilfered from Chapter 22's office and probably never played until now

A white label of...

Â