Your greatest day ! ( No wedding or childbirth stories)

Brumerican

As a confessed gamer, yes. Release days of games that are classics and usually 4-5 years apart are up there with Xmas mornings as some of my happiest moments that make me feel like a kid again.

The day I joined VT.

thumbsupcomputerkid.gif

• Like 4

each to their own I guess, with the computer games

I've never really got the huge excitement of computer games - and I was a bit of a champion on those first arcade games, Asteroids and Space Invaders and all that back in the day. Banned from most places for being able to spend 10p and play a machine all day if I was so inclined. I know there have been some technical advances since PacMan. But each to their own as I say. I get properly excited getting back stage at a gig, like a kid doing the whole photo's posing with guitars and all that crap. But my missus just looks at me blank when I tell her I sat in the aircraft seat from Gruff's Skylon song or I've shared a vodka with the Reverend D Wayne Love etc..

I guess my degree was quite a big thing. I don't personally rate degrees as a measure of anything very much other than the ability to get a degree. But I did mine late in life, I did 5 years not only condensed into 2, but did them in the evenings whilst holding down a full time job. Nearly **** killed me, but I did it. Hasn't made a jot of difference to my ability to do my job but Clients pay substantially more per hour now it's on my CV. 

T In The Park and seeing Pixies (original line up) for the first time was pretty amazing.  

I think 96 against Leeds just edges out 94 against Man Ure. Was a couple of years older, and able to get away with drinking a couple more beers. Plus we were magnificent that day.

I had a day at the cricket in the party stand, at the Kensington Oval, in Barbados too. That was brilliant. Basically you paid in for the equivalent of £40, and could drink as much as you wanted, while watching England play the West Indies in glorious sunshine. So much rum! Watching England and Stuart Broad rip through the Aussies, to secure winning the Ashes in 2013 at Chester-Le-Street was a pretty special day too.

My greatest day was the 14th of March 2014, or as I like to call it Gold Cup Day. See, there is this competition in a bar in Tralee every Cheltenham & I've been obsessed with it ever since I got into horse racing at the age of 19. It's €100 to enter and there is 150 spots each thinks they know more about horses then the last. Sadly I couldn't afford to enter while I was in college so this was just my second year entering and I was so determined all year that I was going to win it after a decent but ultimately disappointing showing the year before where I second guessed myself a lot. Sadly however, I awoke on the final day in about 30th place close enough to touching distance to the leader board but not really with any chance of winning it. I got up and said look there's always next year I'm going to go down at about 12 today drink as much as I can come home at 6 and go to bed. I'd actually been having a great Cheltenham I went to the bank Tuesday morning to take out €120 and I'd been drinking and betting 3 days and not gone to the ATM since, and still had about €300 quid in my wallet, but being honest my betting success was tainted by my performance in the competition where I had made some costly errors not going with horses that I had fancied mainly Holywell, Faugheen & Fingal Bay and I was left thinking what might have been, but I just got in the mind set that I was going to enjoy the day and get pissed. In fact my Dad & Uncle had entered jointly and being doing quiet well they were around 6th I think.

In for the first race, the grade 1 Triumph hurdle, my horse Royal Irish Hussar was being well back, I had being checking his entries nearly daily to see when he would run again all season but nothing, and the fact he was coming here without a run since before Christmas had me worried, he disappointed and was not in the first 3, a few people had the winner and it was at this moment I thought, I'm not winning that competition this year. So I'm slugging pints must have had 6 before the first race, my horse in the next is Lac Fontana, I'm well on it at this stage, and I roar him up the hill, he stays on strongly and wins by a narrow margin I can't honestly remember how short or wide it was but he won, and I'd him backed too at a tasty 12/1. So just after this race my friend comes in a real nice quiet lad who would do anything for you without question. So I get him a pint and we start drinking.

The next race the entire bar was on the favourite Briar Hill, except for me, and when he falls early doors, I'm excited my horse Kings Palace has tore off in front and I think he's going to do it but he eventually falls when well beaten. The Gold Cup is next and Bob's Worth runs an absolute stinker, losing at Cheltenham for the first time. Around this time my friend is pretty well on it as well but he's way behind me still. The next race is the Foxhunters and he goes to me give me a horse I can back in this race, and I go look I really really fancy Tammy's Hill, and he goes yeah but I can't back your horse in case I jinx you. So I tell him cop the **** on and go out back the horse, what a race Tammy cruises around the bend on the bridle, we're there like 2 drunk fools roaring as if he's in a neck and neck battle with Kauto Star, he pops the last and wins by 4 at a handsome 8/1.The two of us are so pissed that we have forgot all about the competition so I send him over to check, and he comes back and tells me I'm top, my Dad and Uncle are about 5th. Onto the next race and we're still slugging away. My dad actually got word for a horse from a delivery guy who delivers to him & Willie Mullins and that horse was Don Poli at 12/1. He was our horse for the next race, off  we go and Poli lands the spoils, we've big money on him & we're going absolutely nuts at this stage. Anyway I'm thinking at this stage I'm going to be disgusted to lead going into the last and lose, I can't even remember what horse I had for the last race but he was nowhere. In fact I was so pissed that I didn't realise it was mathematically impossible for anyone other than my Dad & Uncle to beat me, before the race myself & my dad who'd just finished work shock hands and said good luck. Savello won and I was convinced I'd lost it but I'd actually won quiet handsomely, €4,000 into my hand, my dad & uncle splitting €2,000, I must have been up another €1,200+ for the week. For some reason I didn't head home at 6 o'clock like planned at all. Don't remember much after that, great day though.
  • Like 2

Â